Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 16, 2014, 10:41:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hotwalkers for Summer at AP  (Read 2336 times)
thearmada

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2011, 05:52:54 PM »

Is it unusual for trainers to hire new people walk out there horses after works? I would be interested in doing this this summer at AP as something fun and unique to do for a summer. If you do know any trainers please feel free to message me with info.

Thanks.

Sorry for double posting, but I figured this would get more views than in the Conditioning/Training subforum.
Report to moderator   Logged
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:10:54 PM »

You might go to the stable gate and tell them you are a hotwalker,and they may make a announcement about anyone needing a hotwalker.
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 10:08:45 PM »

horse
    There is always someone looking for hot walkers but before you apply take this into consideration....Most trainers require hot walkers to remain the entire day to cool horses not only after morning works/gallops but also after they run. Some trainers require hot walkers to maintain tack and clean saddle towels, bandages, etc. Some hot walkers are also required to hold horses for the shoer. They may also have to keep the feed rooms clean and help unload hay etc. Every outfit is different.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:11:55 PM by sporthorse » Report to moderator   Logged
Scav

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 10:31:30 PM »

Is it unusual for trainers to hire new people walk out there horses after works? I would be interested in doing this this summer at AP as something fun and unique to do for a summer. If you do know any trainers please feel free to message me with info.

Thanks.

Sorry for double posting, but I figured this would get more views than in the Conditioning/Training subforum.

You understand that walking hots only pays about $250 a week, and it starts at 5:30am and ends around 11am, 7 days a week, and if your barn has something in, you are probably staying to walk him after a race, right?
thearmada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:43:59 PM »

You understand that walking hots only pays about $250 a week, and it starts at 5:30am and ends around 11am, 7 days a week, and if your barn has something in, you are probably staying to walk him after a race, right?

I have thought about that, but I think the whole experience would outweigh the pay. Seeing a horse win that you have worked with must feel great!  trophy
Scav

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 10:50:36 PM »

I have thought about that, but I think the whole experience would outweigh the pay. Seeing a horse win that you have worked with must feel great!  trophy

There is absolutely no better feeling if you ask me. Each horse has a personality, and seeing them compete and win is an amazing feeling live, but you should know that hot walking is not easy. It isn't something you just 'do'. Matter fact, my hot walking career lasted about two turns when I realized I was way out of element.
tapetea

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 01:15:12 PM »

Thanks.

No, it's not unusual. I'm sure many stables are looking for hotwalkers. Get a visitors pass, if you know someone already licensed, as it's better to walk around the barns rather than ask at the security gate.

And don't be too nervous. They won't give you difficult horses to walk if you're new to this. Good luck and have fun with it.
thearmada

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »

Thanks for the help. I will definitely see if this is something I will do. Not many people can have a unique opportunity like this for a summer job during college!
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »

That shank can be your best friend....learn how/when to use it, and various ways/reasons it is run thru the halter.  Some can stand a pop or two to get their attention and act right, while a pop can send one straight up as well.  Walking after a race usually finds you getting half dragged by a fired up horse, or a real tired one who is very thirsty.  Not to much water at a time...Some need shank over gums to walk the shed at times.  Best advice here is to ask the groom or assistant/trainer/rider about anything you may have concerns about.  Never show fear.  They are just creatures acting out of instinct and ignorance.  You are in control. Most of the guys will keep and eye on you and inform you of potential pitfalls, i.e. giving to much shank, ect.....
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 06:11:15 PM »

you may know this already when you hot walk and a REAL trainer comes to you and says how much did the horse drink you had better tell him how many swallows in so many minutes notice I said REAL trainers.
Another thing always and I mean always look at the feet first to see if all shoes are on and the horse did not loose one and always tell the trainer if one is gone , watch for thumps watch for a horse not drinking also
they will notice you are paying attention to detail these are things every GREAT trainer will watch for in a hot walker now if this is just a fun thing for you to do for the experience don't waist your time or the trainers or the horses any part of working with a horse is important a hot walker can kill a horse so it is not a walk in the park don't mean to discourage

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 06:39:15 PM »

The backstretch is a cesspool be very careful back there its no place for a rookie...... you'll get skinned alive back there.......its not a fun or safe place .....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:42:19 PM by Matchtown » Report to moderator   Logged
lv hillbilly

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »

good luck.i think that is a great idea for someone who does not really NEED the money.make sure to be honest and tell them you know NOTHING about horses and they will help out.also if you want to come to CHARLES TOWN and work for free i would be glad to help.good luck and remember......"TAKE A LEFT,AND WHEN YOU GET TO THE CORNER,TAKE ANOTHER LEFT"......also dont fall for "THE KEY TO THE QUARTER POLE" or "SADDLE STRETCHER" and last the  "STALL JACK" is not used to rake under the corners....lol....have fun
tapetea

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 05:01:45 AM »

The backstretch is a cesspool be very careful back there its no place for a rookie...... you'll get skinned alive back there.......its not a fun or safe place .....

Cesspool? I think that's a bit harsh. I worked in the backstretch for many years and I found the people very friendly. I never had a problem. I only have good memories of the backstretch at the Chicago tracks.
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 10:06:30 AM »

you may know this already when you hot walk and a REAL trainer comes to you and says how much did the horse drink you had better tell him how many swallows in so many minutes notice I said REAL trainers.
Another thing always and I mean always look at the feet first to see if all shoes are on and the horse did not loose one and always tell the trainer if one is gone , watch for thumps watch for a horse not drinking also
they will notice you are paying attention to detail these are things every GREAT trainer will watch for in a hot walker now if this is just a fun thing for you to do for the experience don't waist your time or the trainers or the horses any part of working with a horse is important a hot walker can kill a horse so it is not a walk in the park don't mean to discourage
[/quote

If a real trainer needs these questions answered without his own observations, I would question HIS experience...just sayin. I'm not gonna turn loose a green hotwalker if I have 10 in that day.  Somebody gonna be watching every horse cool out, someone that has my back such as an assistant.

If
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 03:27:08 PM »

good luck.i think that is a great idea for someone who does not really NEED the money.make sure to be honest and tell them you know NOTHING about horses and they will help out.also if you want to come to CHARLES TOWN and work for free i would be glad to help.good luck and remember......"TAKE A LEFT,AND WHEN YOU GET TO THE CORNER,TAKE ANOTHER LEFT"......also dont fall for "THE KEY TO THE QUARTER POLE" or "SADDLE STRETCHER" and last the  "STALL JACK" is not used to rake under the corners....lol....have fun

horse
   You also forgot the errand to go and get a "bucket of steam" laughing guy laughing guy
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 03:40:42 PM »

If a real trainer cannot answer these questions with his own observations, then I question HIS ability. A glance at the water bucket and my watch works for me. Myself or an assistant detect missing loose shoes, if groom misses his calling in that regard. Nobody is going to turn loose a green hotwalker if they are a REAL trainer, even if they have 10 in that day, or are busy clocking, ect..they will not put you in a position to compromise owner investments. Start by walking joggers, day offs, and lay-ups, and they will bring you along...
lv hillbilly

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »

horse
   You also forgot the errand to go and get a "bucket of steam" laughing guy laughing guy
forgot that one thanks
Horse Voice

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 03:09:52 PM »

Nonsense. This is merely a euphemism for hate, bigotry. Stop it.
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 06:58:36 PM »

Nonsense. This is merely a euphemism for hate, bigotry. Stop it.

HV,you ever work the backside?Too bad the cesspool rings true for a lot of tracks.
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 07:55:13 PM »

Please keep us posted on your summer time experience on the backside and what you think of it
lv hillbilly

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »

Please keep us posted on your summer time experience on the backside and what you think of it
YES,i too want an update on your new job.or did you change your mind about walking hots?
arlingtonmatt

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 03:16:29 PM »

I am looking to get into the horse racing industry and thought hot walking horses would give me an insightful look into the equine path of it.  So do you guys think I could just go to the stable gate to see if a trainer needs a hot walker? I mean, I have no hands on experience working with horses, so how much would that be a problem?
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 09:13:28 PM »

I don't know as much as others on this forum, but I would think no experience would make it very hard for you.   Even with horses that are not race horses, you need some knowledge to be able to handle them. 
Alpha Mare
Global Moderator

OYE VEY!!!!

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 08:16:32 AM »

when i worked the backside for two summers at saratoga in the early 90's for rokeby stable...i was lucky.....had lifelong horse experience......had a boyfriend who was one of his exercise riders.......got to graze my 'faves' daily......'you'd be surprised' and 'martha's vineyard'...even got to graze derby and travers winner 'sea hero' a few times.....(mack was a stickler about every horse getting grazing and/or turn out time daily,and being on the oklahoma track, we had the luxury of grassy areas and paddocks).. and was the overall barn ***...swept and raked the shedrow, kept the tack room clean, cleaned the halters and rewrapped them in bright white cotton strips when they got dirty - which was like every other day lol..........was not allowed to tape the ends....had to 'tie and tuck'......did the horse laundry, kept the hay nets full, watered the plants, was the chief peppermint feeder, etc......saratoga was a shorter meet then,and very busy and social...so the menial tasks i did every day took the pressure off the asst trainer and the grooms.....i even got to ride the pony around.....maybe cause my boyfriend worked on the backside or maybe cause the times were different.....but i never, ever felt in danger on the backside and found it a very humble place....sure i got cat calls from the mexicans....'busty' women do.....but no one was ever malicious.....and there were some hopping barn parties on weekends.....it is an experience i will treasure forever and am so lucky to have been able to experience!

Absolutely amazing.......s.m.h.....
Round Table

And then I saw her, coming out of the sun.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 08:37:57 AM »

I think you have to want to do it.  Like any job, if you start out, they want you young.

Edwarren and I are good friends.  His wifes  daughter  walked hots and mucked stalls when she was a teenager.  Later her daughter got into rodeo.  Real pretty girl.  Anyway Ed and I tried to encourage her to get involved in racing but it was the last thing she seemed to want to do,  and never did.

They ought to return to Tampa and fix the mistake they made.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: