Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 23, 2014, 06:26:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocono 8 accident  (Read 4371 times)
JuiceJunkies

« on: April 26, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »

Looking up horses and drver now
Report to moderator   Logged
JuiceJunkies

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »

Mike Simons and John Campbell, horses Lucky Lucky Leo and Total Shark respectively.
Total Truth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:40:01 PM »

any word on their conditions?
Homestretch

Harness Racing is "King" Of All Sports

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 08:49:42 PM »

Mike was hurt pretty bad, falling, and hitting his head !
Don't know anything about John yet.
Homestretch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »

Update !!
John and Mike seem to be OK.
Both came back to the paddock.
I hate when this happens !
JuiceJunkies

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »

Update !!
John and Mike seem to be OK.
Both came back to the paddock.
I hate when this happens !

Thanks 1492.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »

John came right back to the paddock.  Mike was taken to hospital for observation.  Was announced later that he was ok.  Very scary accident.

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
Homestretch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:16:48 PM »

The outrider never moved till at least 5 minutes after the accident.
Ken Kolanich, the paddock judge got out of the starting can, and drove the horse back to the paddock.
This outrider must go !!!!
JuiceJunkies

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 10:22:35 PM »

The outrider never moved till at least 5 minutes after the accident.
Ken Kolanich, the paddock judge got out of the starting can, and drove the horse back to the paddock.
This outrider must go !!!!

Just read your post elsewhere and that is a downright joke...

You hope you never need an outrider but when you do you really do.   A loose horse can kill a person because they are scared.

This outrider is not worth a penny...Pocono must be held accountable.
BabyFireFly

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 04:53:07 AM »

I thought they had a good outrider there now, no?
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 05:13:00 AM »

I was busy, didn't see what happened but I do know Ken Kolanick, the paddock judge, does not ride in the starting car.  That would have had to have been Bob Moran. 
  Terry is a good outrider and he happened to be on one of his best horses, so I find it hard to believe he just sat there. 

Also, I was there until the last race and never saw Mike come back to the paddock.  I think John needs to be a little more accurate in his reporting.  Perhaps his vantage point from the clubhouse is a bit skewed.

BabyFireFly

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 05:30:40 AM »

Just watched the replay and you can clearly see the outrider flying through the infield way before the horses have even reached the wire....seconds after the accident happened.
Homestretch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »

I was busy, didn't see what happened but I do know Ken Kolanick, the paddock judge, does not ride in the starting car.  That would have had to have been Bob Moran. 
  Terry is a good outrider and he happened to be on one of his best horses, so I find it hard to believe he just sat there. 

Also, I was there until the last race and never saw Mike come back to the paddock.  I think John needs to be a little more accurate in his reporting.  Perhaps his vantage point from the clubhouse is a bit skewed.
Bob Moran is correct, but other then that my reporting was 100% accurate, as I was watching the outrider to see how quickly he would respond.
Terry may be a good outrider, but he does not pay close attention to the horses on the track. Watch for yourself !!!
My vantage point was perfect, as I could clearly see the outrider in his usual spot, along the rail and paying very little attention. My spot was clearly better then yours.
Homestretch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 08:21:04 AM »

Just watched the replay and you can clearly see the outrider flying through the infield way before the horses have even reached the wire....seconds after the accident happened.
He responded way after the incident happened.
This is not a personal attack on Terry, as we all like him.
But an outrider must perform his duties in a diligent manner.
BabyFireFly

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 09:17:14 AM »

He responded way after the incident happened.
This is not a personal attack on Terry, as we all like him.
But an outrider must perform his duties in a diligent manner.

How can you say this when you can see on the replay the outrider hauling ass towards the accident not a second after the announcer got the words that there had been an accident out of his mouth. Maybe I'm seeing a ghost horse?
BabyFireFly

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 09:33:13 AM »

Just went back and re-watched the race...the outrider made it from his position on the outside rail, across the track to the infield before the lead horse in the field even got to the point where the little pond (before the toteboard) is. Didn't move until "at least 5 minutes AFTER the accident?"
vaporize

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 10:04:31 AM »

Just went back and re-watched the race...the outrider made it from his position on the outside rail, across the track to the infield before the lead horse in the field even got to the point where the little pond (before the toteboard) is. Didn't move until "at least 5 minutes AFTER the accident?"
can someone post the video of this occurence so we can determine what the outrider did or didn't do or when ?
Is john1492 or bbf correct here ?
BabyFireFly

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 10:14:36 AM »

I don't know how to post the link...I went and watched it on the Twinspires replays.
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »

i watched it. accident happens at 1.54 of the video. you see the outrider at 2.03 go in front of the lead horse. a pretty bold move to get to the wreck. did anybody notice that anthony napalitono had johns horse  already under control under the wire. a pretty savvy move. remember tony morgan doing the same thing in a race. the other horse looked headed to the paddock. the ambulance was there. whats the problem. surely not the outrider.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 05:23:22 AM »

This was the information I gathered yesterday.  First of all, Terry's first job is to open the gate for the ambulance and he can't do that until the judges radio him with the all clear after the remaining horses pass the gate (which is located at head of stretch)   screwy screwy screwy  Remember this is Pocono, folks. 
   Terry did not just sit there, he went to the gate and as soon as the Judges radioed he flipped it open. By that time, Anthony Nap had collared the loose horse. So Terry took off for the accident scene.

Yes, your vantage point was better than mine, John, since I stated I was busy inside the paddock.  However when you state that KEN KOLANICH was the one who got out of the starting car, I have to question the rest of your statement.  lol  Now the name may have been a simple error, but you went on to state Kolanich, THE PADDOCK JUDGE.  Any one connected with harness racing should know the duties of a paddock judge do not include riding in the starting car.  btw  BOB MORAN, the true STARTING JUDGE, did exit the car to assist but he DID NOT drive any horse back to the paddock.  In fact, the second horse was HAND WALKED back to the paddock.

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 05:26:10 AM »

And for anyone who's interested, Mike was back at the track yesterday...   banged and bruised up, but still working.  He was going to drive last night, but after warming a horse up decided he was still too sore.

vaporize

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 05:54:17 AM »

Thank God the drivers and horses are OK.  thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
JuiceJunkies

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 07:53:20 AM »

Thank God the drivers and horses are OK.  thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

thumbs up  thumbs up  thumbs up

DO WE NEED TO TAR AND FEATHER ANYONE OR NO?
vaporize

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 08:08:40 AM »

thumbs up  thumbs up  thumbs up

DO WE NEED TO TAR AND FEATHER ANYONE OR NO?
you'd have to ask john1492, seems as if he wants to tar and feather the outrider.
Homestretch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 08:10:28 AM »

This was the information I gathered yesterday.  First of all, Terry's first job is to open the gate for the ambulance and he can't do that until the judges radio him with the all clear after the remaining horses pass the gate (which is located at head of stretch)   screwy screwy screwy  Remember this is Pocono, folks.  
   Terry did not just sit there, he went to the gate and as soon as the Judges radioed he flipped it open. By that time, Anthony Nap had collared the loose horse. So Terry took off for the accident scene.

Yes, your vantage point was better than mine, John, since I stated I was busy inside the paddock.  However when you state that KEN KOLANICH was the one who got out of the starting car, I have to question the rest of your statement.  lol  Now the name may have been a simple error, but you went on to state Kolanich, THE PADDOCK JUDGE.  Any one connected with harness racing should know the duties of a paddock judge do not include riding in the starting car.  btw  BOB MORAN, the true STARTING JUDGE, did exit the car to assist but he DID NOT drive any horse back to the paddock.  In fact, the second horse was HAND WALKED back to the paddock.

Yes Mare !!
In my haste to post this event, I incorrectly named the wrong person, and I admitted that.
The rest of the statement, however is accurate.
Bottom line is the system is bad, and if what you say is correct, you lose precious seconds in responding to the drivers, and horses needs.
Seconds could cost lives, and if Terry has to open the gate to let the ambulance into the track, seconds are lost.
There are better ways to allow the ambulance to quickly obtain access into the track. One for example is a remote controlled hand held device in the ambulance drivers possession, which works with an unlocking system installed on the gate.
Quicker and better for all concerned.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:16:17 AM by Homestretch » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: