Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 01, 2014, 08:27:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Equine Sleep Apnea  (Read 2900 times)
looking in

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2011, 06:26:19 AM »

Anyone have any experience with sleep apnea in horses?
I have a two year old pacing gelding that shows the same signs as my wife did before she had a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea.
 He can't stay awake during the day . He is up and down all day. His snoring can be heard all over the barn.

It has definitely hurt his attitude and training on the track.
Any help would be appreciated.
Report to moderator   Logged

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 01:11:57 PM »

Horses can have narcolepsy.  Does he drop off when he's standing still, like on crossties? I had a horse once, Stb being trained to ride, that used to doze off and start to get wobbly when we stood still.  I always paid attention when I was on him and woke him back up before he fell. Could be a dangerous condition for a rider who wasn't aware.

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:44:51 PM »

Horses can have narcolepsy.  Does he drop off when he's standing still, like on crossties? I had a horse once, Stb being trained to ride, that used to doze off and start to get wobbly when we stood still.  I always paid attention when I was on him and woke him back up before he fell. Could be a dangerous condition for a rider who wasn't aware.
He is alright standing, just seems to tired to do or care about anything.

I googled Equine Sleep Apnea and got several articles and studies. Have not had time to read them all.

As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 07:45:34 AM »

Impossible to even guess without seeing the horse in person.  I assume you've pulled a blood count.  I agree unusual for a 2 yr old to not have any energy...

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:17:21 PM »

Unfortunately most horses I owned and trained use to conveniently become narcoleptic  about the 3/4 pole!
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 12:23:23 PM »

Anyone have any experience with sleep apnea in horses?
I have a two year old pacing gelding that shows the same signs as my wife did before she had a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea.
 He can't stay awake during the day . He is up and down all day. His snoring can be heard all over the barn.

It has definitely hurt his attitude and training on the track.
Any help would be appreciated.

We have solved the problem.
We used the sure fire, never fail, and best way to cure lameness, sickness, and/or attitude problems.

Sell the horse (price is inmaterial) shuffle the deck, deal the cards, and sleep better tonight.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: