Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 20, 2014, 01:04:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: horse that pulls  (Read 3993 times)
foxtrot

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »

was wondering what to do with a horse that pulls very hard in the race  and wont sit in a hole  what to put on him  I had his teeth done  just posting for a friend
Report to moderator   Logged
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:18:12 PM »

Is he wearing ear plugs?

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
foxtrot

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:44:37 PM »

Yes
dennycrane

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 04:29:37 PM »

put him in a class where the hole goes fast enough that he has to work to keep up.... wont pull then
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »

what bit do you have in his mouth, what bridle is he wearing? Lip cord or dog chain?

Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 06:44:51 PM »

only pulls in the race? very rare...

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 12:46:04 PM »

Sometimes starting a horse like this with his nose on the gate and then taking him off as the gate leaves will teach him what is expected of him. 

foxtrot

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 06:56:25 AM »

was wondering anything I could feed him to calm him down
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 06:41:25 PM »

ok, I just can't help myself.  This is one of the things I did with Cannae Barron who was such a lunatic they had to TQ him just to jog.  Ear plugs, fly screens, dog chains, you name it... he had it on, and nothing worked.
  I spent some time during the winter when he was on rehab at a riding stable with an indoor arena.  Line drove in the arena walking along the wall.  Pulled back on bit, said "whoa", then turned him into the wall.  Didn't take long he started responding to the pull/whoa without me needing to use the wall.  Little by little I weaned away from the wall. Then I got the girls warming up their jumpers to help me out.  I'ld have them ride up behind me, straight at me, gallop all around me in circles. By the time we were done, I could have him standing right next to the jump while they galloped over from both directions....behind and heading at him.  One of the last days there were 7 other horses in there galloping and jumping all around him.  He was calm and relaxed.
   It's been 2 years now and while he can be a handful at times, he still listens to my voice commands and I'm able to jog and train him myself in an open bridle with just a  snaffle. 
   If all that is too much work for ya, try some walk/jog transitions using voice commands.  Teach him what "whoa" means.  Bring him down to a walk, and make him walk until he relaxes, then go back to the jog.  Get him walking around the barn area before you attempt on the track. Still takes time, but at least you're sitting in the jog cart.  I still do that with Barron when he starts getting ramped up.

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
tankin

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 05:19:38 PM »

cool.good advice.and i see hes racing great for you.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 04:43:22 PM »

Back with me again... first start after 3 month layoff, earned his first  dollar for the year.  

If you're trying to be sarcastic, check Pathway stats.  That previous 6-0-0-0 $0 was not with me.  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:46:38 PM by OldGreyMare » Report to moderator   Logged

HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 10:03:13 AM »

Sometimes starting a horse like this with his nose on the gate and then taking him off as the gate leaves will teach him what is expected of him. 

I will say that is very good advice (but maybe not this horses issue).....Many people keep a puller off the gate when if fact in a lot of cases what you say is the right way to do it.....Put them right on the gate let them follow the gate out for a couple strides and then take them back......Once they are on the gate they arent in a frenzy to get on it.....But if you leave them a length off they are always tugging trying to get on it.......Of course every horse is different but putting this horses nose on the gate as soon as they turned for the start took a lot of the raminess out of him and cut way down on the number of breaks he made for me

SHOWTIME!!!
tankin

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 06:14:33 PM »

Back with me again... first start after 3 month layoff, earned his first  dollar for the year.  

If you're trying to be sarcastic, check Pathway stats.  That previous 6-0-0-0 $0 was not with me.  
me being a smartass?whatever are you talking about?just stating with your self promoted brilliant horsemanship,hes racing real good.
Sundance

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 09:49:17 PM »

I get a kick out of just how much it bugs you.... lol 
MercedesMan

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 10:00:06 PM »

For get every thing you read here and go get a pulling strap it goes to the over check thro the bit and to the harness not only can the horse not pull he will not want to, Lip cords, snake bits all make a horses mouth sore this will not

But first find out if the horse is sore or not some where if he is that will be the reason why he pulls
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:01:39 PM by The Jackal » Report to moderator   Logged
foxtrot

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 06:46:15 AM »

could you post a picture thanks of how it goes on
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »

Just picture an extra long driving line.
Instead of it buckling in the driving bit it goes through the driving bit and then goes back to the water hook and buckles on the water hook.
Just allows the bit to act as a pulley and give more leverage.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 10:22:31 PM »

cool.good advice.and i see hes racing great for you.

thumbs up trophy

drawbar

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »

[still confused as to how its rigged?
MercedesMan

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 05:39:03 PM »

Foxtrot i am happy the strap is working i see post he is racing well for you, I am happy i could help in some way horsemen helping horsemen or horsewomen is what it is all about good luck e-mail me again with who it is please..

The Jackal
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: