Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 23, 2014, 10:04:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what to give to make a horse eat  (Read 7750 times)
foxtrot

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2011, 06:02:51 AM »

have a two year old filly that is started to race but having trouble to get her to eat looking for suggestions thanks
Report to moderator   Logged
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 09:49:28 AM »

Was she always a poor eater or is this recent?  If recent, you're going to have to look for what's bothering her... soreness, tying up, stress, etc.  Check her teeth.
   Other than that, feed her small amounts several times a day.. whatever she will clean up, might be only a handful at a time.  Check her feed tub after 20 minutes or so.  If it's cleaned up, praise her, wait awhile, then give her a little more.  Always praise her when she cleans it up.  You may have to go on like this all day for several days until her appetite picks up.  Don't leave any feed laying in the tub.  If she doesn't eat it, take it away, and offer it again later.  Especially in this weather with the flys.  Keep your feed tubs clean, no bigger turn-off then a sour smelling feed tub with flys buzzing up in their face. For that matter, clean water pails (2) and a free choice salt block, too.  Equimin mineral blocks are great.
   My horse will leave a little of his breakfast, so I feed less for breakfast (figured out what he will clean up) and try to make up for it at lunch. You're going to have to experiment and figure out a system that works.
  You're also going to have to experiment to find feed she likes.  Bran mashes usually work for me for the main meal where I give all the supplements.  I also like soaked alfalfa cubes to hydrate and add weight, and the horses scarf that up.
    No doubt someone will come on here about stomach ulcers, and all kinds of meds you should be giving.  Alfalfa great for that, too.  Read an interesting magazine article a while back on a study done on equine stomach ulcers.  Seems the bottom third of the stomach is lined with something that can handle stomach acid while the top 2/3 is lined with something vulnerable to it.  When horses are exercised on empty stomachs the acid splashes up to the higher part and that's where most ulcers occur.  It was suggested in this article to prevent ulcers, feeding a horse some alfalfa hay before exercise not only absorbed the acid and prevented it splashing around, but the calcium content of the alfalfa buffered it also. All I know is: my horses always look good and are healthy.  I always feed hay with the breakfast feed, I've always gotten a horse to eat, and never had one I suspected of having ulcers. (Years ago I was informed by an "expert" who read it in a book that bran mashes were bad.  Since my horses thrived on them, I continued to feed it.  Scientific studies later showed the phosphorous in the bran was being balanced by the calcium in the alfalfa so that apparently was the reason why I never had any problem)  btw, I don't over-do the alfalfa, either.  Limited amount of cubes every day.  Regular timothy hay to keep them busy the rest of the time.
   I was brought up the old-fashioned way, learned my horsemanship skills from the old-timers, and never seem to have the problems with horses that most people complain about. I find it interesting that even though the old-timers may not have known the scientific reason for doing something, their ways seem to show time and again to be the proper way to do things.

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
tankin

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 05:38:19 PM »

skills? laughing guy
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »

Yeah, skills.  I've handled and re-trained enough rangatangs to make that claim.  Proven my ability many times.  What, pray tell, are your accomplishments?  Oh right, you prefer to ridicule while remaining anonymous.   Kiss

fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:49:06 PM »

Yeah, skills.  I've handled and re-trained enough rangatangs to make that claim.  Proven my ability many times.  What, pray tell, are your accomplishments?  Oh right, you prefer to ridicule while remaining anonymous.   Kiss
Quite interesting OGM! Instead of at least trying to help some one out they look for something to cut you down.
But then again the posters name kind of explains it all just to bad they dont offer even a table spoon of advice.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
pacindel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »

You got a few like that on here.  Good advise OGM.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 12:41:07 PM »

have a two year old filly that is started to race but having trouble to get her to eat looking for suggestions thanks
Its funny usually the fillys and young ones so I usually give them friend another horses around the same age if possible that they can be with and hang around. That has almost always done the trick for me remeber they are heard animals.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
dennycrane

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 02:36:56 PM »

i have never seen one starve to death with feed available to them.....a horse should have free choice hay 24 hrs a day....watch a horse turned out on pasture his head is down 75% OF THE TIME
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 06:37:02 AM »

Just an added note... for tankin especially... when I say oldtimers I mean Grand Circuit grooms to Hall of Fame trainers... the former I worked with, the latter I worked for.  And you want to know what the common denominator was for all of them?  They were kind to and respected their horses.

BabyFireFly

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »

skills? laughing guy

Skilled.

Glad you threw the alfalfa thing in there....I take it myself. Best bit of advice I have - know your horse.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 05:45:20 AM »

Really?  They make Source supplement for people which I take.

BabyFireFly

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 03:25:37 AM »

Really?  They make Source supplement for people which I take.

Yup, 12 alfalfa tabs per day....it's the ONLY thing that curbed the horrific heartburn that I had through both pregnancies and now I take it for the extra iron / milk production (yes, I'm talking lactation - get over it).
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »

As a former Grand Curcuit groom and assistant to HOF horsemen in the past, I can chime in here and laugh at any scorn thrown my way.  Here goes......
  Not an unusual occurance for a filly to back off the grain when learning the ropes.  Usually, less of one or the other is the fix.  In other words less work between races, and or less grain.  I always went with a half can of sweet feed, and a half of oats, along with the usual vitamin supplements, and good timothy/alfalfa mix hay.  Sometimes it was a case of them not taking to the supplement via the feed, and another form of administration was employed, usually oral.  I usually backed off the oats, and increased the sweet feed balance to make up the ration as well.  I have had a few that did well with a mash 2-3x a week in place of regular ration too, but ya gotta watch the looseness issues along with that.  Have used straight mollasses added to the ration with sucess as well.  Spryella Hanover comes to mind on this one....a tempermental filly (but boy could she trot!!), she never touched her grain without this enticement.  The teeth have been discussed, but by and large its a mental thing, and a phase for alot of them.  Some are just poor doers, and you have to treat each of them as an individual.  What works for one may not work for another.  Find out what she likes, and give it to her......
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »

Not trying to be a smartass here.  I've heard that before, that mashes make for loose manure.  I've never had that problem.  Never.  Fed a lot of lasix horses bran mashes every day for lunch.  Really hydrates them, makes for a big wet spot to clean every day, but that's good, right?
   Something that puzzles me... if bran is recommended for humans to "regulate" them... bulk them up so to speak.... why would it be assumed to cause diarrhea in horses?  I would think it would be the opposite, you would want to feed it to a horse who had the runs.

BabyFireFly

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 11:11:14 AM »

The only thing that worries me with feeding wheat bran on a daily basis is the inverted calcium -> phos. ratio, which over time could lead to bone disorders. But then again, feeding it once a week also goes against the old rule of keeping a consistant diet and avoiding a quick change in types/amounts of feedstuffs. I have found it invaluable in treating impactions and even twist colics by keeping the gut well lubed.
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 05:02:44 PM »

Have always fed a mash after heavy works and races.  It does indeed help with the tye ups, and poor doersas well. Much more apt to go after a mash vs dry feed of most any type if picky.  Have had a few that got it once a day, every day, and they stay loose as a result, but we keep the head in the tub, and thats what we are after.
meadowskipper

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 07:44:32 PM »

to all you Grand Curcuit grooms  beer
BIG SEXY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 08:51:14 AM »

as you are all talking about feeding mashes, my question is what do you put in them and how much? oats, vitamins, etc. etc...
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »

as you are all talking about feeding mashes, my question is what do you put in them and how much? oats, vitamins, etc. etc...

We always used coffee cans so figure on that.....a full can of mash, half can of sweet feed, half can oats, redglo supplement, piping hot water. Nice and soupy.....mix by hand vigorously.
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 11:37:58 AM »

to all you Grand Curcuit grooms  beer
  2 minutes of glory and a lifetime of dreams......
meadowskipper

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »

2 minutes of glory and a lifetime of dreams......
alife time of memories for me Hambo in DuQuoin,Little Brown Jug racing the Curcuit for 5 years with the great Greenwave Stable from the beer tents in Springfield and DuQuoin to Jug Day and the wet T-shirt contest and the cookout's in Lexington with Kenny Calisle and the Cowboys  beer
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »

alife time of memories for me Hambo in DuQuoin,Little Brown Jug racing the Curcuit for 5 years with the great Greenwave Stable from the beer tents in Springfield and DuQuoin to Jug Day and the wet T-shirt contest and the cookout's in Lexington with Kenny Calisle and the Cowboys  beer

Big Teddy throwin BBQ in pits at DuQuoin, using stud gates for grills...Sleeping above the stalls and watching the people play with your horses.....Race Saturday, ship Sunday, walk Monday, jog Tuesday, train Wed., ect.....train at 0300hrs.  Sleeping in front of your horses stall.  Owners that tipped weekly.  Free beer everywhere we went, and could drink it all day, anywhere, in front of bossman, ect......rubbing 1 all summer.  Kids have no idea how it really was.....
meadowskipper

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »

Big Teddy throwin BBQ in pits at DuQuoin, using stud gates for grills...Sleeping above the stalls and watching the people play with your horses.....Race Saturday, ship Sunday, walk Monday, jog Tuesday, train Wed., ect.....train at 0300hrs.  Sleeping in front of your horses stall.  Owners that tipped weekly.  Free beer everywhere we went, and could drink it all day, anywhere, in front of bossman, ect......rubbing 1 all summer.  Kids have no idea how it really was.....
I remember the BBQs in DuQuoin put on by Brookledge,Woodbury and Frys over in the corner by JR blacksmith shop (aka tent) and lets not forget John Barker !!!
BIG SEXY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 07:18:24 PM »

that was "Kenny Carlisle and the Cadillac Cowboys". I know this because they would always play in the merchants building upstairs at the Mercer County Fair. and it got drunk out alot in them days.
meadowskipper

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 05:13:24 AM »

hay Buggy Boy and Sexy if you are on Face Book checkout (I partied on the Grand Curcuit) some of the people from the 70s-80s are on there.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: