Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 23, 2014, 10:28:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please contact IL Gov.Quinn  (Read 20241 times)
Old and Slow

Ignore
« on: June 05, 2011, 10:00:57 AM »

Please contact the Governor and ask him to support SB744 in it's entirety. Any amendatory veto will kill the bill.

Residents of other states are urged to call or write, too.  There are many people from out of state who race in Illinois, and many more of you would if we had better purses.  That's what Quinn needs to hear, that people from out of state would send horses here if the bill passes.

If you are an out of state gambler, make the point that you would bet the Chicago circuit if the purses were bigger because the quality of racing would be better.

I guess what I'm asking is for every member of Barn to Wire to please call or write.

Thanks.

Here's the link: http://www2.illinois.gov/gov/Pages/ContacttheGovernor.aspx
Report to moderator   Logged

I know one thing for sure.  Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Terry Hunt

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 11:18:32 AM »

Bernie, I and many of my family and friends have already written and called the Governor.  Hopefully everyone involved in harness racing will take a little bit of time to do the same.  Governor Quinn has indicated that he wants to hear from the people, so we should let him hear our opinions.
This is really our last chance in Illinois.

Along those lines a number of Illinois media outlets are conducting polls and surveys.  They are usually simple enough to encourage participation, but not sufficiently detailed to truly address the situation.  As a result, the potential answers can often be misleading.  Sometimes the question and the available responses are created in such a way that ensures the result desired by the pollster.

One such example is running on Facebook now.

Romeoville Patch asked Is more legalized gambling good or bad for Illinois?

Bad it will cause more problems than it will solve.

Good the state needs money.

No opinion.

I would pose the question this way. "Illinois already permits legalized gambling in a highly controlled and regulated fashion. Is an expansion of gambling an acceptable alternative to the current situation - including a multi-billion dollar deficit, double digit unemployment, reduced funding for schools, the elimination of social services, a decaying infrastructure, and a massive "temporary" income tax increase in our state?"

I think the poll results would be considerably different although both questions address the same issue.  My point, my point is that we need to rally not only the horsemen.  This bill will have a direct, or indirect, effect on virtually everyone in Illinois - from teachers and health care providers to the kids in 4H, construction workers, etc - not just horsemen.

I believe that the impact of SB 744 will be a positive one on virtually every Illinois citizen, except (perhaps) the owners of the existing riverboats...and oh yeah, I guess I forgot the existing riverboats aren't really owned by Illinois citizens anyway.

Terry Hunt
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 11:36:09 AM »

Link for Romeoville Patch survey:
http://www.facebook.com/RomeovillePatch

It's toward the bottom, scroll down.
burton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 04:05:26 PM »

BUMP

Please send an email to the governor of Illinois.
burton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »

BUMP

Please send an email to the governor of Illinois.
Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »

Terry,

Great analysis! So many times how a question is posed can pre-determine the answer.

As Sen Link said in December "this state has big problems and it needs a big solution" .

There are so many good things for Illinois in this bill. 

Let's all work to get it done!

Uncle Merf

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 09:16:37 AM »

I wrote him and asked for his support.  I pointed out how many other industries not related to gambling will benefit.  Take me for example.  My business washes horse blankets.  More horses equals more blankets to wash equals more revenue eventually to the state.  Now, the only thing is you all have to get your blankets washed now!  beer
burton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:56:29 AM »

Please contact the Governor and ask him to support SB744 in it's entirety. Any amendatory veto will kill the bill.

Residents of other states are urged to call or write, too.  There are many people from out of state who race in Illinois, and many more of you would if we had better purses.  That's what Quinn needs to hear, that people from out of state would send horses here if the bill passes.

If you are an out of state gambler, make the point that you would bet the Chicago circuit if the purses were bigger because the quality of racing would be better.

I guess what I'm asking is for every member of Barn to Wire to please call or write.

Thanks.

Here's the link: http://www2.illinois.gov/gov/Pages/ContacttheGovernor.aspx
Keep it going people.
FILLYNATION

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:44:12 AM »

thumbs up
Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 05:43:21 PM »

Snail mail letters are best.
The Honorable Pat Quinn
Governor
State of Illinois
Office of Constituent Affairs
401 S. Spring St.
Springfield, Illinois 62706

Let's flood the Post Office!!!!!

dingo

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 10:47:58 PM »

I have written him and sent him about 10 big copies of harness racing from photos I took at the fair tracks and Chicago. I also mailed him a copy of my children's book about a harness horse. My thinking was if he actually had something in his hand to look at and identify with our sport, it may stick with him. My friends and family have also flooded his office with phone calls and emails and we all live in the Peoria area - which has a riverboat and made sure we told him that but needed the bill signed as it stands. The people taking the calls at both offices have been great. I would agree-I think the snail mail letters would have a good impact as well.
pacingguy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 10:08:15 AM »

Can someone tell me why an amendatory veto will kill the bill?  Isn't that a coditional veto?  For example, he can decide expanding slots at the two airports and Springfield may be too much and want to veto that; it still doesn't stop it from the existing tracks. 

My understanding is the legislature would have the option to override his conditional veto, but I assumed if they didn't the bill would go into effect.  Am I wrong?
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 11:21:27 AM »

If Quinn uses the amendatory veto, the bill needs to be voted on again or it dies.  Depending on what he vetos will cost the bill the support of those legislators who only voted for it based on those additions.  A bill needs 30 votes to pass and that is exactly what we got, so losing any vote kills the bill.

It also extends the time until the bill takes effect, because another vote probably will not happen until the fall session.  And, apparently the legislative PTB do not like the amendatory veto, and do not re-call bills on which it has been used.
Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 06:04:26 PM »

If Quinn uses the amendatory veto, the bill needs to be voted on again or it dies.  Depending on what he vetos will cost the bill the support of those legislators who only voted for it based on those additions.  A bill needs 30 votes to pass and that is exactly what we got, so losing any vote kills the bill.

It also extends the time until the bill takes effect, because another vote probably will not happen until the fall session.  And, apparently the legislative PTB do not like the amendatory veto, and do not re-call bills on which it has been used.

Right, Janine.

pork

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »

Have called and e-mailed the gov letting him know that my money from out of state-~200K over the past seven years will go elsewhere if the bill is not signed.   My opinion-he will sign it as is because the mayor wants it. If he lines it out, he will not get the downstate votes to pass it this fall. Hope my reasoning is valid.  Pork, Joplin MO.
FILLYNATION

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 08:40:08 AM »

Have written several letters and friends have also . Shouldn't someone get people from the racetracks and off track facilities to sign a petition .
Mari
Dleestable

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »

Three hundred letters mailed tonight from the meeting.  If we had a bigger turnout we could have made the 500 letter mark.  If you couldn't come to meeting there will be a form letter soon available at the IHHA website for download for your use. Please use it and mail to Governor Quinn.  All info available at website.
burton

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 06:12:18 AM »

Three hundred letters mailed tonight from the meeting.  If we had a bigger turnout we could have made the 500 letter mark.  If you couldn't come to meeting there will be a form letter soon available at the IHHA website for download for your use. Please use it and mail to Governor Quinn.  All info available at website.
Thanks Donna.
Someone should pass this letter out to the fans at Maywood/Balmoral and OTB's.
FILLYNATION

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 11:23:43 AM »

I was a bit disappointed with the turn out at the meeting last evening . Anyways i did find the meeting very informative and the board members very amusing .
Dleestable

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 02:28:26 PM »

Burton,

That is a great idea!!  You would think the tracks would be offering this to fans as they come in. 
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 03:04:07 PM »

Burton,

That is a great idea!!  You would think the tracks would be offering this to fans as they come in. 

Arlington is.
GRANDPA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 04:39:38 PM »

keep calling. don't get lazy. the boats have their people calling daily and the governor wants to hear from the people.everyone has the #s to call. lets finish this thing off. too close to get lazy now.
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 07:19:17 PM »

From ILHBPA:

Just found a way to get our message to the Governor. He has opened a Twitter account. If you have an account, lets overload the circuits. Tweet to @GovernorQuinn   " Please sign the gaming bill as soon as possible"
FILLYNATION

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 02:20:29 PM »

Just did it
LARRY TROTTER

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 08:03:56 AM »

Hope this post helps
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print