Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 24, 2014, 04:45:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why should Harness Racing be supported  (Read 2399 times)
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2010, 01:19:47 PM »

"correct" as you say is a many splendored thing.....one of your usual examples, Northfield, has typically a little more than a million bet each day, total. Now, using my 8%, I doubt any of their cards equal up to 80K a day in purses. That money goes somewhere, not into the purse account, which makes me and Supernaut "correct".....which is the EXACT thing that happens in Chicago.

I'd bet that far more than 1/2 that handle is from simulcast, which makes your 8% number unattainable if everyone wants (& does need) some kind of profit.  But I don't know the numbers of how much is simulcast compared to live handle.

But you & Supernaut agree that there are no tracks for sale.  I'm just wondering where you brave buyers were when 1/2 the tracks in the US were closing down & how much did you try to buy YR for when they were about to close...

The market is forever correcting itself.  I'm sure Spck is just stealing the money - ever watch their handle & $1200 purses?  Or how about PPK at the corners of each race-meeting when there's $2000 in the win pool?
Report to moderator   Logged

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Edwarren

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2010, 01:35:45 PM »

Fan....I do find it funny that you have continually challenged what Supernaut and I are tying to present as fact through our 1st hand experiennce with what happened in IL, yet, you do not accept what is the main point against you....the money is there. It is. Management gets it. Your example of a simple average purse is illogical because every different track has a different purse structure. I also enjoy your undying devotion to Christie, safely from your hom in S. FL.....there's some pretty hard core conservatives here VERY unhappy with his obviously bought and paid for AC tilt. But, it all remains to be seen. Since you seem to have all the answers and think things are "correcting" themselves...perhaps you can show where all this money goes.....( I know you cant, because the government cant, AND DONT)

Correcting themselves?  I don't think so.  Christie is opposed to growth and "worse for his fans" and NJ, his 2010 budget deficit is $2 billion bigger than Corzines, and will be the same $10 billion next year, as is the 2010 Christie $10 billion deficit this year.  Yep, the AC tilt, and he can't and won't disclose where millions of dollars in taxpayer subsidized tax breaks go, or the number of jobs those millions are creating or the nature of those jobs, including worker access to health care. 

NJ is buckling under the weight of the big fat slob.
the hard truth

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2010, 08:36:19 PM »

the people that race in delaware are just getting bigger welfare checks than the other people that are on welfare. thats just the way it is.
cheatsandthieves

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2010, 11:33:34 PM »

Ed I have not idea about NJ politics but if any one wants to stop supporting the Big M with Nj money and AC money then I think the guy is right. Lease it for $1 and let it go and stop the bleeding while you can and not give up the value of the property.   Go for Christie !!!  and if it is profitable someone like Pigland will buy it and make it profitable, and if really lucky Gural will jump in if he believes in the sport.
Edwarren

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2010, 02:28:24 PM »

Ed I have not idea about NJ politics but if any one wants to stop supporting the Big M with Nj money and AC money then I think the guy is right. Lease it for $1 and let it go and stop the bleeding while you can and not give up the value of the property.   Go for Christie !!!  and if it is profitable someone like Pigland will buy it and make it profitable, and if really lucky Gural will jump in if he believes in the sport.

It could have been sold for $600MM with an approved slots license.  $1?  Changing technology could make horse racing as we know it right now profitable within a decade.  It's nothing more than a grab to concentrate wealth while excluding others.  Neo-conservatism is a no-growth movement.  It does this by axeing jobs, its primary tool and its primary reason to exist.
supernaut

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2010, 03:38:46 PM »

But you & Supernaut agree that there are no tracks for sale. 

I NEVER said there were NO tracks for sale. But Balmoral, Maywood and Northfield are NOT for sale. Johnston/Langley make WAY too much money to shut those places down. I'd like to have what they make on the breakage. They have 4 payoffs at the Chicago tracks and that means 4 breakages. EVERY race. All pools. Nice............................GUARANTEED PROFIT.
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2010, 09:17:47 PM »

Not only should they have a profit but they MUST make a profit.  Stop begrudging them - they are the ones taking all the risk.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: