Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 08:22:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mare "washed herself out" before race  (Read 4174 times)
isles1

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:11:38 AM »

completely done in a few minutes, after walking into the Tioga paddock. Saw all the horses, started kicking and screaming, sweating, and completely spent by the time the race went off. cost her in the last 1/16 of the mile. what can be done to prevent this from happening?
thanks...
Report to moderator   Logged
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 06:49:58 PM »

Is she any stock?  For sale?

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
dempster

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:00:01 PM »

Try putting her on omeprazole. I had one(a mare) wash out in the paddock and omeprazole completely turned her around.
BabyFireFly

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:09:52 AM »

The paddock at Tioga is so loud and the whole environment is so frantic that it usually gives me anxiety as well....I know the horses are alot more sensitive to this, so I can only imagine how they feel. We've started getting them ready out in the tent where it is more peaceful, something you may want to try. Maybe try a set of earplugs for her since the noise in the paddock is so booming. That's a quick fix though. I'm very into "calming herbs" for high strung animals and mares effected by their environment...half my barn is filled with them in fact.....but no one wants to take the time to research that sort of thing or work with these animals on the ground so...ehh. I will say this, take extra time with her and develop a trust bond between the pair of you, in times of stress, she should be able to take comfort in knowing that you are around....make yourself her rock.
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:02:02 AM »

Sure she is not horsing?

If not,
i had one that not only washed out but would try and kill everyone and everything no matter where the location or surroundings.

I put a blind bridle on her and no matter where she went or what she was doing had it on her.

No more washing out and a Lil kid could handle her.

Her problem was solved. Cant speak of whether it will help yours, but it sure helped her. she went on to make a few hundred thousand.

best of luck.
CentralAve

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 06:03:38 AM »

There is a homeopathic remedy called "gelsemium" which is used extensively to calm thoroughbreds in England and Ireland.  The recommended strength is "30C", and it is given orally 3 times per day for 2 days preceding race day. 

It is a liquid (called a "dilution") for oral administration and usually comes in 1 or 2 ounce bottles with an eye dropper cap, and one oz (30ml) is enough for about 6 weeks.  Also available as quick dissolving tablets. Cost is under $15, Google it!

As an aside, a few years ago a well known US trainer raced a trotter in Sweden, and personally told me that the gelsemium was "like a miracle" when it came to calming the horse.  Also, a vet friend who had the balls to inject a small quantity proclaimed "it damn near put the horse to sleep".  Injecting, of course, is dangerous and NOT recommended.
northgate55

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »

Any idea on the dosage of gelsemium? I have a gelding who we have tried everything to keep him calm but to no avail. Would be prepared to give it a go as a last resort
Maxim

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 06:20:07 PM »

A few more ideas in addition to what BabyFireFly posted long ago (sorry, I’ve been MIA).  The horse’s confidence comes from their own pathology, their life experience AND whomever they are currently dependent on AND their TRUST with that current caretaker(s).  The last component is the “rock” element that BabyFireFly mentioned.

I have never raced at Tioga but I can only imagine it is chaotic.  All race paddocks are crazy.  Some really simple things to prepare a horse that is:  inexperienced, disconfident, distrusting, shy/spooky, etc. is to GRADUALLY expose them to anything new – most importantly the race environment and routine. 

-  Qualify them multiply times (if necessary) just to expose them to the grounds and paddock environment and routine.
-  Do things in the paddock you do in the barn (whatever it is to an appropriate degree) just to establish familiarity that “racing” ain’t that different from “training”.  This includes talking, the order in which you gear up, sponge, blanket, etc.
-  Don’t leave them alone in the paddock (initially), your confidence and presence is more reassuring than you realize (being the rock as BBF stated).  Gradually, change this up too by leaving for several moments with someone else nearby (a trusted groom, preferably).
-  Eventually, after repeating the above tirelessly, racing will be the same as jogging and training.  The horse will get acclimated with trust and confidence to all the hoopla if they can count on certain “knowns”

Note:  "Knowns" are you … the groom …. a consistent care/routine …. or the horse's love and thrill of competing (in-bred or learned).

Good luck!   
BabyFireFly

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »

Any idea on the dosage of gelsemium? I have a gelding who we have tried everything to keep him calm but to no avail. Would be prepared to give it a go as a last resort

Northgate - Sorry I didn't notice this.

In general the homeopathic dosage for horses is going to mirror that of those prescribed for humans - the basis of homeopathy (like cures like) deals with the energy of the substance rather than the raw material itself (as in herbal remedies).

There are so many things to consider when working with homeopathic remedies because it is truely a holistic approach to care - something that works for one, may not work for another. I would suggest the 30c form of Gelsemium - give 2-4 tablets and then wait 30 minutes. Repeat the same dose if the proper effect is not achieved - you could even try it ever 15 minutes for up to 10 doses, but if nothing changes, I would look into another remedy - maybe Aconite. Aconite works well with horses that are the type to get real wide eyed, put there heads up as far as they can and tremble when they are afraid. They are also the type who cannot get over spooky things or who will "jig" and fuss for a long time even after the "scary stuff" has gone.

If you are not familiar with homeopathy, I would suggest you seek out an equine homeopath since it really is an intricate process when it comes to selecting remedies....or at least look into buying some reading material - there are a ton of good books out there (granted some of the best are from the 1800s) that can be found online.

Addition:

Just wanted to add this: Make sure you are handling homeopathic remedies correctly - they are not something that you can store in a hot horse trailer or on the dashboard of your truck in the direct sun. They have to be stored in a cool, dry place - away from any electromagnetic fields. Also, you have to handle them as little as possible while at the same time getting them into direct contact with a mucous membrane. I take a clean straw, pour the tablets into the cap of the bottle and then “scoop” them into the end of the straw and then push the straw into the corner of the horse’s mouth - depositing them under the tongue if at all possible. If you have one that protests and you can get close enough, you can even blow into the straw “spit ball style” so they end up at the back of the tongue. Last resort, you can hollow out a piece of carrot or apple and shake the tabs from the bottle into the hole and then feed them as a treat.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:12:53 AM by BabyFireFly » Report to moderator   Logged
Cablacinasian

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 09:04:08 PM »

sweating, and completely spent by the time the race went off.
thanks...

Deodorant WITH anti-perpsrirant.

You're welcome...
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 11:50:11 AM »

We had a filly that washed out every race for two years.  Tried every suggestion we received and they either did not work at all OR turned her into a slug.  Best of luck with her.
danny patch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »

20 cc of B-1 4 hrs out ......if you use it during the week it doesn't have the same effect.
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »

20 cc of B-1 4 hrs out ......if you use it during the week it doesn't have the same effect.

Tried it on my mare several times and she was still soaking wet and lathered by post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: