Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 21, 2014, 03:36:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ot news story that fundamentally annoys me  (Read 4286 times)
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2011, 10:38:05 PM »

diffuse this   and

learn to read

the top  400 individuals  have wealth  = to the lowest  150,000,000 citizens

Tell it to Buffett & Gates. 

I must know how to read but you just flip on MSNBC & listen to their answers.   head shake head shake
Report to moderator   Logged

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Round Table

And then I saw her, coming out of the sun.

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2011, 10:49:55 PM »

Tell it to Buffett & Gates. 

I must know how to read but you just flip on MSNBC & listen to their answers.   head shake head shake

BS

forbes  magazine   came out  in the fall  with the net worth  of the wealthiest  americans

steve  forbes   and his magazine  track  wealth.

in the midst of this round of budget cuts, for some reason we are pretending that the money of the wealthy and super-rich, whose wealth has grown out of all proportion to the realities faced by every other American, doesn't count.

there's tremendous truth here: as Forbes told us last fall in their splashy annual feature on the 400 wealthiest Americans, this lucky handful saw their combined wealth grow to $1.37 trillion dollars, more than the holdings of the bottom 50 percent of Americans.

The richest 400 of us now control more wealth than 150,000,000 of us.

They ought to return to Tampa and fix the mistake they made.
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2011, 11:05:49 PM »

The charts from UCal indicate a virtual unchanged % of wealth from the top 1% to the other 99% over a period of at least 85 years.

UCal considers themselves the MOST PROGRESSIVE, MOST LIBERAL COLLEGE & CITY in the USA.  Not one of the most - THE MOST!

You sound like one bitter guy.  I do feel for you.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Round Table

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2011, 11:08:36 PM »

BS

forbes  magazine   came out  in the fall  with the net worth  of the wealthiest  americans

steve  forbes   and his magazine  track  wealth.

in the midst of this round of budget cuts, for some reason we are pretending that the money of the wealthy and super-rich, whose wealth has grown out of all proportion to the realities faced by every other American, doesn't count.

there's tremendous truth here: as Forbes told us last fall in their splashy annual feature on the 400 wealthiest Americans, this lucky handful saw their combined wealth grow to $1.37 trillion dollars, more than the holdings of the bottom 50 percent of Americans.

The richest 400 of us now control more wealth than 150,000,000 of us.

learn  to read

you sound  like one  dumb  ass-hole

Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2011, 11:13:56 PM »

learn  to read

you sound  like one  dumb  ass-hole

Congratulations.  You're the first yo-yo to make it to my "ignore" button in over a year.

Bitter, bitter, bitter.  I hope things get better for you though I doubt they will until you change your attitude.

Round Table

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »

laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy

make  sure you stay  off  the "show me"  button.

Round Table

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2011, 11:30:42 PM »

I think this study & these numbers totally diffuse the ...

illiterate  

the word   you want  is   "defuse"

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2011, 12:33:39 AM »

Bogus?  You mean, like, fake?

I mean bogus in the case of Iraq because we were lied to as to why. And bogus in Libya's case because we totally ignore other "possible humanitarian disasters" in any number of other African countries. Kaddafi is a dick, but what's the U.S./U.N. excuse for intervening in Libya's internal affairs? Would we stand for some other country intervening in something like the Watts riots?  

Someone made 'em up?  Saddam wasn't feeding his enemies into plastic shredders?  Do tell.

Maybe he was, but it's damn sure not what Rumsfeld and Cheney told us the war was about. WMD's ... remember them? Or do we just go to war now and invent some handy excuses later? No, that war was about hopefully installing a more oil-friendly "democratic" regime, and that's what Libya is about, too.

And yeah, the US gets into wars solely to "protect oil interests"... like Bosnia, right?

We really sent in massive ground troops and committed 10+ years and $trillions to that one, didn't we?

The cost of a gallon of gas to the American people happens to be far, FAR less than the folks up north of the 49th parallel pay for an equivalent amount.

That's the cost at the pump, not the combined cost I was talking about. They don't spend a $trillion a year playing cop of the world to ensure that the oil companies and the Halliburtons can continue to make tidy profits. There's your "hidden costs". Interestingly, they also have a functional health system for everyone, instead of being so overstretched by unfunded defense spending that they have to talk about cutting the hell out of it for old and poor people like the Repugs are doing.

Imagine, George Bush gets into two long and expensive wars, one of which was even legit, but never once does he come in front of the American people and say, "Look, we all need to sacrifice a little and actually pay for these." Incredible. Instead, he hides the true cost of them off budget and puts us all deep in hock to China borrowing the money to pay for them ... and then all of sudden as soon as he's out of office the sky falls and the country is supposedly broke. Well, duh, that's because YOU WEREN'T PAYING FOR YOUR WARS!

Viva Che!  head shake

Are you some sort of commie? Please don't say you're a commie.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:35:17 AM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged
Total Truth

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2011, 03:33:54 AM »

I already have... I've been to Canada a number of times, and, yes, they are not on the US dollar.

If you are going to preach the inevitable angry-kiddie-with-goatee "AmMerricCa is cOllapSeing" scenario, think twice before you do so. TYIA.

doesn't matter what country you are in oil is always priced in US Dollars.  GASOLINE is priced in local currency, one of the reason gas is more expensive in other countries is they have to convert their local currency to US dollars to purchase the oil.  Almost every country HAS to have a holding of US Dollars in order to purchase oil....except us, we can just print us dollars because it is the worlds reserve currency.  The day the rest of the world says enough, and oil is priced in Euro, Yuan, or a basket of currencies, it will be game over for the Dollar
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:19:16 AM by Total Truth » Report to moderator   Logged
Total Truth

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2011, 11:15:02 AM »

Instead, he hides the true cost of them off budget and puts us all deep in hock to China borrowing the money to pay for them

QE1 - 600 billion debt created

QE2 - 600 billion debt created

QE3 - coming soon to a county near you.

We are only getting further and further into debt.  Over a trillion dollars in debt created of which none of it went where the supposeded money was supposed to go.  I for one am dead set against the wars Bush started, but come on O honest and balanced one to say our current "hock" is all Bush's doing or the republicans is assinine.   Clinton, Bush, and Obama are all a bunch of a-holes and the republicans and democrats equally share in the blame for our current financial position.
tony clifton

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2011, 11:44:58 AM »

Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2011, 12:05:23 PM »

I for one am dead set against the wars Bush started, but come on O honest and balanced one to say our current "hock" is all Bush's doing or the republicans is assinine.   Clinton, Bush, and Obama are all a bunch of a-holes and the republicans and democrats equally share in the blame for our current financial position.

Remember, when Bush was in office, all the anti-war protests?

Where have they gone?  We certainly don't have fewer troops fighting.  Funny, it seems to me that those protesters were not anti-war, they were just anti-Bush.

Thank you once again, mainstream media for doing such a great one-sided job.  BSmeter

3 wide and wingin

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »

If anyone knows any illegal aliens. Tell them to come to Maryland.
The state legislature just voted in tuition breaks and in state tuition for illegal aliens.
The states bankrupt but can pay for that. Too funny
I got my horse racing bill through so I am cool with it. But someone pays for this and its the working stiff who works 9-5 every day.
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »

The state legislature just voted in tuition breaks and in state tuition for illegal aliens.
I got my horse racing bill through so I am cool with it. But someone pays for this and its the working stiff who works 9-5 every day.

Yeah, & some left-wing yo-yo is worried about Pell Grants!  They will never, never learn!

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »

Yeah, SOME, against the totally optional war of Iraq.

Where have they gone?  We certainly don't have fewer troops fighting.

In case you hadn't heard, Iraq's winding down now, and the guys there are mostly sitting in the safety of their bases. Sitting, not fighting.

Funny, it seems to me that those protesters were not anti-war, they were just anti-Bush.

Funny, I remember those protests as anti-Iraq war, which is pretty much over.  crossedfingers

Thank you once again, mainstream media for doing such a great one-sided job.  BSmeter

Or thank Fox News for brain-washing you into a yet another revisionist version of history.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2011, 02:30:33 PM »

QE1 - 600 billion debt created

QE2 - 600 billion debt created

QE3 - coming soon to a county near you.

Hows that compare, overall, to year upon year upon year of deficits fueled by military spending on steroids? (Not to mention, the various Bush tax rebates, and the Bush bank bailout?

Oops, here's the ultra-conservative USA Today saying the cost of just the Iraq and Afghan war could exceed $2.4 trillion ... every cent of it borrowed money.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2007-10-23-wacosts_N.htm

I for one am dead set against the wars Bush started, but come on O honest and balanced one to say our current "hock" is all Bush's doing or the republicans is assinine.

Well, of course it is. That's why I provide the BALANCE on this forum to our little colony of radical righties who constantly claim everything is the fault of Obama or the liberals. I just intentionally couch my claims in the same ridiculous absolutist finger-pointing terms as the righties. Pretty damn ridiculous, isn't it?

Clinton, Bush, and Obama are all a bunch of a-holes and the republicans and democrats equally share in the blame for our current financial position.

And let us not forget St. Reagan, the original borrow-and-spend voodoo practitioner. One positive thing about him, though, as well as his successor GHW Bush, he was smart enough to realize that sometimes you had to raise taxes to pay for the things people demand of their government.

If these righties were truly serious about cutting spending everything would be on the table, including military spending and the big subsidies paid to their corporate friends. Cuts across the board, every program in proportion. Start with the salaries paid to the Senators and Congressmen, and their budgets for staff and expenses. But no, they won't do that, all the cuts seem to have to come out of liberal causes and social programs, and their actions speak louder than words, because what this is really all about is them trying to ram their own ultra-reactionary morals and economic theories down the throats of the rest of the citizenry.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2011, 02:37:39 PM »

According to an article from the Univ. of Cal. Santa Cruz (Left leaners, of course), titled "Who Rules America", here's the top 1% of wealth vs. the other 99% thru the years:

Year     Top 1%    99%

1922      36%       63%
1933      33%       66%
1945      29         70
1953      31         68
1965      34         65
1979      20         79
1989      35         64
1998      38         61
2007      34         65

I think this study & these numbers totally diffuse the left's arguments.

http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html

You need to read far more of that article you brought to the table, Dolfan. It is, in fact, quite damning evidence in support of the primary argument of the left, that INCOME gains have skewed far away from the average working joe over the past 30 years, and that a far greater proportion of INCOME is headed to the few at the top now. Income - the stuff people used to spend that fueled the consumer economy.

And, by the way, the word is defuse.
Round Table

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2011, 02:48:48 PM »

glad you got yours 3ww.

md beomes the 12th   state to do this the way it works  is

The in-state tuition proposal would enable undocumented students who have attended Maryland high schools for at least three years, and whose families pay state taxes, to pay in-state tuition rates at community college. After completing 60 credit hours the equivalent of two years of full-time study a student could transfer to a four-year state college for the in-state rate.

Democrats from conservative areas of the state cited fiscal concerns for their votes against both in-state tuition and the alcohol tax.

"People's expectation was that we come here and get our finances in order and work to create jobs," said Del. John L. Bohanan Jr., a member of the House budget committee. The St. Mary's County Democrat voted against both measures.

But supporters said the bills would prove wise economic policies for Maryland.

"It was never about immigration," said Sen. Victor Ramirez, a Prince George's Democrat who sponsored the in-state tuition bill. "It's about what to do with the intellect of our children. Do we invest in them, or kick them to the side? The people win with this bill because we'll have a more educated work force."

the baltimore sun  -  made no mention of "tuition breaks"  they  will  pay  what  instate residents  pay but parents must have paid state taxes for 3years.    not  sure  if that means  income  taxes.

OTB

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »

Where have they gone?  We certainly don't have fewer troops fighting.  Funny, it seems to me that those protesters were not anti-war, they were just anti-Bush.

Thank you once again, mainstream media for doing such a great one-sided job.  BSmeter

Any war with an R next it is bad, any war with a D next it is good.  MSNBC says so so it must be true.

The war protesters during Bush have been shown to be phony.
Round Table

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2011, 02:55:35 PM »

Any war with an R next it is bad, any war with a D next it is good.  MSNBC says so so it must be true.

The war protesters during Bush have been shown to be phony.

BS

where  you been?

plenty of democrats  oppose

OTB

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2011, 02:59:35 PM »

BS

where  you been?

Really?  Diane Finestein came out and said we should assassinate Qaddafi.  Put down the MSNBC crack pipe and call it as it is, the war protesters have gone away, Dolfan is correct.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2011, 03:05:36 PM »

BS

where  you been?

Even their worst allegedly-liberal nightmare on this forum, me, can recognize the subtle difference between a justified war (Afghanistan) and one that was totally optional (Iraq). I didn't demonstrate against either one, and had long arguments with some posters where I was the one SUPPORTING Afghanistan. I can quite easily imagine how other people might get out there and demonstrate against one war, but maybe not another.

These right wingnuts, however, seem to be totally incapable of recognizing anything besides black and white.
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »

Even their worst allegedly-liberal nightmare on this forum, me, can recognize the subtle difference between a justified war (Afghanistan) and one that was totally optional (Iraq). I didn't demonstrate against either one, and had long arguments with some posters where I was the one SUPPORTING Afghanistan. I can quite easily imagine how other people might get out there and demonstrate against one war, but maybe not another.

These right wingnuts, however, seem to be totally incapable of recognizing anything besides black and white.

Here's the forum fool running his yap again about something he knows nothing about.  Many conservatives I know were against all three wars.  Don't confuse conservatives with Bush check pants water carriers.  It's like comparing a Democrat to Obama...they are not the same thing.
Round Table

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »

Here's the forum fool running his yap again about something he knows nothing about.  Many conservatives I know were against all three wars.  Don't confuse conservatives with Bush check pants water carriers.  It's like comparing a Democrat to Obama...they are not the same thing.

ok we wont be confused.

tony clifton

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2011, 03:26:40 PM »

Really?  Diane Finestein came out and said we should assassinate Qaddafi.  Put down the MSNBC crack pipe and call it as it is, the war protesters have gone away, Dolfan is correct.

Yes the vitriol and protesting has subsided

The wars have not

Dolfan is correct
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: