Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 23, 2014, 06:30:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HB 1918 Extention to April 30, 2006  (Read 1205 times)
emp

« on: April 18, 2006, 04:24:21 AM »

HB 1918 will be brought back on the floor of the House today at 1:00 PM.

Check Page 2 (April 18, 2006)
http://www.ilga.gov/house/schedules/Calendars/calendarproof_H094000121.pdf

Bill Status:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus_pf.asp?DocNum=1918&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=16735&GAID=8&SessionID=50&GA=94

Full Text:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=09400HB1918lv&SessionID=50&GA=94&DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=1918&print=true

Amendment 1:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=09400HB1918ham001&SessionID=50&GA=94&DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=1918&print=true

Highlights of new amendment:
[/b]

(230 ILCS 5/54)
Sec. 54. Horse Racing Equity Trust Fund.

(a) There is created in the State Treasury a Fund to be known as the Horse Racing Equity Trust Fund, which is a non-appropriated trust fund held separate and apart from State moneys. The Fund shall consist of moneys paid into it by owners licensees under pursuant to subsection (c-5) ofSection 13 of the Riverboat Gambling Act for the purposes described in this Section. The Fund shall be administered by the Board. Moneys in the Fund shall be distributed as directed and certified by the Board in accordance with the provisions of subsection binoculars the Racing Board.
binoculars The moneys deposited into the Fund, plus any accrued interest on those moneys, shall be distributed by the State Treasurer within 10 days after those moneys are deposited into the Fund as follows:

(1) Sixty percent Fifty percent of all moneys distributed under this subsection shall be distributed to organization licensees to be distributed at their race meetings as purses. Fifty-seven percent of the amount distributed under this paragraph (1) shall be distributed for thoroughbred race meetings and 43% shall be distributed for standardbred race meetings. Within each breed, moneys shall be allocated to each organization licensee's purse fund in accordance with the ratio between the purses generated for that breed by that licensee during the prior calendar year and the total purses generated throughout the State for that breed during the prior calendar year by licensees in the current calendar year.

(2) The remaining 40% 50% of the moneys distributed under this subsection binoculars shall be distributed as follows:

(A) 11% shall be distributed to any person (or its successors or assigns) who had operating control of a racetrack that conducted live racing in 2002 at a racetrack in a county with at least 230,000 inhabitants that borders the Mississippi River and is a licensee in the current year; and

(B) the remaining 89% shall be distributed pro rata according to the aggregate proportion of total state-wide handle from wagering on live races conducted in Illinois (irrespective of where the wagers are placed) for calendar years 2004 and 2005 at the racetrack, inter-track, and inter-track wagering locations that derive their licenses from a racetrack identified in this paragraph (2) for calendar years 1994, 1996, and 1997 to (i) any person (or its successors or assigns) who (i) had majority operating control of a racing facility at which live racing was conducted in calendar year 2002, (ii) 1997 and who has operating control of an organization licensee that conducted racing in calendar year 1997 and is a licensee in the current year, and (iii) is not eligible to receive moneys under subparagraph (A) of this paragraph (2).

The moneys received by an organization licensee under this paragraph (2) shall be used by each organization licensee to improve, maintain, market, and otherwise operate its racing facilities to conduct live racing, which shall include backstretch services and capital improvements related to live racing and the backstretch. Any organization licensees sharing common ownership may pool the moneys received and spent at all racing facilities commonly owned in order to meet these requirements. , or (ii) any person (or its successors or assigns) who has operating control of a racing facility located in a county that is bounded by the Mississippi River that has a population of less than 150,000 according to the 1990 decennial census and conducted an average of 60 days of racing per year between 1985 and 1993 and has been awarded an inter-track wagering license in the current year.

If any person identified in this paragraph (2) becomes ineligible to receive moneys from the Fund, such amount shall be redistributed among the remaining persons in proportion to their percentages otherwise calculated.(c) The Board shall monitor organization licensees to ensure that moneys paid to organization licensees under this Section are distributed by the organization licensees as
provided in subsection binoculars.

(Source: P.A. 91-40, eff. 6-25-99.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 06:04:11 AM by emp » Report to moderator   Logged
emp

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 02:59:12 PM »

Update from Springfield....

One of the major "sponsors" supposedly had a physical ailment and was unable to attend so the bill was never put in. Several representatives were on vacation and most house reps weren't there....

The date of April 25, 2006, has now come to the table, which was brought up at the April 13, 2006, IRB meeting by John Johnston. It seems they are trying to bypass the rules committee as HB 1917 has been discussed and will try to get a vote from the Senate on HB 1918 on April 25, 2006.

There was also some maintenance work done at the State Capital Building which explains why there was no audio/video feed available to people at the House today.

More updates as they come in.....
Report to moderator   Logged
Ironworks

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 04:30:20 PM »

All of  your updates are very much appreciated.  Thanks.
Honest1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 10:05:01 PM »

Well well, as stated before as of this date we still do not have a signed contract with the track operators. By the way the IHHA has said we did! So HOW CAN WE TRUST THEM WITH THE RECAPTURE AGREEMENT. Recapture HAS to be addressed FIRST! We cant support any thing with the history of the IHHA and track owners.   
emp

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 06:24:32 AM »

All of  your updates are very much appreciated.  Thanks.

Again keep in mind most reps are on vacation.... April 25 IS THE DATE.
http://www.ilga.gov/house/schedules/Calendars/calendarproof_H094000122.pdf

PAGE 2, 4th Item Down
Called for 12:00 Noon Today
[/b]
tonymfan

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 09:59:37 AM »

Well well, as stated before as of this date we still do not have a signed contract with the track operators. By the way the IHHA has said we did! So HOW CAN WE TRUST THEM WITH THE RECAPTURE AGREEMENT. Recapture HAS to be addressed FIRST! We cant support any thing with the history of the IHHA and track owners. 

Excuse me for saying it so bluntly honest1 but your posts remind me of a demagogue seeking public office. You have one emotional card of recapture in your deck and you constantly exhort horsemen to trust and follow no one. Not even their own elected IHHA leaders. You go out of your way to undermine the official IHHA position on legislation. You advocate doing nothing rather than accept anything that does not eliminate recapture. Who is it the horsemen are supposed to follow? Could it be the future you?

Here's two past posts by Terry Hunt about recapture. Good reading to remind people of the true scope of the recapture issue.

"Recapture is perhaps one of the most hated and misunderstood buzzwords out there today.  If we could wave a magic wand and do away with recapture harness purses over the course of the year would improve by $4-5M.  Depending upon how you spin the numbers that could be demonstrated to be a 17% increase over our current annual purses paid of about $28M.  The problem is that the vast majority of recapture - approximately 70% of it has been deferred or waived, so the only difference we would see in added purses distributed on a daily basis would be closer to $1M per year, or only about 5% over what we are racing for now."

"I wholeheartedly agree that recapture is patently wrong, that it is unfair, that we need to work very hard to have it eliminated.  That being said, there are three unfortunate realities in play.  First, recapture is part of the legislation and to truly address its elimination we need to do so in Springfield.  Second, since it is part of the law the tracks are understandably reluctant to waive or defer any portion of what they consider their money.  Third, and possibly most importantly is the fact that the effect of recapture is grossly overestimated by many horsemen.  It is a buzzword that generates an immediate knee jerk response, and as I said before it needs to be eliminated, but the simple fact is that the tracks are currently deferring 70% of the available recapture.  Annual recapture is approximately $4,200,000 per year on the harness side.  Until 2003 the state had reimbursed the tracks for recapture, but from 2003 and forward the state has failed to live up to that obligation.  Faced with the prospect of the tracks being able to take over $4M per year from the purses, and the questionable prospects of getting reimbursed by the state, the IHHA had to deal with the effect of recapture contractually.  With relatively minor differences the 2003, 2004 and 2005 contracts all dealt with recapture in a similar manner.  Balmoral and Maywood have waived (permanently given up rights to) 10% of that, so +/-$420,000 per year has stayed in the purse account.  They have deferred 70%, so approximately +/-$2,940,000 per year has not been taken by the tracks.  That 70% was put on hold for a period of time, to be collected by the tracks only if one of three events transpired - either the state made a reimbursement, monies from the tenth riverboat license came in, or the tracks got slots and new purse monies were generated in that manner.  The expiration dates and future collectability of these deferred monies is a HUGE item and will be discussed at the meeting tomorrow.

The tracks have taken out of purses 20% on an annual basis, or about +/-$840,000.  Now to be sure, that is a lot of money and I would much rather see it in the purse account.  However, if we look at the current racing schedule - say 360 days racing times an average of 12 races per night comes to 4,320 races per year.  If the tracks had taken zero recapture that would have added about $195 to each race.  Nice to have...but not enough money to dramatically improve the situation."
Honest1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 03:36:02 PM »

Where do you think the defered part goes? It does not magically go away! The purse acount is 16 million in the hole to recapture, that is alot more than 195$ per race. We have been lied to for as long as I can remember, How do you think the state of racing has reached these new lows? I have been around this sport for my whole life 45 years and I have never seen the horseman get a good deal on any issue!  You and Dan *** dont get along but let me tell you a fact. Back when he was training and purses were good, I respected him and his brother as trainers, I hated to see my cheap stock get in the same race with them becaus they were good trainers they have seen what has happened to the sport, trust me they don't like it any more than we do. Thats because they love it as much as anyone! This is caused by frustration and I dont blame them. My favorite *** steed Pirate Laura!   
emp

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 06:43:06 AM »

House is in session TODAY at 1:00 PM.

Page 2, 4th item down
http://www.ilga.gov/house/schedules/Calendars/calendarproof_H094000123.pdf
emp

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 03:10:54 PM »

HB 1918 Amendment 1 passed in the house today with a vote of 70 Yeas, 30 Nays and 3 Present.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/votehistory/94/house/09400HB1918_04262006_007000A.pdf

HB 1918 after it's 3rd reading passed in the house today with a vote of 70 Yeas, 32 Nays and 2 Present.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/votehistory/94/house/09400HB1918_04262006_008000T.pdf

ON TO THE SENATE!!!!

Bill Status....
]=http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/votehistory.asp?GA=94&DocNum=1918&DocTypeID=HB&GAId=8&LegID=16735&SessionID=50]
Vote history.....
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/votehistory.asp?GA=94&DocNum=1918&DocTypeID=HB&GAId=8&LegID=16735&SessionID=50

Full text:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?GAID=8&SessionID=50&GA=94&DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=1918&LegID=16735&SpecSess=&Session=
House Amendment 1:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=09400HB1918ham001&GA=94&SessionId=50&DocTypeId=HB&LegID=16735&DocNum=1918&GAID=8&Session=
Tannor

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 03:49:09 PM »

EMP,

With these bills i get bored and decide not to read on so how does this help the industry?

Tannor

They're at the gate!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: