Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 24, 2014, 12:53:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is Ron Marsh?  (Read 3752 times)
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 05:53:34 PM »

nope thats how he got busted.....i know the whole story from friends that were in the race rey and mickey rodriguez and homer hochstetler......
Report to moderator   Logged
diamond

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »

What race was it? I was told he got in trouble for 2 races. One race when he drove Turn Me Loose Kid and broke. The other was when he was driving Mike's Cadet and he failed to give his best effort. Both horses were favorites. Was it one of those races?
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2011, 06:17:07 PM »

Maywood Park turnmeloosekid rings a bell he was the 7 that i remember maybe 3/5 ish broke at  the start.....the boys in the know crippled the tri and perfecta supers  ...they cashed on a sam machine and gave ronnie his proceeds on a voucher..... the stewards were all over it and got the bet log from that race.......big bets in the race with no 7.......froze the voucher or vouchers that resulted from those bets........the crooks gave ronnie his cut that nite or next morning in one of those vouchers .....ronnie went to cash it at 630 the next nite. .....teller put it in and got message call security on the screen and mr marsh was apprehended without incident.....;think he got life which ended up being 8 or 10 years by then the skills had diminished to the point of no return
burton

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2011, 06:21:59 PM »

Maywood Park turnmeloosekid rings a bell he was the 7 that i remember maybe 3/5 ish broke at  the start.....the boys in the know crippled the tri and perfecta supers  ...they cashed on a sam machine and gave ronnie his proceeds on a voucher..... the stewards were all over it and got the bet log from that race.......big bets in the race with no 7.......froze the voucher or vouchers that resulted from those bets........the crooks gave ronnie his cut that nite or next morning in one of those vouchers .....ronnie went to cash it at 630 the next nite. .....teller put it in and got message call security on the screen and mr marsh was apprehended without incident.....;think he got life which ended up being 8 or 10 years by then the skills had diminished to the point of no return
You forgot to mention a serious drug problem.
Lots of second chances.
Too bad he he couldn't get it together.
He was a very good driver.
infinity

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2011, 06:23:32 PM »

I heard it was Mike's Cadet. I drove that horse at Maywood and I remember being told I was driving the horse Marsh got in trouble with!
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2011, 06:26:55 PM »

I really liked boom boom he always drove the horses I had anything to do with terrific...
diamond

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2011, 06:34:25 PM »

Here is the story. It was a saturday night at maywood. Mike's Cadet was 6-1 in the program and had post number 5 and really didn't look too bad in the program because he was dropping down in class. He took a ton of play and was bet down to 8-5* favorite. Marsh had a golden chance to pull from 5th before the half and failed to do so. He was shuffled to last with a tone of pace at the end. I heard this was the race that got him nailed. A month prior he drove Turn Me Loose Kid and broke before the start. The problem was that someone had reported to the stewards that Marsh would break in that race prior to the start. This was not that bad because this horse had a severe breaking problem. However, Marsh was now under the microscope and got nailed in an illegal betting pattern and failure to give his best effort in the Mike's Cadet race. The only part I didn't know was that he tried to cash a $6,000 voucher. I was under the impression the tickets went uncashed from an article I read about the story.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:43:27 PM by diamond » Report to moderator   Logged
diamond

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »

The other betting scheme had Jeff Tilden and Rodney Mills stiffing the top two favorites at 4-5* and 3-1. Hiteman won the race at 4-1 from the 6 hole and bombers came in second and third with very small gimmick payouts. It was the first race of the program. Bizz was the favorite with Mills and he broke on the first turn. Tilden's horse broke at the 3/4 pole.
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »

25 yrs ago the memory gets a little foggy  but homer used to joke about will you take a voucher.......i think homer was in that race also with rey s horse which was big micks brother but the voucher part is !00% true.........the not ever being cashed your right about cause they were all froze......any other good stiff storeys?Huh?
diamond

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »

We are both right. They were uncashed, but I just never new Marsh made an attempt to cash a voucher worth that much.
diamond

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »

I was at maywood when Marsh stiffed both those horses and I was there the night Tilden and Mills pulled their fix scheme.
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2011, 06:53:30 PM »

i was at Hawthorne 30 yrs ago this kid runs up to me says my name then tells me do my dad a favor bet 500 on the 8......i said the kids name maybe about 12 at the time but your dads on the 4 (8/5) he says i know he wants the 8 i look hes 7 to one i go bet his 500 and 50 for me and walk out to the apron it was a cold Hawthorne nite as usual.....4 never had a chance no try and here come the 8 with Dave Howard driving the horses name was elicit affair and he wins easy pays about 10 bucks and that horse went on to win the midwest derby at sportsmans that summer
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2011, 06:58:06 PM »

the worst guy was Brian Pelling for betting i tell you what that Hawthorne winter meet with the double headers i made at least 50,000 in bets for that guy on his rats and he never won 1 time he  was o for the meet betting with me
burton

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2011, 07:00:44 PM »

the worst guy was Brian Pelling for betting i tell you what that Hawthorne winter meet with the double headers i made at least 50,000 in bets for that guy on his rats and he never won 1 time he  was o for the meet betting with me
When he was racing do to a court order he got to keep racing after positives, he won with everything in an incredible streak.
I cashed some big ones during that time.
diamond

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2011, 07:03:13 PM »

One Saturday afternoon at hawthorne a horse called platoon opened up with $5,000 across the board on him. The horse was a longshot in the program and was off form. Ron Marsh was driving. The money never came off the horse and he went off at about 7-2 when he opened at 1-9 favorite. Marsh goes right to the top and sets blistering fractions. Marsh has a 2 length lead at the 8th pole and goes off stride. It looked promising until he broke. Don't know what to make of this race. I never saw anything like it some 20+ years later.
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2011, 07:06:06 PM »

them double headers at hawthorne were the best......that was good racing
burton

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »

One Saturday afternoon at hawthorne a horse called platoon opened up with $5,000 across the board on him. The horse was a longshot in the program and was off form. Ron Marsh was driving. The money never came off the horse and he went off at about 7-2 when he opened at 1-9 favorite. Marsh goes right to the top and sets blistering fractions. Marsh has a 2 length lead at the 8th pole and goes off stride. It looked promising until he broke. Don't know what to make of this race. I never saw anything like it some 20+ years later.
If a driver is going to lose a race on purpose, breaking stride is about the last option they will take.
It is dangerous and can get them seriously hurt.
The other drivers will not look kindly on it and the trainers do not want their horse hurt or involved with a driver who is dangerous to hiself and others on purpose
diamond

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2011, 07:08:23 PM »

On august 23rd 1987 at spk Pelling was telling people close to him that he was driving a first time starter that wasn't going to lose. Pelling and his friends loaded up on Mighty Oak Diamond. He was right about that. The horse won for fun.
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »

howard brown told carmen alessi i dont care if you stiff my horse just tell me so i dont bet my money is that to much to ask
diamond

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2011, 07:12:18 PM »

Burton, I agree, but platoon broke because he may have been leg weary due to being so pumped up that Marsh couldn't shut him down. Turn Me Loose Kid was just a chronic breaker. In the case of Tilden and Mills both breaking, who knows? However, they found an illegal pattern in that race as well and both were suspened.
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »

pelling could get them home he never won when he had me bet his money .....NEVER... brad dye and frank deglomine (stewards) would try to follow me out of the paddock but I'd shake them quick with them big crowds.....how good were the hamburgers in the paddock when char and porkchop ran it dam they were good
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:21:59 PM by Matchtown » Report to moderator   Logged
diamond

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »

Win, lose, or draw, I loved those John's hot dogs across the street at maywood park. Best hot dogs I ever ate.
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »

everynight i was there I'd get 2 polish with tomato and a coke......best 2 bucks of the night
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »

how old are you diamond and burton 53 here
sleepless

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »

from the chi trib 1995 regarding boom boom marsh

The first alleged incident was in the 10th race on Nov. 11, in which Marsh drove Mike's Cadet, a 9-to-5 favorite who finished sixth. The race was won by 11-1 shot French Canadian, and Brooklets Riggs (15-1) finished second, producing a $165.60 perfecta.

In the fourth race on Dec. 5, Marsh was at the reins of 7-5 favorite Turnme Loose Kid. The horse broke stride at the start and never got into contending position. Davey Boy W, sent off at 14-1, won and John R., at 28-1, placed for a $195.40 perfecta.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: