Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 22, 2014, 05:06:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washington Park 1963  (Read 2886 times)
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 07:34:09 PM »

Who was the first three-year-old to race faster than two-minutes at Sportsman's Park?
Report to moderator   Logged

Regards Don
BattleGround

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 09:28:30 PM »

speaking about Ill racing in the 60's -I went to school down state - but went to the race 2-3 times a week - I remember a horse -  I think his name was Rusty Range (?) he won a bunch of races -anyone remember him?
     Yes williard niles drove him.
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 10:41:24 PM »

Who was the first three-year-old to race faster than two-minutes at Sportsman's Park?
I will guess The 1954 American National won by Race Time with Jimmy Arthur in 1:59

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Red Ketcher

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 11:46:12 PM »

Bret Hanover ran big time at Sportsman's Park , but can't say was the first.
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 01:13:15 AM »

I will guess The 1954 American National won by Race Time with Jimmy Arthur in 1:59

Is this a typo?
 Was 1954 meant to be 1964?

from the 1964 LBJ:
The withdrawal of Race Time because of a prolonged virus, the last-minute purchase of Red Carpet from the Almahurst Farms by the Miron Brothers, the prospect of a large field, all kept horsemen and fans alike guessing about the outcome. However, as the race progressed it was all Vicar Hanover and Combat Time.

A Mich-Bred named Knoxon

The following excerpt from July 8, 1964 Harness Horse and Sportsman's Park:
KNOXON PACES FIRST 2:00 3-YEAR-OLD MILE AT SPORTSMAN
Knoxon, the brilliant colt from Michigan, became the first 3-year-old to pace a mile faster than 2:00 at Sportsman's Park when he won the $6,000 Invitational Pace in 1:593/5 by a nose from Bosco Rosco. Breeder-owner Ervin Waldo drove Knoxon to his outstanding victory before a crowd of 13,461.

Away fastest from the gate, Knoxon outsprinted his six rivals around the first turn to reach the first quarter in :284/5. At the half-mile mark, Knoxon had a one-length lead over Ben Barrett with the rest of the field all close up. Bosco Rosco started his move at the head of the stretch followed by Lenawee Creed (maybe Harold Fisher) to inch up on the leader. From the eighth pole on it was a free-for-all battle between Knoxon, Bosco Rosco (Russell Valles Key), Combat Time (Bruce Nickells) and Fiametta (likely Del Insko).

It took several minutes before the photo finish picture revealed that Knoxon had won by a nose over Bosco Rosco, which had half a length advantage over Combat Time. The other four starters all finished within two lengths of each other.

Knoxon's time, of course, is a new track record for 3-year-old pacers at Sportsman's Park and the second 2:00 mile by a 3-year-old over a Chicago area harness track. Countess Adios and Adios Don jointly held the old mark of 2:002/5.

Regards Don
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2011, 01:18:17 AM »

Bret Hanover ran big time at Sportsman's Park , but can't say was the first.

Bret wasn't known for running, perhaps that was his race at
Arlington Wink
 Sorry couldn't resist.

Bret was a 2YO in 1964.
 Perhaps your recollection is from 1965?

Regards Don
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2011, 01:51:39 AM »

Quote from: Quote from: crackergenius on December 31, 2010, 06:24:04 PM
speaking about Ill racing in the 60's -I went to school down state - but went to the race 2-3 times a week - I remember a horse -  I think his name was Rusty Range (?) he won a bunch of races -anyone remember him?

Yes williard niles drove him.

The following from June 1963 Hoof Beats and by Dave Garland:

Top candidate for find of the year laurels in the 1963 series is Rusty Range, a bay son of Russet Hal p, T-1:594/5m-Rangeway p, 2:06f, who stunned Maywood Park fans and professionals alike with a come-from behind victory in the HTA inaugural leg. Stunned may be putting it mildly, for the Michigan-bred and owned upsetter returned an event-record $89.80 for $2.00 to those few who not only knew the horse, but had the courage to go against the majority opinion of his relative merits.

Two weeks later, Rusty and his driver, Willard Niles, proved that the Maywood win was far from a fluke by capturing the Brandywine leg of the series as well.

Just why Rusty Range was such an un-known at Maywood actually isn't a great mystery. While his career record is as impressive as they come, it's doubtful if more than a handful of even the sport's deepest diggers had ever heard of the Russet Hal-Rangeway offspring.

As a two-year-old, racing in Michigan on what is acknowledged to be a very worthy colt circuit, and with an occasional forray to the pari-mutuel meetings, the colt won 18 of 25 starts and took a mark of 2:083/5f. An excellent record for anybody's two-year-old, it is readily admitted, but the fact that two-year-old pacers have been known to go in 2:00 accounts for the fact that his reputation failed to cross state lines.

Last year, Rusty did even better. With Niles at the reins, he won 26 times in 35 starts, reduced his mark to 2:02f, and earned more than $24,000. Again, an outstanding record, but three-year-old pacers have been known to bank more than $100,000 in a racing season. And again, most of his 35 starts took place in his home state.
 end of quote

Many wonder what the horse may have done with a driver-more-in-the-limelight, and in reflection, it's easy to assume such things (some wonder what Bret Hanover may have accomplished with different driver), however Dean Hoffman's Jan Hoof Beats article (The Classics) and regarding Speedy Streak after he was removed from the backstretch care of Art Hult and the Ervin stable provides an interesting insight on what may happen when horses are moved to other management.

Regards Don
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2011, 05:30:36 AM »

Yes 1954 was a typo. I meant to post 1964.
I was thinking that the first 2:00 mile would have come in The American National. When I looked up the American Nationals on the USTA. website I discovered that they were first raced as The Trotting Club Stakes at Sedalia MO. from 1948 -1950.  Who Knew?

The chronicles of rich and historic events is a free service posted under History Of Major Races in turn posted under Racing.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2011, 08:01:30 AM »

The chronicles of rich and historic events is a free service posted under History Of Major Races in turn posted under Racing.

I was unable to locate this just the other day when attempting to look something up an inquiry.

The saved link I had on the USTA website was dead.
 I'd assumed the USTA just removed the page, rather than keep it updated.

Was able to locate History of Major Races

Many thanks.

Regards Don
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2011, 08:09:08 AM »

This brief item (which might tweak your interest) from the Feb 23, 1928 Trotter and Pacer magazine:

The Trotting Club Stakes

RACES of value for fast class trotters have long been one of the great needs of our major racing circuits. Realizing this, the Trotting Horse Club of America is sponsoring a series of races for free-for-all trotters, open to any horse regardless of record or earnings, to be raced at the eight Grand Circuit meetings. The events will be put on at the first Toledo, North Randall, Kalamazoo, Goshen, Syracuse, Indianapolis, Lexington and Atlanta meetings. The preliminary payments of $100 on the closing date, April 2d, on May 1st, and on June 1st, will keep horses eligible to all eight races up to the day before the race when a $500 starting fee will be payable.

With $1000 and a proportionate share of the earlier payments added to each race, a series of high grade contests for our best trotters is assured. There has been a feeling for years that the highest type of trotters were cut off from a satis factory earning power just at the height of their form, when their names had become famous enough to possess genuine attraction for the race going public. The Trotting Club stakes provide for these stars very satisfactorily.

For instance, Iosola's Worthy, penalized under the money classification for winning the turf's greatest stake, would be able to start in these events, although, of course, in her case it is unlikely, as the mare has been retired to the breeding ranks. The new system of classification will tend to make the free-for-all classes better and more profitable on both mile and half-mile tracks. The Trotting Horse Club is to be commended for this effort to improve racing for faster class horses.
 end of quote

These 1928 races were developed to circumvent earnings restrictions.

Any clue if the pacing races at Sedalia or the later American-Nationals offer the same exceptions?

Regards Don
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 11:06:47 AM »

@Wilderness, was Willard Niles related to Archie Niles?

I trust no one, not even myself~~
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »

Rose and Archie Niles Sr., had a dozen or more kids.

Kinda doubt you ever saw Archie Sr race and assuming your referring to Jr.

No idea of the order or even all their names.
Archie Jr, Willard and Howard, one of the girls (Lorraine) was a friend of a relative. One of the other Niles Girls is married to Fred Webster Jr.

Believe I've an obit on Rose Niles somewhere, however unable to locate.

The story goes, that Rose and Archie Sr. used to load all the kids in the transportation and spend the summers at the Mich Fairs.

Regards Don
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 11:59:19 AM »

The story goes, that Rose and Archie Sr. used to load all the kids in the transportation and spend the summers at the Mich Fairs.

Vegas,
           I don't desire to veer off topic with this thread.
I'm sure the Niles Children have many special memories, despite the fact they all had a hand in the work. Feeding a family that large is proven difficult and the kids ate were they could.

My paternal grandmother came from a family of thirteen children and they had very tough times.

My maternal grandfather came from a family of eighteen children (in Alabama) an they had a tougher time.

Being the oldest grandchild on both sides of my family, I was fortunate to be able to meet many of these relatives, not many are so blessed.

Regards Don
BattleGround

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2011, 05:15:08 PM »

There was a race with rosco bosco and bosco rosco and bosco in it however i forgot who won it at washington park.
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »

There was a race with rosco bosco and bosco rosco and bosco in it however i forgot who won it at washington park.

One or the other must have changed race classes.

Wednesday Sept 23, 1964 Rosco Bosco raced in a 2k Cond.

Saturday Sept 26, Bosco Rosco raced in the 7.5k Invite and then shipped out to Calif (multiple horsemen that year left Chicago early because of a pending rail stirke, which was settled before the Cal meets started). Bosco Rosco was in the Russel Valles Key stable.

Regards Don
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »

Rose and Archie Niles Sr., had a dozen or more kids.

Kinda doubt you ever saw Archie Sr race and assuming your referring to Jr.

No idea of the order or even all their names.
Archie Jr, Willard and Howard, one of the girls (Lorraine) was a friend of a relative. One of the other Niles Girls is married to Fred Webster Jr.

Believe I've an obit on Rose Niles somewhere, however unable to locate.

Archie Niles Jr. raced at R.R.,believe he also had a bar in Westbury L.I. called The Trotter Inn, if I'm not mistaken!

I trust no one, not even myself~~
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2011, 10:11:56 PM »

Archie Niles Jr. raced at R.R.,believe he also had a bar in Westbury L.I. called The Trotter Inn, if I'm not mistaken!

Vegas,
            If Archie Jr., did?
 I'm not aware it. however my lack of awareness is not anything definitive.

I could inquire with some Mich old-timers if it's necessary?

Howard Niles ran his own Horse transport company. Somehow even shipped a few by air.
 Believe I've ad showing one of Howard's trucks.

Regards Don
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: