Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 20, 2014, 05:31:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arlington Takeout  (Read 1347 times)
thearmada

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2011, 10:41:50 AM »

http://arlingtonpark.com/news/archives/pick-4-pick-5-minimum-reduced-50-cents-pick-5-and-high-5-takeout-reduced-15

Looks like it is gonna be a good year for the pick 4 and pick 5 at AP!
Report to moderator   Logged
bjchapin1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:58:06 AM »

seems odd to keep the pick six if you're offering a pick 5 and 2 pick 4s. and quinella wagering on 6 horse fields?
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 11:12:30 AM »

seems odd to keep the pick six if you're offering a pick 5 and 2 pick 4s. and quinella wagering on 6 horse fields?

Why not quinellas on six horse fields? It's another pool for bettors to consider.
DonPietro

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:40:14 AM »

I don't mind the 50c pk 4 at tracks that have full fields, but if they are not.....
DonPietro

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »

The more I think about the 50c pk 4 at AP, the more I don't like the decision. They are eliminating any possible chance of carryovers now, one of the things that most players like to go after. Especially if the fields are going to be as short as anticipated. The 50c on the pk 5 is fine, but leave the pk 4 at a buck. Don't change just for the sake of change.
farquarks

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:17:21 PM »

Long time since posting, but I want to give AP (and Petrillo) props for the wagering changes. I strongly prefer $.50 min wagers for all exotic bets that could trigger large payoffs and which enable one to make more combinations economically. I really appreciate the reduced takeout on those wagers.

We will find out shortly whether AP's average field sizes will be sub-8, but at least they're trying. Kudos.

Oh yeah, SIFF. (Stay In Florida Frank).
bjchapin1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »

Why not quinellas on six horse fields? It's another pool for bettors to consider.

There's 15 possible combos in a quinella pool on a 6 horse field. Why bother?

Inherently I don't have a problem with expanding the wagering menu, but at some point aren't you cannibalizing other pools? They already have some pretty thin pools offered (ie the rolling doubles after the R1/2)
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 01:30:32 PM »

There's 15 possible combos in a quinella pool on a 6 horse field. Why bother?

Because it's a separate pool from anything else, and can present additional overlays to take advantage of, is why.

Inherently I don't have a problem with expanding the wagering menu, but at some point aren't you cannibalizing other pools? They already have some pretty thin pools offered (ie the rolling doubles after the R1/2)

That's always a risk. The other risk is, people don't see anything they want to bet, so they don't.
Horse Voice

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 06:07:11 PM »

The more I think about the 50c pk 4 at AP, the more I don't like the decision. They are eliminating any possible chance of carryovers now, one of the things that most players like to go after. Especially if the fields are going to be as short as anticipated. The 50c on the pk 5 is fine, but leave the pk 4 at a buck. Don't change just for the sake of change.

Don, I also don't like 50 cent P4 if the fields are short, but I think it's a good way for the newer horseplayer to overcome their fear of the bet and take a shot at it. And we need new players, or it's just going to be me, you and a couple of others trading punches and dollars while they scrape 25% off the top every time we bet.

Ever watch newbies approach the craps table? By the time they figure a little bit out about how to play, they realize the entry price point is too high, and they walk away.

50 cent P4's? Those sound harmless and cute and friendly -- why, they won't hurt anybody! Besides, when AP is already sticking the patrons for $10 for a mediocre sandwich and $6 for a flat beer, what's a 50 cent bet? Just sayin'...
DonPietro

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »

Don, I also don't like 50 cent P4 if the fields are short, but I think it's a good way for the newer horseplayer to overcome their fear of the bet and take a shot at it. And we need new players, or it's just going to be me, you and a couple of others trading punches and dollars while they scrape 25% off the top every time we bet.

Ever watch newbies approach the craps table? By the time they figure a little bit out about how to play, they realize the entry price point is too high, and they walk away.

50 cent P4's? Those sound harmless and cute and friendly -- why, they won't hurt anybody! Besides, when AP is already sticking the patrons for $10 for a mediocre sandwich and $6 for a flat beer, what's a 50 cent bet? Just sayin'...

I definitely see your point, but it's almost like the chicken or the egg now. Will my pk 4 dollars wander off to another track instead of Arlington? Bottom line, if the fields are averaging 6.5, the pk 4 isn't an attractive bet to anybody. There's also going to be alot of "repeat" buttons being hit. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.  Grin
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »

Just look at it as your good friend, Arlington, helping you beat the tax man when you do hit the big one.
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 06:42:31 PM »

Rumor has it the hierarchy saw that they bet 3.5 million into the pick 6 at GP and it was a heated conversation that a few wanted .10 cent pick 4's to go along with the popular superfecta and 10 cent high 5's.......but a bottle of water is still 3.75 and 8 dollar admission
DonPietro

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »

Rumor has it the hierarchy saw that they bet 3.5 million into the pick 6 at GP and it was a heated conversation that a few wanted .10 cent pick 4's to go along with the popular superfecta and 10 cent high 5's.......but a bottle of water is still 3.75 and 8 dollar admission

Did you ever notice this big bag of wind's every post says "rumor has it"? Come out from behind the bushes Sparky, we won't tell anyone.
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 07:46:25 PM »

Hey Don are you a trainer or jockey???
DonPietro

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 07:53:23 PM »

Hey Don are you a trainer or jockey???

Nope. The only time I got on a horse, he turned around and asked if we both could get off. One at a time.   Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: