Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 28, 2014, 10:32:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow Goldy! Amazing even in defeat...  (Read 1249 times)
Horse Voice

« on: June 14, 2011, 08:38:58 AM »

She tried SO fecking hard!

She looked like she just hated getting beat.

The winner, Canford Cliffs, was just a bit too much for her today.

Well done to both animals. What a treat on a Tuesday morning!
Report to moderator   Logged
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:40:31 AM »

Great race, for a second there the horse 3 wide looked like he was a winner.
arlingtonmatt

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:41:22 AM »

Is this being streamed online anywhere since I  don't have HRTV/TVG? Sad

Edit: Nevermind, found a link http://www.fromsportcom.com/v-2/8/124/v-292545.html
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:45:38 AM by arlingtonmatt » Report to moderator   Logged
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:33:55 AM »

She tried SO fecking hard!

She looked like she just hated getting beat.

The winner, Canford Cliffs, was just a bit too much for her today.

Well done to both animals. What a treat on a Tuesday morning!

Canford Cliffs got the run of the race, shadowing her every move from behind, and always (to me) appeared to be going more comfortably. I don't think Goldikova had her best acceleration today, and I'm not sure straight-course racing is ideal for her. In fact, I might even argue that she is at her very best around tight turns in America. She's just so handy and quick.

Agreed, though - she ran hard and well. And this, I think, is exactly what bothered some people during the Zenyatta era. Would we have thought less of Zenyatta running hard and well and losing to a horse as good as Canford Cliffs? Of course not. We would have thought more of her, and racing would have been better for the experience. Losing is just one more part of racing.
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:50:47 AM »

It didn't take long for some maniac to bring up Zenyatta, what she has to do with this race I'll never know.

Turns out the jockey on Goldikova changed his boots before the race and came back two pounds over.  The guys on TVG are claiming it cost her the race, I disagree, I think the other horse was just a little better today.
Horse Voice

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 10:13:56 AM »

Turns out the jockey on Goldikova changed his boots before the race and came back two pounds over.  The guys on TVG are claiming it cost her the race, I disagree, I think the other horse was just a little better today.

I agree.

Thoro-Graph has a rather well-worn scale that says 5 lbs. = ~ 1 length over the course of a race, and even if that is rejected as inadequate by the Sheets haters, Canford Cliffs carried 126 lbs while Goldy's *stated* impost was 123 lbs...so she carried 125 instead.

After further review: Pffft! The extra 2 lbs. probably didn't hurt Goldy at all...more likely that her age (6 years old) is a bigger factor than the weight. 
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:15:47 AM »

I agree.

Thoro-Graph has a rather well-worn scale that says 5 lbs. = ~ 1 length over the course of a race, and even if that is rejected as inadequate by the Sheets haters, Canford Cliffs carried 126 lbs while Goldy's *stated* impost was 123 lbs...so she carried 125 instead.

After further review: Pffft! The extra 2 lbs. probably didn't hurt Goldy at all...more likely that her age (6 years old) is a bigger factor than the weight. 

Not sure if you heard the TVG guys but they are claiming 2 pounds equal on length.  I'd lean more towards the 5 pounds that you brought up. 
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 10:17:49 AM »

It didn't take long for some maniac to bring up Zenyatta

Swell name-calling. Well played.
Horse Voice

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 10:18:23 AM »

How much do you want to bet that they are saying "pounds" but thinking "kilos"?

THAT would be correct.
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 10:21:11 AM »

How much do you want to bet that they are saying "pounds" but thinking "kilos"?

THAT would be correct.

Certainly possible, but it is Simon Bray as they are doing their own coverage.
Horse Voice

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 11:53:34 AM »

Certainly possible, but it is Simon Bray as they are doing their own coverage.

Simon is from England but moved here as an adult -- probably even MORE prone to the occasional mix-up between metric and U.S. systems.
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 12:25:35 PM »

Since 125 pounds would be about 60 kilos or so, who would get confused?
Horse Voice

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 12:31:14 PM »

Since 125 pounds would be about 60 kilos or so, who would get confused?

You, apparently.

We were not discussing total rider + tack weight -- we were discussing the extra 2 lbs. Goldy carried (due to rider equipment error).

Please start at beginning of thread and read forward -- it will explain things.
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 12:40:05 PM »

Thanks for clearing everything up for me.I should have known better than to have a little fun with you.I forget that you are the fount of all knowledge on things equine,and,well,everything else,too.I defer to your humorless world of omniscience.Buhbye.
Horse Voice

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 12:53:18 PM »

Thanks for clearing everything up for me.I should have known better than to have a little fun with you.I forget that you are the fount of all knowledge on things equine,and,well,everything else,too.I defer to your humorless world of omniscience.Buhbye.

My goodness. Who pissed in YOUR Post Toasties this morning?

It sounded like you came in to the thread late, and I redirected you to the beginning for read-through -- rather politely, I thought.

I didn't get the "humor" in your statement. I assure you that I am not a humorless person. Is it at all possible that what you thought was a funny comment simply missed the mark?

Here:  chillpill

Now: breathe.
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 01:21:20 PM »

Swell name-calling. Well played.

Sorry your itty bitty feelings were hurt but you of course did not answer the question, what does Zenyatta have to do with this race?  You used to bring up that argument all the time when you spoke of RA.  What's the matter your own rules are good enough for everyone but you?

The people who have to announce their retirement from these forums for all to read are just those looking for a hug, remember your great retirement post?  Follow it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:25:02 PM by OTB » Report to moderator   Logged
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »

Sorry your itty bitty feelings were hurt but you of course did not answer the question, what does Zenyatta have to do with this race?  You used to bring up that argument all the time when you spoke of RA.  What's the matter your own rules are good enough for everyone but you?

The people who have to announce their retirement from these forums for all to read are just those looking for a hug, remember your great retirement post?  Follow it.

Still with the run-on sentences, OTB?

Let's see. Discussion of greatest mares of recent years. Would both Zen and Goldikova be involved? Duh. We just saw one of them get beat. Another one's career had everything to do with not ever getting beat while not racing against worthy competition. It seems completely pertinent to me.

Also, you're telling me to leave the forum? Really? All the more reason for me to come back with a vengeance, bub.

OTB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 01:59:51 PM »

Still with the run-on sentences, OTB?

Let's see. Discussion of greatest mares of recent years. Would both Zen and Goldikova be involved? Duh. We just saw one of them get beat. Another one's career had everything to do with not ever getting beat while not racing against worthy competition. It seems completely pertinent to me.

Also, you're telling me to leave the forum? Really? All the more reason for me to come back with a vengeance, bub.

Still having trouble reading the topic headlines there Marcus?  The topic is about today's race where Canford Cliffs beat Goldikova in a thrilling stretch run.  You for some reason mentioned Zenyatta who did not run in the race.  I know of your fixation with the mare but try human females you may have better luck.

I'm not telling you to leave the forum, not at all.  I'm just suggesting you live by the words you write.  Learn to read.

Let me know if you ever come to a NYRA track "bub" and we can discuss horse racing over a lemonade. 

You left because you couldn't take me, I stayed and if you return that's good.  If you don't return that's good as well.

You threw a hissy fit because you were arguing with another poster and I happened to agree with them by giving them a simple thumbs up for a post they made.  I see you don't like people to have a viewpoint other than yours.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:05:45 PM by OTB » Report to moderator   Logged
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 02:10:18 PM »

Let me know if you ever come to a NYRA track "bub" and we can discuss horse racing over a lemonade. 

Oh - you're a New Yorker. That explains a lot. Bensonhurst? Somewhere on The Island?
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »

Oh - you're a New Yorker. That explains a lot. Bensonhurst? Somewhere on The Island?

I think he's actually a Jersey guy.
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »

Canford Cliffs now 5 for his last 5 all at one mile and all Group 1's.  Here's hoping they both come to the BC.  Looks like the North American runners will be lucky to hit the board if current form holds.
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 04:41:33 PM »

Canford Cliffs now 5 for his last 5 all at one mile and all Group 1's.  Here's hoping they both come to the BC.  Looks like the North American runners will be lucky to hit the board if current form holds.

And this is different than any other recent year how?
JoeMama

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 05:02:54 PM »

They slugged it out. I wonder what their Timeforms will be.
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 07:17:02 PM »

And this is different than any other recent year how?

It's a shame you never heard of a horse named Kip Deville, he was the last horse not named Goldikova to win the mile.

Learn the game.
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 11:42:43 PM »

It's a shame you never heard of a horse named Kip Deville, he was the last horse not named Goldikova to win the mile.

Learn the game.

Wait - whose byline is that?

http://www.drf.com/news/soft-turf-suits-kip-deville-just-fine
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 05:21:03 AM »

Doesn't change how wrong you were with your first statement, but then again that's nothing new.
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 07:34:03 AM »

Doesn't change how wrong you were with your first statement, but then again that's nothing new.

Last five years of the big BC turf races (Mile, Turf, F & M Turf) Euros have won 10 of 15 races. I'll stand by my original statement.
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 09:10:56 AM »

Last five years of the big BC turf races (Mile, Turf, F & M Turf) Euros have won 10 of 15 races. I'll stand by my original statement.

And you'll be very wrong as usual.  Your statement answered my statement of the Americans struggling to hit the board this year.  You followed with "how is that different from ANY other year."  Winning the race is certainly not struggling to hit the board.  Kip Deville, Artie Schiller and Singeltary won the race in 3 of 4 runnings between 2004 and 2007 so that is hardly struggling to hit the board.

You see after my post about Canford Cliffs you couldn't let go of the anger and how much I got under your skin so you had to try and post something to get at me.  You've taken several schoolyard whoopings for me and just come back for more, I don't mind it.

The last three years Goldikova's dominance is unprecedented as she has been and still is one of the all time greats in the sport.  I was wondering whether or not Canford Cliffs has moved past her as king of that division.  Put those two with Frankel and we may have the makings of one of the greatest BC races run in the last 10 years if all three make it there healthy.
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 10:40:30 AM »

You've taken several schoolyard whoopings for me

And i was glad to take them for you, too, as tight as we've been through the years. What's a whooping between friends? Unless its whooping cough.
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 10:50:20 AM »

And i was glad to take them for you, too, as tight as we've been through the years. What's a whooping between friends? Unless its whooping cough.

I publicly call for a truce, I'm sure the rest of the forum does not want to read this stuff.  I respect the fact that you have not one single user on ignore as I feel it's foolish to not listen to all opinions as we may learn something.

We do seem to enjoy the sport and my offer of a lemonade is legit and will be happy to buy one for you when you come to NYRA or Monmouth.
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 11:02:06 AM »

I respect the fact that you have not one single user on ignore as I feel it's foolish to not listen to all opinions as we may learn something.

Gosh, yesterday I was the person who couldn't stand to hear ideas different than his own. Today I'm Mr. Rogers.

Yes, my initial reply to your statement about Americans having trouble hitting the board in this year's BC Mile was ill considered. You were right - obviously, if more than one decent Euro comes, the third-raters we send out here will have trouble filling out the placings.

On that note, I am filing an Ascot recap with bullet news item on Canford Cliffs now strongly considered for BC Mile. See you all in L'ville for the showdown.
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »

Gosh, yesterday I was the person who couldn't stand to hear ideas different than his own. Today I'm Mr. Rogers.

Yes, my initial reply to your statement about Americans having trouble hitting the board in this year's BC Mile was ill considered. You were right - obviously, if more than one decent Euro comes, the third-raters we send out here will have trouble filling out the placings.

On that note, I am filing an Ascot recap with bullet news item on Canford Cliffs now strongly considered for BC Mile. See you all in L'ville for the showdown.

I don't know you at all so it's tough for me to say anything regarding Mr. Rogers or anyone else.  I just think it's best to talk horses and respect each others opinions since I have yet to read anything outlandish regarding racing from you.  Others on here whom I respect have no issue with you so neither should I.

Will a lemonade suffice to seal the truce?  I don't really drink but the lemonade at Saratoga is second to none.

Here's hoping all three Euro horses stay healthy and we see them at CD for the BC.
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »

I don't really drink but the lemonade at Saratoga is second to none.

Hoping to get to Saratoga for a week of "work."

I will attempt to be more respectful, as well.
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 12:30:34 PM »

Hoping to get to Saratoga for a week of "work."

I will attempt to be more respectful, as well.

Here's hoping you get there.  It's never "work" at Saratoga.  Send a PM if you make it.
Alpha Mare
Global Moderator

OYE VEY!!!!

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 11:24:35 AM »

Wow.....I have been gone from here awhile.....nice to see its just like coming home..... maroon

Absolutely amazing.......s.m.h.....
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 05:52:21 PM »

Wow.....I have been gone from here awhile.....nice to see its just like coming home..... maroon
                                                              horse
  Good to see you AM......Long time no see! Smiley
CLOCKERbiggestal

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2011, 05:26:03 AM »

They slugged it out. I wonder what their Timeforms will be.

RPR's are 130 Canford Cliffs, 126 Goldikova

Highest for Goldi in quite a while.

clocker biggestal

Kickers beat one-pacers almost every time.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: