Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 22, 2014, 12:59:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O/T - Fifty + Years of Math  (Read 417 times)
Alpha Mare
Global Moderator

OYE VEY!!!!

« on: January 24, 2011, 04:07:12 PM »

Fifty + Years of Math
1950 - 2000's (in the USA )

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3... Teaching Math In 1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's OK. )

6. Teaching Math In 2010

Un hachero vende una carretada de madera para $100. El costo de las producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?        maroon
Report to moderator   Logged

Absolutely amazing.......s.m.h.....
racing fan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:51:45 PM »

Fifty + Years of Math

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's OK. )

6. Teaching Math In 2010

Un hachero vende una carretada de madera para $100. El costo de las producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?        maroon

absolutely 100% correct. Though i fail to beleive some immigrant was crying because she couldn't make change for 1.58 fron 2.08. Laughing would be more like it, laughing that we were stupid enough to give her a job.
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »

finally she posts a joke with actual humor in it.

Certified Derbytologist
Yonkers fan in KY

Yeah, Yonkers. 4 turns instead of 2. Deal me in!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 07:55:59 PM »

Fifty + Years of Math

6. Teaching Math In 2010

What a post!!!  Thank you, Alpha Mare!!!   bowing

Just when you least expect it...just what you least expect.  The Pet Shop Boys
Alpha Mare
Global Moderator

OYE VEY!!!!

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 09:56:15 PM »

finally she posts a joke with actual humor in it.

oh hahah mr smarty pants  maroon

Absolutely amazing.......s.m.h.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: