Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 23, 2014, 11:21:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeders' Cup World Championships: Sunday notes  (Read 557 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: November 07, 2010, 02:11:54 PM »

Breeders’ Cup World Championships
SUNDAY NOTES         

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Al Stall Jr. (Blame, 1st, Classic; J.B.’s Thunder, 9th, Juvenile) – Breeders’ Cup Classic-winning trainer Al Stall Jr. left the afterglow of Blame’s heart-pounding victory Saturday over super mare Zenyatta to end her record of 19 straight victories and headed to his hometown of New Orleans at mid-morning Sunday.

In the meantime, the 4yo Blame, a son of the Claiborne Farm stallion Arch, was awaiting his next move – a trip to Paris, Ky., where he will stand as a stallion at historic Claiborne beginning in 2011. Blame is co-owned by Claiborne Farm and Adele Dilschneider.

Stall had time to be a bit introspective before setting off for regular wintertime southern exposure. His take on his good fortune: “It’s exciting the way things worked out. It’s a rare thing in this game to make a long-term plan that works. Our stable has been on fire for some unknown reason. That’s the way horseracing is and we’ll take anything that comes our way. A lot of horsemen work every bit as hard as we do, but don’t get as far as we have. We were just in the right place at the right time.”

As for what he saw in Blame, Stall said, “We thought a lot of him from the day he walked into the barn as a 2-year-old, but you don’t ever know that they are this elite. That’s the beauty of this game.”

The Classic seemed to shape up just the way Stall had hoped it would, “I loved the trip he was having. I liked the way it was setting up. He had a little scrimmage on the front end at the quarter pole, but when he got through there and kind of pushed Lookin At Lucky out of the way, here comes Zenyatta and they both just made tracks for the wire.

“I know the Zenyatta people aren’t happy with the outcome, but, believe me, she didn’t lose anything in defeat. As everybody knows, she’s the best racemare there’s ever been in the game,” he said.

As for a possible Horse of the Year honor for Blame, Stall said, “We’re in the mix, and what happened on the field of strife, hopefully will have a bearing on the outcome.”

About Blame’s impending retirement, Stall said, “I’m real happy for him. He won’t have to go through the grind anymore. He deserves it.”

As for Stall’s other Breeders’ Cup runner Saturday, J.B.’s Thunder, he said, “He didn’t run too well. We were disappointed in him. He had been training real well. So, we’ll regroup with him.”

Dell Hancock, sister of Claiborne Farm president Seth Hancock and frequent spokesperson for the farm, was at the Stall barn Sunday morning with co-owner Adele Dilschneider and had this to say about the Classic winner: “It was a clean-run race and both horses ran their races. I don’t think she [Zenyatta] ever passed Blame – not even in the gallop- out. She’s a wonderful mare and she’s been great for racing, but I think Blame is a very, very special horse, and I think the best horse won yesterday.

“I know Mike is blaming himself and that doesn’t surprise me. Every time he comes out to Keeneland, he comes out to see Lure [two-time winner of the Breeders’ Cup Mile with Smith aboard and retired at Claiborne]. He loves his horses and I know he loves that mare – like we love our horse. So he shouldn’t blame himself.

“When you line up, that’s the chance you take.”

Nick Zito (Fly Down, 3rd, Classic; Morning Line, 2nd, Dirt Mile; Cool Coal Man, 4th, Dirt Mile) – Nick Zito was in awe of the Breeders’ Cup Classic finish that saw Blame holding off a furious late bid by Zenyatta, but the Hall of Fame trainer thinks that it could well have been even more exciting had Fly Down not been put in tight by another horse on the backstretch.

“If he doesn’t do that, there may be three horses on the wire. Put it this way: he would have been closer anyway,” said Zito, whose Classic starter finished 3 ½ lengths behind Zenyatta, who was only a head short of catching Blame. “I’m glad as it turned out that he got up for third.”

Zito expects that Fly Down will be pointed toward the 2011 Dubai World Cup after talking with the colt’s owner Mataab bin Abdullah.

Although disappointed with the trip Fly Down received, he shared the racing world’s enthusiasm for the thrilling photo finish behind Blame and Zenyatta. Despite suffering defeat for the first time in her 20-race career, Zenyatta received rave reviews from Zito.

“People should realize that she is still a filly (mare) and that everything she did was miraculous. She’s going to go down as one of the all-time greats, if not the greatest,” he said. “I was thinking about this yesterday. I’ve been doing this since I was 16 years old. I’ve watched all the great fillies in my career, all of them. I was very excited as everyone else about Rachel Alexandra last year, and I saw Affectionately, Ta Wee, Shuvee and on and on and on. But there’s no question that she rates right up there. She could be the best of all time, in my opinion. I think she could be the greatest filly of all time.”

Zito was involved in yet another grueling photo finish of his own Saturday, when Morning Line was nosed out by Dakota Phone in the Dirt Mile.

“This is one of the most frustrating, trying years, but I have to be content and thankful. One of the reasons I’m really thankful is to be in these races and to have run and well as we’ve run in these races all year,” Zito said.

Neal McLaughlin (Etched, 6th, Classic; Soldat, 2nd, Juvenile Turf) – Neal McLaughlin, assistant trainer to brother Kiaran McLaughlin, reported that the stable’s Breeders’ Cup starters came out  of  their respective races in fine shape.

Etched faltered through the stretch after taking a brief lead coming off the final turn in the Breeders’ Cup Classic.

“The race worked out exactly how we thought – that he’d be stalking the pace and he’d hopefully make a move on the outside and go by them at the top of the stretch. There were just some awfully good ones behind him to close,” he said. “We would have loved to have finished higher. He gave us a thrill when he put his head in front at the top of the stretch – a lot of Kentucky Derby winners have won by taking the lead at the top of the stretch. But it was a good effort, but I think he’s better at a mile to a mile-and-an-eighth.”

Soldat looked like a winner in mid-stretch, before Pluck surged from far back to register a one-length victory.

“I actually think the horse thought he won,” he said. “He came through on the inside and opened up on those horses next to him and was running away from them, and then got swept by just a monster move by (Pluck). That was just an incredible turn of foot that horse showed. Our little guy never saw him, and by the time he knew he’d been passed the race was over.”

Although Soldat has excelled on turf, he is likely to get at least one more chance on dirt, over which he finished second twice at sprint distances before breaking his maiden on grass in the With Anticipation Stakes at Saratoga.

“We have to give it a look with the Triple Crown in mind. We have to make sure that he’s better on turf, and we’ll find that out in Florida,” McLaughlin said. “We’ll go down to Florida and maybe give dirt a try one time.”

Richard Mandella (Champ Pegasus, 2nd Turf) – Trainer Richard Mandella was staying in Kentucky for a few days, but his lone Breeders’ Cup starter – Diamond A Racing Corporation and Arturo Vargas’ Champ Pegasus – was airborne at 8 a.m. Sunday headed back to his Southern California home base.

The Fusaichi Pegasus 4yo set all the pace in Saturday’s $3 million Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Turf, then hung tough late to finish second to Dangerous Midge in the 1 ½ m test. He earned $540,000 for his efforts and the admiration of his connections.

“We were very pleased with his race,” Mandella said. “It was a terrific effort for him all things considered. Right now we’re not sure what’s going to be next for him. We’re going to take a few days and talk about it and see what we can come up with. For sure, we’re going to race him next year. You’ll see him again.”

The Hall of Fame conditioner was planning on taking in the Fasig-Tipton sale in Lexington tonight and then a day or two at the Keeneland Mixed Breeding Sale before heading back to California.

The trainer also had brought Spendthrift Farm’s Crown of Thorns from California to race in the $1 million Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile, but had to withdraw him prior to the race when an old knee problem flared up. The 5yo horse was to stay in Kentucky and have a small surgical procedure done before returning to training in California.

Champ Pegasus was Mandella’s 33rd Breeders’ Cup starter. He previously had won six Cup races.

Miguel Carraza,  assistant trainer for Jeff Bonde, (Smiling Tiger, 3rd Sprint) – Trainer Jeff Bonde’s assistant, Miguel Carraza, was holding down the fort at Barn 17 Sunday morning and had a good report on Alan Klein and Phil Lebhertz’s Smiling Tiger, who finished third in Saturday’s $2 million Sentient Jet Breeders’ Cup Sprint.

“He cooled out fine and ate up,” Carraza noted. “We all liked the way he ran. Those were very fast horses and he was right there with them (he was beaten a length and a half and a neck by 1-2 finishers Big Drama and Hamazing Destiny).”

Carraza wasn’t sure of future plans for the 3yo Hold That Tiger colt, but he did say he was booked on an 8 p.m. Sunday flight out of Louisville heading back to Southern California.

The start by Smiling Tiger, which earned him $198,000, was the first in the Breeders’ Cup for both his owners and his trainer. It was the fifth starter – and best finish – for America’s winningest jockey, Russell Baze.

Todd Pletcher (Quality Road, 12th , Classic, Uncle Mo, 1st, Juvenile; Pluck, 1st, Juvenile Turf; More Than Real, 1st, Juvenile Fillies Turf, R Heat Lighting 2nd , Juvenile Fillies, Allure d Amour, 13th , Juvenile Fillies Turf; Aikenite, 8th , Dirt Mile; Rose Catherine, 7th, Turf Sprint; :Life at Ten, DNF, Ladies Classic; Malibu Prayer, 10th, Ladies Classic; Stay Thirsty,  5th , Juvenile.

Todd Pletcher said that all 11 of his Breeders’ Cup horses were fine Sunday morning. He said that tests showed that Life At Ten, who did not finish the Ladies’ Classic Friday evening, experienced cramps and tied up. She has recovered.

Pletcher won three 2yo races, including the Juvenile, a victory that makes unbeaten Uncle Mo the favorite for the Kentucky Derby and probably clinched the Eclipse Award for 2yo males. Pletcher doubled his number of victories in the Breeders’ Cup and earned $2,580,000 in purses to jump from eighth- to third-place in the standings with $11,223,650.

“It feels good. We had a successful Breeders’ Cup,” Pletcher said. “You always wish you could have done better, I suppose, but any time you win a Breeders’ Cup race you should be thankful and grateful. To win three – they weren’t necessarily the three that we wanted, if we could pick three – was a good showing.”

One of the disappointments of the weekend was Quality Road, who was on the pace for a about a mile of the Classic under rider John Velazquez, but slowed in the second turn and finished last in the field of 12. Pletcher said the 4yo colt, who has been retired and will begin stud duties at Lane’s End next year, was OK Sunday morning.

“Johnny said he never, never gripped the track,” Pletcher said. “The one thing we kind of wanted to do was to get him off the rail at some point. We felt that if maybe there were any quirks about the track it was that maybe the inside path was the worst. He never was able to get out of that position with him and was always stuck down inside. Johnny said the track was cupping away from him and never could get going.”

Quality Road won eight of 13 starts, including four Grade 1’s. “He’s a brilliant horse, very, very gifted,” Pletcher said. “His resume shows how versatile he was to set track records at Saratoga 6 ½ (furlongs) and track records going a mile-and-an-eighth at Gulfstream. He was a very good horse.”

Blame won the Classic over Zenyatta and Pletcher said that finish should determine the Horse of the Year Award.

“For me, the deciding factor in any close calls is head-to-head matchups,” he said. “While I think Zenyatta ran an unbelievable race, had not only a tremendous year but a tremendous career, but ultimately it should be decided on the racetrack. But I don’t get a vote.”

Pletcher won the Kentucky Derby with Super Saver this year and Uncle Mo’s 4¼-length victory in the Juvenile gives him the early front-runner for the 2011 Derby. The last time the Breeders’ Cup was held at Churchill Downs in 2006, Street Sense won the Juvenile and returned to Louisville seven months later to win the Derby. Uncle Mo is owned by Michael Repole.

“Two-year-olds are the future and it’s exciting to go to Florida for the winter with what you would certainly think is the champion 2-year-old,” Pletcher said. “To have to him run so well on this racetrack is exciting.”

Pletcher said that Uncle Mo will likely ship to the Palm Meadows training center in Florida sometime this week.

“The rest of the year he’ll be in very light training,” Pletcher said. “I’ve just had a brief discussion and haven’t firmed anything up.  My thought would be that he would probably have two races leading into the Derby if things go according to plan.”

Since Repole is from New York, Pletcher said the route to the Derby may lead through the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct.  Pletcher said that if he had his choice, he would bring the colt back in a one-turn mile next year, but that no plans are in place.

Pletcher smiled at a question about whether Uncle Mo surprised him in the Juvenile.

“He exceeded even my expectations, which were pretty high,” Pletcher said. “Somebody told me last night he ran a 108 Beyer figure. That’s pretty impressive stuff for a young horse. I was optimistic going in and after the race I thought that was a pretty special performance.”

Pletcher said that a closer look at Uncle Mo’s record will show he had a spectacular season.

“I would say that his 2-year-old year was as good as any 2-year-old has ever had,” he said. “I’m sure someone has started more times and won more races, but I couldn’t imagine a 2-year-old being any more impressive than he’s been in three starts. Pretty impressive.”

Malibu Prayer is being retired by owner Edward Evans, but Pletcher said the other nine may continue racing and most will spend the winter in Florida.

Pletcher said that blood tests on Life At Ten confirmed high muscle enzyme levels and that the filly probably was suffering from cramps on Friday.

“I think the owners are going to let the dust settle and make a decision whether they’re going to race her again,” he said. “The potential is there that she will race next year. She was withdrawn from the sale today and we’re going to monitor her blood work. Right now she’s going to stay here until we know what she’s going to do.”

Pletcher said he has not spoken with Barry Irwin, but expects that Juvenile Turf winner Pluck will have some time off in Florida before racing next year. Pluck delivered a powerful performance despite a troubled trip that began when he stumbled out of the gate.

“I need to watch the replay again to fully appreciate it, but the stumble itself would have been a legitimate excuse if he had gotten beat,” Pletcher said. “After that he maneuvered around the fallen rider, it looked like he was sort of in a hopeless position at the five-eighths pole and delivered a huge kick.”

Pletcher said he may try Pluck on dirt or synthetics at some point, but that he has proven his ability on turf.

Bobby Flay’s Juvenile Fillies Turf winner More Than Real is headed to Florida.

“The plan for her right now is for her to go to Palm Meadows and look to start back up some time in Gulfstream,” Pletcher said.

Juvenile Fillies runner-up R Heat Lightning is going to Palm Meadows to be prepared for her 3yo season. She was beaten in the Juvenile Fillies by Awesome Feather.

“I thought she ran huge,” Pletcher said. “She has a lot of courage. She’s a very determined, hard-trying filly that dug in and gave everything she had. She ran a big race. Unfortunately for us, one filly ran better.”

Pletcher said that Stay Thirsty, fifth in the Juvenile, would head to Florida, too.

“I thought he ran OK,” Pletcher said. “The last eighth of a mile he came up a little empty. That will be his last run of the year. We’ll look to freshen him up a bit and go from there.”

Rose Catherine is due for a vacation in Ocala after fnishing seventh in the Turf Sprint.

“She ran OK. She didn’t get beat far,” Pletcher said.  “For whatever reason, she had a little trouble negotiating the turn. I’m not 100 percent sure what was going on with the turf course, but a couple of the riders commented to me that horses were slipping on it. She seemed to have trouble negotiating the turn and it kind of cost her critical position, of keeping herself in a position of where when she turned for home, she still had a chance to win.”

Pletcher said that he had yet to talk with Cot Campbell of Dogwood Stable, but expects Aikenite is headed to Dogwood’s base in Aiken, South Carolina for the winter. Aikenite was eighth in the Dirt Mile.

“I thought he ran pretty well,” Pletcher said. “He’s a horse that seems to be more confident when he gets to the outside and in the clear. Unfortunately, from the three-post he kind of got stuck down in there. But I thought he ran a respectable race, dug in and tried hard; kind of like Rose Catherine, didn’t get beat far, but an incredible effort with no reward.”

Allure d’Amour is headed to Florida after finishing 13th in the Juvenile Fillies Turf.

“She veered out down the backside and cost herself a position and faltered from there,” Pletcher said. “We think she has the potential to be a nice filly. We’ll get back on track probably in an allowance race at Gulfstream.”

Report to moderator   Logged
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »

David Fawkes (Big Drama, 1st, Sprint) - Big Drama, winner of the $2 million Sentient Jet Breeders’ Cup Sprint on Saturday is the opposite of his name. He calmly took all the excitement of the Zenyatta-crazed crowd, and was unfazed with his win back at the barn. He cooled out well and then cleaned up his feed tub last night, even licking it clean.

Trainer David Fawkes’ assistant, Don Stetler, said that this was typical of Big Drama.

“Nothing bothers him,” Stetler said. “He came back and couldn’t blow out a match afterward. The only time he’s had a problem was last year at the Preakness, and that was a bad time for him because we took the blinkers off him for the first time.”

Fawkes was pleased with Big Drama, and good-naturedly took some razzing in the stable area over his previous displeasure at drawing the one-hole for Big Drama.

“It’s fun when you make plans and they all work out, like working him with another horse in his last two works,” Fawkes said.

Fawkes has big plans for Big Drama.

“The owner, Harold Queen, is great, because he’s been around horses and he gets it,” Fawkes said. “He broke Big Drama. Right now, there isn’t much out there for him. I might go to Gulfstream, and I’m thinking of going to Dubai with him, too. We’ll just have to see.”

Fawkes was disappointed for Zenyatta.

“She ran a winning race, but she had too much to do,” he said. “This track was so fast yesterday, too. I wanted it fast for him, and deep for her, and you can’t have both.”

Tom Proctor (Keertana, 3rd, Filly & Mare Turf; Banned, 5th, Juvenile Turf) – Trainer Tom Proctor, never one to hold back, found nothing good to report about his two runners in Breeders’ Cup championship races.

“I’m not happy about any of it,” the irascible Proctor said. When reminded that Keertana was a solid third in the Filly & Mare Turf, he shot back, “That’s not first and that’s what I was looking for. I was looking for the $100,000 [his trainer’s portion of the purse of the $2 million purse].”

Keertana was a mere two necks from being the winner, behind Shared Account and Midday.

Dennis “Peaches” Geier assistant to trainer Bret Calhoun (Chamberlain Bridge, 1st, Turf Sprint; Dubai Majesty, 1st Filly & Mare Sprint) – Trainer Bret Calhoun left to go to Lexington for the Fasig-Tipton November and Keeneland November sales, where he is busy looking at weanlings and racemares, and watching his Sentient Jet Filly & Mare Sprint winner Dubai Majesty sell on Sunday, consigned by Taylor Made Sales Agency.

Dubai Majesty parlayed her win in the Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes into memorable back-to-back stakes wins by taking the Filly & Mare Sprint from a stalking position to win by 2 ¼ lengths under jockey Jamie Theriot on Friday.

“‘Dubai’ came out well, and shipped to Lexington early this morning (Sunday),” said Geier. “She sells tonight at Fasig-Tipton (as hip #47).” Geier said that the weekend had been “very exciting,” and everyone was doing well the following morning.

Calhoun finished the weekend with a two-for-three record in the Breeders’ Cup, having finished 11th with Mr. Nightlinger in the 2008 Turf Sprint, also with Theriot. Dubai Majesty gave both Theriot and Calhoun their first Breeders’ Cup wins, which were followed on Saturday with their second wins, when Chamberlain Bridge won the Turf Sprint.

The 6yo gelding was making his 31st start, with 16 wins, 4 seconds, and 6 thirds for earnings of $1,585,245.  “Chamberlain came out good, cooled out well, and is doing fine,” Geier said.

Plans for Chamberlain Bridge are undecided at this point, but Calhoun will go to his winter base at Fair Grounds after the Churchill Downs meeting.

Jerry Hollendorfer (Blind Luck, 2nd Ladies’ Classic; Dakota Phone, 1st, Dirt Mile; Indian Gracey, scratched out of Juvenile Fillies) – Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer was in better spirits Saturday morning than he had been the previous night when likely 3yo champion filly Blind Luck finished second in the Ladies’ Classic after being left with too much ground to make up. The filly came out of the race well, and was happy and sound, which the trainer said was the most important thing.

“She’s always been so sound, and I’ve found that my best horses were ones that I’ve never had to touch their joints,” he said, recalling Hystericalady, King Glorious, and Heatseeker in that category, and putting Blind Luck right there with them.

Dakota Phone validated Hollendorfer’s faith in him with a strong closing move that propelled him into the Dirt Mile winner’s circle on Saturday. He left early Sunday morning on a flight back to California with Blind Luck, and Jim Cassidy’s horses, which were in the same barn at Churchill.

Indian Gracey, who was scratched out of the Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies after Hollendorfer found her right front foot to be hot, shipped back to California after spending Thursday and Friday soaking her sore foot in hot water and Epsom salts.

Graham Motion (Shared Account, 1st, Filly & Mare Turf; Million Seller, 12th, Marathon) – Trainer Graham Motion felt a huge rush of emotion when Shared Account scored a 46-1 upset over defending champion Midday in Friday’s Emirates Airline Filly & Mare Turf.

“I’m an emotional person anyway. But it’s particularly emotional when you set a goal to win a particular race a year before and you’re able to achieve it,” said Motion from Fair Hill Training Center in Maryland Sunday morning. “It’s also the history of the Breeders’ Cup. These races will define trainers’ careers.”

Motion was particularly happy that Edgar Prado was aboard Shared Account for her neck decision over Midday.

“Right after the race, the first thing Edgar said to me was, ‘Thanks for believing in me,’” said Motion, noting that the Hall of Fame rider’s business has fallen off recently. “Edgar and I go back a long way. I’d do anything I can to help him get back on the big stage where he belongs. We have a long history. He’s been a great rider, and he still is a great rider.”

Motion said he was very surprised that Shared Account was sent to post at 46-1.

“I was shocked at the price. I didn’t understand how she could be written off due to one bad race and when she lost by only a head to Proviso in her previous race,” he said.

Motion, who reported that both Shared Account and Million Seller took their respective efforts “in stride,” is hoping his Filly & Mare champion will return to action next year.

“There’s been talk of it. Initial talks indicate she’ll be back next year,” said Motion.

Stanley Gold (Awesome Feather, 1st, Juvenile Fillies) – With Awesome Feather scheduled to go into the sales ring at the Fasig-Tipton November Sale at Keeneland Sunday, trainer Stanley Gold prepared for a flight back to South Florida Saturday morning.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen: who’s going to be interested in her and how much they’re willing to spend on her. I don’t know the reserve they put on her,” said Gold, whose undefeated trainee scored by more than two lengths in Friday’s Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies. “If I was given a choice, I’d like to put her on a van and put her back in her stall at Calder and prepare her for Gulfstream.”

Whoever will train Awesome Feather next year will be most fortunate, said Gold.

“They’ll be getting a horse who beat all the top 2-year-old fillies and who’ll probably get an Eclipse Award,” he said.

Diane Alvarado (Eldaafer, 1st, Marathon) – Trainer Diane Alvarado was still excited Sunday morning after the star of her eight-horse stable, Eldaafer, won the $500,000 Breeders’ Cup Marathon on Friday. He came out of the race well, ate up, and will leave on a van at 2 p.m. to go to Red Oak Farm, in Ocala, Florida, for two weeks of rest before joining Alvarado at Gulfstream Park.

Alvarado will head back to Delaware Park later on Sunday to pack up her tack and horses and head to Ocala to give them all a break before going to Gulfstream. Eldaafer will be turned out for about two hours a day at the farm.

“He deserves it,” she said. “I’ve raised the bar on him for each race, and he’s given me everything, so he deserves it. He cooled out and didn’t miss a beat yesterday (Saturday). We’ll gear up for next year at Gulfstream, aim for the Brooklyn (Handicap) again next year, and then take baby steps to get back to here (the Breeders’ Cup).”

Alvarado herself was reminded of how much Eldaafer had accomplished when she ran 6yo gelding Just Like Biscuit in a $5,000 claiming race on Saturday, and he finished second.

“I went from one extreme to the other in 24 hours,” she said with a laugh.

She was in awe of Zenyatta’s race on Saturday and said that she was crying afterward.

“My family came down from Chicago, and couldn’t understand why I was crying. I told them, ‘When you run your heart out like that, you deserve to win.’ They said, ‘Well what are you so upset about? You WON a Breeders’ Cup race!’ and I said, ‘Oh, yeah’!”

Alvarado was overwhelmed by the phone calls and texts she received and said her phone froze up. She gallops her horses herself, so she said she doesn’t want too many new owners calling.

“Fifteen would be a good number. I want to still be able to ride them, and manage them.”

Before leaving for Delaware Park, Alvarado is shopping for a Breeders’ Cup souvenir to put on Eldaafer’s goat, who travels with him.

Jimmy Toner (Winter Memories, 2nd , Juvenile Fillies Turf) The daughter of Memories of Silver came out of her race in good shape, will ship back to New York on Sunday and get the winter off, trainer Jimmy Toner said.

Winter Memories, the odds-on favorite, finished second to Bobby Flay’s More Than Real in the 1m grass race.

“She ran well,” Toner said. “I had to take her out of her game a little bit by putting her into the race a little bit sooner than we like to. I didn’t think I could come from way back to beat the filly that beat us. The horse that won the race is a legitimate winner. Trying to stay close to her might have taken away from our game, but I didn’t think we could from that far back to catch her.

“I did think she was the horse to beat. I’ve trained for Bobby and I know they loved that filly and that filly actually ran a pretty good race at Saratoga. I don’t know why, just because she ran second the last time, she was such a price.”

John Sadler (Hurricane Ike, 9th Mile; Sidney’s Candy, 6th Mile; Switch, 2nd Filly & Mare Sprint; Tell a Kelly, 7th  Juvenile Fillies) – Trainer John Sadler was at Louisville International Airport Sunday morning awaiting his flight back to his Southern California base. Three of his Breeders’ Cup horses – Sidney’s Candy, Switch and Tell a Kelly – already were airborne heading to the trainer’s barn at Hollywood Park.

The other Sadler starter – Ike and Dawn Thrash’s Hurricane Ike – had been vanned to Keeneland for a one-night stopover before heading southeast to a farm in Ocala, Florida.

“He’s going to get a 45-day vacation there,” Sadler said of his 3yo son of Graeme Hall who had finished 9th in the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile after racing on the pace into the stretch in the one-turn test.

“I don’t think he got the best of trips,” Sadler said. “He was up front pushing it in a four-way spread and I wanted to see him back in a stalking position. But that’s how it goes sometimes. After his holiday we’ll work up a plan for him.”

Sadler’s other three runners were on the first Tex Sutton charter flight out of Louisville en route to Los Angeles.

Sidney’s Candy, a 3yo by Candy Ride owned by Jenny Craig, finished sixth in the TVG Breeders’ Cup Mile after racing on the lead until the final sixteenth and finishing three lengths behind the three-time Mile winner Goldikova.

“I don’t think he liked the turf course at all,” the trainer said. “I think it was too sticky for him.”

Switch finished willingly in the Sentient Jet Filly & Mare Sprint to get up for second and earn C R K Stable $180,000.

“Her race was excellent,” Sadler noted. “We were very proud of her. She’s a good filly and we’re excited to think about additional races for her.”

Tell a Kelly, a Pulpit juvenile also owned by the Thrashes, finished in seventh in the Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies after failing to make an impact.

“I don’t think she cared for the track,” Sadler offered. “We’ll take her back home and go from there.”

Sadler’s four starters now give him a total of 23 in the Breeders’ Cup and Switch’s second-place finish was his best result yet.

Rick Dutrow (Boys At Tosconova, 2nd, Juvenile; Acting Happy, 6th, Ladies’ Classic, Believe in A.P., 4th, Juvenile Fillies; Court Vision, 5th, Mile; Deciphering Dreams, 11th, Juvenile Turf; Stradivinsky, 13th, Turf Sprint) – Early indications are that trainer Rick Dutrow’s Breeders’ Cup participants came out of their respective races in good order.

“It looks like it right now, but I haven’t breezed them yet, so I won’t really know until they do,” Dutrow said.

Boys At Tosconova was the standout performer of the New York-based trainer’s contingent, finishing second behind the undefeated Uncle Mo in Saturday’s Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile.

“I was happy with the performance, but I wasn’t happy with the outcome,” Dutrow said. “I can’t complain about our horse. I have to give Todd (Pletcher) and his horse all the credit in the world. I was hoping he wasn’t really that good.”

D. Wayne Lukas (Hamazing Destiny, 2nd, Sprint; Mine That Bird, 10th, Dirt Mile) – “I was confident my sprinter [Hamazing Destiny] could win his race,” Lukas said. “But he got away a little slow and I think that kept him from winning. He had had a great month of training and I was very confident.”

On the other, Lukas indicated no surprise at the sluggish performance of Mine That Bird, who was never any better than his finish in the Dirt Mile.

“He was physically fit for the race, but not mentally. He’s like an athlete who has lost has fire for the game. He doesn’t seem to want to go over there [to race] anymore.

“He’ll be going back to his owners in New Mexico and they’ll do some re-evaluating.”

In another matter, when queried about the impact of the Breeders’ Cup Championships at Churchill Downs, the Hall of Fame trainer said, “The most significant sign was provided by victories by new, young people getting into the business. I’m thinking of Bobby Flay [More Than Real in the Juvenile Fillies Turf] and Kevin Plank of Under Armor fame [and Sagamore Farm with Shared Account in the Filly & Mare Turf].”

James Cassidy (The Usual Q.T., 3rd, Mile; Evening Jewel, 3rd, Filly & Mare Sprint) – “Both of my horses ran their guts out,” said trainer Jim Cassidy about The Usual Q.T. and Evening Jewel.

In her Friday dash in the Sentient Jet Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint, Evening Jewel, Cassidy said, broke a little slow but finished strong.

“She might have been second if she had gotten off a little better,” he added.

“The Usual Q.T. was a little rank early,” Cassidy said of his race in the $2 million TVG Breeders’ Cup Mile against three-time winner Goldikova. “When there’s speed on his outside, he gets very competitive.”

The California-bred gelded son of Unusual Heat broke from post position 7, and the horses to his immediate outside, Get Stormy and Sidney’s Candy, went roaring out to the lead with The Usual Q.T. in hot pursuit.

He eventually settled and came strongly at the end to be only a neck short of Gio Ponti for second.

Cassidy put both of his runners on an airplane headed back to his Southern California base.

Trainer Tony Dutrow (Havre de Grace, 3rd, Ladies’ Classic; Joyful Victory, 5th, Juvenile Fillies; Rightly So, scratched from Filly & Mare Sprint) – Trainer Tony Dutrow has left Churchill Downs and is at Parx Racing (formerly Philadelphia Park) on Sunday. Likewise, his three fillies shipped out on Saturday.

He still seemed bewildered by the scratch of Rightly So, the morning-line favorite in the Sentient Jet Filly & Mare Sprint, on Friday by the Breeders’ Cup veterinary team, who did not like the way she was moving.

“She’s fine, she’s okay, and she’s been sent to Fasig-Tipton,” he said. The Ballerina Stakes winner was vanned to Lexington Saturday morning and will sell as hip #149 Sunday night at the Newtown Paddocks in Lexington by consignor Eaton Sales.

Also taken to Lexington were Havre de Grace, third in the Ladies’ Classic, and Joyful Victory, fifth in the Juvenile Fillies. Both fillies came out of their respective races well.

“(They) will get some downtime at Vinery in Lexington,” Dutrow said. “I’m not sure how long (they) will stay there. We’ll get together and see what the 2011 campaign will be like.”

Ronny Werner (Central City, 2nd, Turf Sprint; Soundwave, 11th, Juvenile Turf; Secret Gypsy, 11th, F&M Sprint) – “He could go back (and race) today,” an expansive trainer Ronny Werner said Sunday morning about Central City, his runner-up in Saturday’s Turf Sprint that went to Chamberlain Bridge.

“He’s breathing fire today,” the trainer continued. “He ran his race; a big race. He’s been getting better ever since his throat surgery a few months ago.” He explained that the successful surgery opened up his airway so that his breathing improved.

The trainer was less happy about his other two runners. He did say that Secret Gypsy came out of her race in good order, but that Soundwave is favoring soreness in her right foreleg. “We’re trying to find out what’s going on with her,” he said.

jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 02:13:27 PM »

European Team Go Their Separate Ways Home

Wertheimer et Frere’s 6yo mare Goldikova, who won an unprecedented third edition of the $ 2 million TVG Breeders’ Cup Mile for trainer Freddie Head, and H.H. The Aga Khan’s 3yo Behkabad, third as the favorite in the $3 million Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Turf for trainer Jean-Claude Rouget, will be returned to France on a cargo flight leaving Chicago on Monday afternoon with the connections of both not yet announcing future plans for the stars, according to Alastair Donald, Managing Director of the International Racing Bureau.

The IRB also reports that Juddmonte Farms’ 4yo English homebred filly Midday, beaten a neck the defending champion and 9-to-10 favorite in the $2 million Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Turf for trainer Henry Cecil, and Juddmonte’s 3yo Workforce, scratched from the Turf by trainer Michael Stoute on Saturday morning, are prominent among the English-trained team returning home on flight leaving Chicago Tuesday.

That flight bound for London Tuesday also will carry Iraj Parvisi’s 4yo colt Dangerous Midge, winner of the Turf at odds of better than 8-to-1 for trainer Brian Meehan. Options being considered for the Kentucky-bred by Lion Heart include the Japan Cup on Nov. 28 or getting time off before being pointed for the Dubai Sheema Classic on Dubai World Cup Day on March 26, 2011.

H.R.H. Princess Haya of Jordan’s 4yo Irish-bred colt Debussy, winner of the Arlington Million this summer for trainer John Gosden and fifth in the Turf, also will be aboard the English flight Tuesday and will be pointed the Dubai World Cup. Another star on this flight will be The Calvera Partnership’s 5yo Irish-bred Paco Boy, fourth behind Goldikova in the Mile for trainer Richard Hannon with no future plans confirmed as yet.

The four Coolmore team runners trained by Aidan O’Brien return to Ireland on another cargo flight originating in Chicago Sunday (this evening). Their best finish came from 2yo filly Together in the Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies.

A private charter by Godolphin leaves Chicago Wednesday bound first for England with the horses trained by Saeed bin Suroor and Mahmood Al Zaroni, the latter sending out 2yo Biondetti to finish fourth behind Uncle Mo in the Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile.  Godolphin’s 5yo Gayego produced the best result for the stable finishing third behind longshot Dakota Phone in the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile.

#####
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: