Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 23, 2014, 12:40:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yonkers handle looking like Pocono  (Read 952 times)
FVRedhot

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2011, 09:05:33 PM »

and I for one am happy.  Whatever the motive for 1 1/16th mile races was, it was incredibly wrong.
Report to moderator   Logged
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:25:50 PM »

I agree that it makes no sense & the results look no different.  The races don't look different either but if anything I think it helps speed even more as things settle in sooner.

Isn't the OTB effect what's costing the pools though?

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
FVRedhot

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »

Yeah, the OTB certainly has added to the problem, but what I don't get is why change one of the thigns that doesn't matter.  Harness players are not T-bred players and never will be.  We like seeing a horse race once a week at the same distance.  If we wanted variety, we would bet T-breds...we don't!

The powers that be should recognize their niche and try to make that particular product the best it can be. 

Yonkers fan in KY

Yeah, Yonkers. 4 turns instead of 2. Deal me in!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »

Yeah, the OTB certainly has added to the problem, but what I don't get is why change one of the thigns that doesn't matter.  Harness players are not T-bred players and never will be.  We like seeing a horse race once a week at the same distance.  If we wanted variety, we would bet T-breds...we don't!

The powers that be should recognize their niche and try to make that particular product the best it can be. 

A G R E E D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just when you least expect it...just what you least expect.  The Pet Shop Boys
Homestretch

Harness Racing is "King" Of All Sports

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:07:29 PM »

thumbs up thumbs up
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:16:38 PM »

I own both and love watching both.
I love watching standardbreds go different distances and it is time that the harness take the blinkers off.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
bowserkat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 03:20:49 AM »

I love watching standardbreds go different distances and it is time that the harness take the blinkers off.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
supernaut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »

It's been tried at a bunch of different places. It just doesn't work.People don't want to bet on that. Harness racing needs things that will increase the handle.
chuckp

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:50:19 AM »

if people want their races run at a mile why is nobody betting pocono? i mean that is what your comparing yonkers handle with right? could it be why handle in harness racing is down everywhere is because the industry refuses to change or is often too late change.
supernaut

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:08:52 AM »

There are LOTS of reasons for the handle to be going down. Having the same distance for all of the races is NOT one of them. The bottom line is to get people to BET on those races. NOT just watch them.For you to blame people for not betting Pocono because they don't have different distance races is ridiculous.
supernaut

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »

And besides, Pocono is a garbage track that couldn't survive with the slot money. NOBODY bets there.
vaporize

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 10:44:56 AM »

And besides, Pocono is a garbage track that couldn't survive with the slot money. NOBODY bets there.
except Pig L or does he bet Saratogo ?  laughing guy laughing guy
FVRedhot

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 11:02:46 AM »

if people want their races run at a mile why is nobody betting pocono? i mean that is what your comparing yonkers handle with right? could it be why handle in harness racing is down everywhere is because the industry refuses to change or is often too late change.

The comparison between Yonkers and Pocono was handle only, not the racing distance.  I was merely pointing out that Yonkers, which once handled over 80K per race (not too long ago) is now barely making 40K, and sometimes doesn't make that, since going to the 1 1/16th mile races.  Pocono never handled anything and never will.  That product is completely useless in the eyes of the bettors.  They could run 1 mile, 70 miles, 10 feet, no one would care.  Yonkers, on the other hand, had a decent thing going and elected to actively ruin it.  Basically the difference between malfeasance and nonfeasance.  The former, to me, is never excusable.

Harness racing is a niche product and as such should be honed.  A foot-fetish dominatrix should not worry about her hair at the cost of neglecting her feet.  Understand your market and try to control that to near perfection, and then worry about expanding your market, but do not sacrifice the product that made your market.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: