Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 28, 2014, 04:24:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: horse with loose stool  (Read 5718 times)
roll em

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2010, 03:13:40 AM »

I was just wondering if anyone has ever run into this type of problem for a period of time with a  horse that hasn't been racing and was on rest,I'll go into detail any input is appreciated thank you

I've owned this horse for a few years now and raced him for 3 seasons. last season when i stopped for rest with him i just gave him a month or so off with an hour of turn out a day and light jogging.mid December of last year i noticed his manure was really bad and soft and was losing weight,i stall rested him for a week and he got worse,horse became deathly ill and vet was called,she came out and couldn't find the problem but believed it was ulcers i treated him pretty good for ulcers and still no recovery.i call vet back out, this time it is January and he's even sicker she tells me this time that horse has lost his good bacteria or has a blockage so she treats him. still no good

so i played around with the horse myself got him back on his feed put a little weight on him all the while he still has what i would call scours ,loose diarrhea. i call 3 different vets out  and none of them can figure out his problem or cure him.so i keep playing around with different feeds,hay stretch pellets,sweet feed,straight oats, trimax,inside track nothing seems to make him any better.but over time he regains all of his weight and it brings me to today when he's fat strong and looks like i could possibly begin training him but his manure is still loose and he gets off his feed every so often

I've talked to vets and horsemen and they seem to think that as long as he maintains his weight he can race and i tend to think that myself.the only problem i have right now is if i can maintain his weight while his manure is soft, i don't know weather it ties into him getting off his feed sometimes or not because he was always known to do this.thanks for any input
Report to moderator   Logged
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:02:30 AM »

Have you had the vet do a fecal for parrasites or blood in stools?

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »

horse
Has your vet recommended placing the horse on Probios. This will replace the good bacteria in the digestive tract. It really helps! All my horses in training are kept on a daily regimen of Probios and I have seen very positive results with loose stools..
roll em

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 02:06:11 PM »

i probably should have explained what i have done so far sorry about that.

vet did a complete blood and fecal.blood work and fecal test results show nothing,same thing with 3 different vets, blood is good and so was the fecal sample.i always give the horse half a litre of yogurt in his feed he really loves it.and i've fed him the alpha omega supplement biotic 8 with no results.i've drenched a healthy horse's manue into his stomach as a last resort and that was the only thing that ever helped him but after a week he went back bad again.i've had the vet out and she tubed him with electrolytes and activated charcol to see if she could dry him up.nothing. i have pretty much exhausted every thing you could do in the year that he has been off but like i say he's as strong looking as i have ever seen him
BabyFireFly

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 10:12:11 AM »

Did you say you tubed him with another horse's poop?

Check his heart and liver counts....especially if he has a "stink" about him, with the loose stools and the weight loss (ruling out parasites, lack of dental care and bad feed/water/hay).
roll em

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 02:32:04 PM »

yes we did,and soaked a healthy horse's manure in a bucket for 12 hours,it's suspose to put the productive bacteria back into his stomach.it worked his manure formed solid 2 days later and began eating again but it only lasted a week and his manure went back soft but kept on eating
dennycrane

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 09:41:55 PM »

roll em.. feed him yougert
roll em

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 04:16:03 PM »

he does get yogurt everyday.. he really does have me puzzled now.in november his diet was oats and sweetfeed, he got off his feed again so i thought maybe our feed supplier had a sour batch of sweet feed so i stopped feeding it all together just straight oats.about november 28 he got off his feed again so i changed feed suppliers and went with straight oats and he really is picky (almost drive you insane)so i started giving about half a gallon of oats and pellets  combined.he ate pretty good right up until december 21st he didnt eat a single oat that day. i come out to the barn on the 22nd to feed ,his manure is formed perfect, first time in months. i  feed him his breakfast  he cleaned up like a champ. this lasted 3 days.i fed on chrismas day and he was back soft as hell again.but he's eating. i have never seen anything like this in my life.
halfround

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 10:50:26 AM »

he does get yogurt everyday.. he really does have me puzzled now.in november his diet was oats and sweetfeed, he got off his feed again so i thought maybe our feed supplier had a sour batch of sweet feed so i stopped feeding it all together just straight oats.about november 28 he got off his feed again so i changed feed suppliers and went with straight oats and he really is picky (almost drive you insane)so i started giving about half a gallon of oats and pellets  combined.he ate pretty good right up until december 21st he didnt eat a single oat that day. i come out to the barn on the 22nd to feed ,his manure is formed perfect, first time in months. i  feed him his breakfast  he cleaned up like a champ. this lasted 3 days.i fed on chrismas day and he was back soft as hell again.but he's eating. i have never seen anything like this in my life.
I had a horse some time ago who ate good, was fat n round, but had very loose manure.  like you i had him vet checked many times, nothing.  so a friend of mine took him to his farm and gave him nothing but poor clean hay, that's all.  he lost a lot of weight, but after a while his manure got normal. then the guy started giving him small amounts of oats, then alittle more, and so on. he eventually gained his weight back and good from then on...don't know if that will do your horse any good,but it did the trick on mine..
optimist

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 01:08:44 AM »

i had a horse with exact same thing and basically tried all the same treatments you did.the best luck that i had long term was probios powder and 8 cimetidine or riniditine 2 times a day.ive had this horse 7 years and has been good for a 152 and change mile each year.the smell sometimes would make me gag and manure would be like cow patties.reading everything you have done is pretty much covering all bases.good luck
roll em

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 04:08:18 PM »

thanks for the replys. the horse is my grandfathers and he's probably the best one he's ever had and if it wasn't his i cant see him lasting as long as he did.for the money we race for in my area it wouldn't make sense to spend as much money on him that he did but he wants to give him another shot because he looks so good he's no world beater but i made a trade for him a few years ago and he's be progressively better every year until he was sick. he races in the top class here so you can see why he's attached to him.again thanks for the replys and any other ideas are welcome i'll try anything that i haven't done already
optimist

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 07:24:50 PM »

yogurt and buttermilk with a small packet of brewers yeast drenched or fed in mash helps alot(believe it or not the horses like it) any grocery store has all items.rinitidine is most cost effective then 800mg cimetidine 500 pills $95.00.ask your vet in your state about withdrawl times.pa up until raceday,ny fl 24 hours,nj 48 hours.in ill ontario ?sometimes there is nothing wrong and its just nerves and not always visable,horses can lose weight and get loose stool from it.i had 1 horse that i jogged on raceday because if i didnt he knew something was different and fret all day.treat him right and he will be fine.good luck
Humpy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 10:24:02 AM »

Check his teeth!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: