Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 16, 2014, 02:33:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Claimed for $16k, sets track record just 28 days later  (Read 1128 times)
vegas jay

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2011, 06:02:59 AM »

I read this story at ThoroEdge Equine Performance. Although it deals with t-breds, I wonder if there might be some kind of equivalent application for standardbreds. Maybe some of you who have trained harness horses might have an idea or comment.....

Here's the link.....

www.thoroedge.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/claimed-for-16k-and-sets-a-track-record-just-28-days-later/
Report to moderator   Logged
Homeboyhanover

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 06:12:05 AM »

Technology is truly changing the game.
flukemaster

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:39:54 AM »

What about Doctor Libby?Huh
John the kiwi

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:04:58 AM »

When I was younger I used to work on a seiner, a long liner and a trawler during the summer in high school and university. I know what fishy smells like. I would classify this as "three days in the sun mackerel bait" fishy. I'm sure there is an element of fact in it but 28 days?
sternnation

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »

Check out 10k claimer Ringside Lauryn who beat open trotting mares.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 04:56:01 PM »

I have asked trainers over and over again why they dont train harness horses like endurance horse?
You would not believe the Bull pucky answers I get back.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Homeboyhanover

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »

Check out 10k claimer Ringside Lauryn who beat open trotting mares.
5 seconds in 8 days. You could make an argument for the track conditions, pace of the race... but, from 10's to opens and cleaned their clock. No way. There is no logical explination other than chemistry.
GunPowderNLead

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 07:10:29 AM »

Nice article Vegas Jay...and it is true. Many old horsemen essentially practice these techniques but they do not add in the modern heart monitoring equipment so while they are on the right track they aren't fully there and are guessing in the end.

Used to have a horse that never trained...jogged 6mi every day and 8mi the day prior to racing. He was a Stake champion and held records for several years. My horse had what many horses do not have...heart. If a horse has heart and desire to do well, you are 3/4 of the way there to having yourself a champ (whether it be stake races or FFA/Open). If they do not have the heart and desire to race, the drugs chemists give help and make them hard to beat but sooner or later they fade out.

What makes things frustrating in current times is that where previously there were a handful of horses that had the heart/desire making them rise to the top and staying there, now there are more chemists (from top dollar money no object, to amateur ya this works even if not on the up-n-up) and it is harder for the horses to distinguish themselves and their trainers. When you have a horse that races it's heart out for you week in and week out and it has physical ailments (minor or large) but because it has the heart to want to win is out there chasing the tails of chemically induced superstars which no one (,not the trainer nor the owner,) gives a crap about 'cause it doesn't add to their bank account, it makes people give up.
BabyFireFly

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 07:57:07 AM »

What makes things frustrating in current times is that where previously there were a handful of horses that had the heart/desire making them rise to the top and staying there, now there are more chemists (from top dollar money no object, to amateur ya this works even if not on the up-n-up) and it is harder for the horses to distinguish themselves and their trainers. When you have a horse that races it's heart out for you week in and week out and it has physical ailments (minor or large) but because it has the heart to want to win is out there chasing the tails of chemically induced superstars which no one (,not the trainer nor the owner,) gives a crap about 'cause it doesn't add to their bank account, it makes people give up.

BINGO! And it's not just the people who give up, the horse's themselves get discouraged and lose their confidence. Of course they don't understand why, but many "big hearted" horses end up spitting the bit after awhile, the equivalent of them throwing there arms up in the air and saying, "why bother?"
BabyFireFly

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 08:13:05 AM »

I'm a fan of cross-training when it comes to racehorses. Growing up I was always taught to vary the types of exercises I did with my sport horses - arena work for bending and flexing, field gallops to build up a horse's air, hill work for strength and muscle building, etc. Now, it still amazes me the first time I work with a harness horse under saddle just how hard it is for them to do simple variation work. A horse that could trot 2 minute miles or better week in and week out, would be blowing hard from 10 minutes of trotting in collected figure eights in the arena when he is asked to "use himself" in a way other than jogging a large oval.

Also, Dover Saddlery sells a heart monitor for horses that costs somewhere around $100 for the system. It comes with a wristband display, so you can monitor heart rates as you work them. Not only is is good for conditioning, but also for horses prone to a-fib.
vegas jay

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 05:59:11 AM »

I really enjoy your insights as folks who have trained horses. I only know them from a betting standpoint, but I have a great interest in all the work that goes into getting the most out of a horse's ability -- without breaking them down and without breaking the rules (banned medications).

The work you horsemen and horsewomen do is definitely a skill for which I have great admiration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: