DUBRICK, KAUFMAN AND TURNER ADVANCE TO THE DAILY RACING FORM/NTRA NATIONAL HANDICAPPING CHAMPIONSHIP IN JULY 23 “NHC ONLINE CHALLENGE”
Three horseplayers added their names to the list of those who will compete in the $2 million (estimated) Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship (NHC) in January 2012 at Treasure Island Las Vegas by finishing atop the leaderboard in the “NHC Online Challenge”—a free, online handicapping tournament held at NTRA.com on July 23. Restricted to Daily Racing Form NHC Tour members, the competition attracted a field of 1,386 contestants.
Topping the standings was Tom Dubrick of Oak Lawn, Ill.
, who amassed a total of $119.50 from mythical $2.00 win-and-place wagers on 10 mandatory races run at Woodbine, Saratoga, Monmouth Park and Del Mar. Finishing second with $116.40 was Cheryl Kaufman of Hacienda Heights, Calif. Checking in third with $111.20 was Daven Turner of Galloway, Ohio. All three qualifiers will also receive roundtrip air travel and hotel accommodations for their trip to the 2012 NHC.
The year’s final free, online qualifying tournament, restricted to NHC Tour members, is tentatively scheduled for December 11. That contest will also offer three berths to the January 2012 NHC Finals.
To sign up for the 2011 Daily Racing Form NHC Tour, visit www.ntra.com/nhctour
. The Daily Racing Form NHC Tour is a yearlong bonus series offering an additional $125,000 in prize money—including $75,000 to the overall points leader at year’s end—plus qualifying berths to the DRF/NTRA National Handicapping Championship to be held in January 2012 in Las Vegas. Membership in the 2011 Daily Racing Form NHC Tour is open to adults 21 years of age or older and requires a one-time membership fee of $45. Membership in the 2011 Daily Racing Form NHC Tour is mandatory in order for top finishers of sanctioned NHC qualifying events to be eligible to compete in the January 2012 NHC Finals in Las Vegas. The NHC Tour membership must be in place prior to the start of any given qualifying tournament in order for one to qualify for the NHC Finals at that qualifying tournament.
In addition to the free, online qualifying tournaments, other benefits of 2011 Daily Racing Form NHC Tour membership include:
· Tour Membership Card containing NHC Tour account information;
· Eligibility to compete for a seat at the January 2012 NHC in Las Vegas;
· $125,000 in prize money to top five Tour points leaders;
· Twice monthly e-newsletter featuring photos and recaps of previously held tourneys, schedules and links to upcoming tournaments, tourney tips from previous NHC Champions and qualifiers, etc.;
· Special offers from Daily Racing Form, including the following:
o 10% discount on the purchase of any DRF.com past performances plan—good for new and existing DRF.com members (one time only; offer not valid on promotional plans)
o 20% discount on a single DRF Press order at check-out
· Season-ending, online tourney for top 100 Tour points leaders, offering 15 seats to the 2012 or 2013 NHC;
· Mentoring program, whereby veteran NHC Tour players and past Champions will provide tips and insights on tournament play to other Tour members;
· Eligibility to receive benefits and discounts from NTRA Advantage partners;
· Membership in the NTRA Horseplayers’ Coalition, addressing player-centric issues in Washington, D.C.;
· Exclusive offers and discounts on Thoroughbred racing memorabilia and collectibles; and
· Exclusive offers, including access to tickets to key events, at NTRA member facilities.
The January 2012 Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship (NHC) in Las Vegas will have an expected 500 contestants, led by defending champion John Doyle of Scottsdale, Ariz. Thus far, 150 others have also qualified for next January’s NHC, including previous NTRA Online Challenge winners Denise Hauffe and Henry Snyder. For more information about the NHC, visit www.ntra.com
. For questions about the NHC or the NHC Tour, contact Michele Ravencraft at (859) 422-2657.
In just its 13th year, the Daily Racing Form/NTRA National Handicapping Championship is the most important tournament of the year for horseplayers and is the culmination of a year-long series of NTRA-sanctioned local tournaments conducted by racetracks, casino race books, off-track betting facilities and horse racing and handicapping Web sites, each of which sends its top qualifiers to the national finals. Each year, the NHC winner joins other human and equine champions as an honoree at the Eclipse Awards. In addition to the founding title sponsor, the NHC is presented by Treasure Island Las Vegas and Sovereign Stable.
The NTRA is a broad-based coalition of horse racing interests consisting of leading Thoroughbred racetracks, owners, breeders, trainers, horseplayers and affiliated horse racing associations, charged with increasing the popularity of horse racing and improving economic conditions for industry participants. The NTRA has offices in Lexington, Ky., and New York City. NTRA press releases appear on the NTRA Web site, NTRA.com