Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 22, 2014, 04:51:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOY  (Read 4131 times)
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 08:49:52 AM »

Ron Ellis said after the race  Zenyatta misjudged the wire.
He was being dead serious.
She was looking for a gas station, her tank was empty when she got to Blame.Was never going to pass him!
Report to moderator   Logged

I trust no one, not even myself~~
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 09:07:39 AM »

She was going to pass him easily, she was the best horse in the race, and she was pinched a bit at the start which cost her a length or so.
Horse Voice

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 10:31:25 AM »

She was going to pass him easily

You need to watch a replay, motto -- Zenyatta was all done.

She never went past Blame, not even on the run out. She couldn't possibly be the best horse in the race if she a)didn't pass the winner, *AND* b) was empty.

Now -- if she was full of run after a troubled trip -- yeah, she could lose by a nose and be considered "best" in the race, but unlucky.

Zenyatta had Blame lined up, ran virtually side by side with him for the last 50 yards...and couldn't go by. A game effort, all class, gave it everything she had...sure. Just not "best" -- that is reserved for the FIRST horse to ever fend off Zenyatta's patented late charge. Think about that. 
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »

Just not "best" -- that is reserved for the FIRST horse to ever fend off Zenyatta's patented late charge. Think about that. 

Wow - I didn't even think of that.

How can one not be HOY when he just defeated perfection?

But, I'll tell you, I don't really think my heart is going to be in this HOY debate this year. AS IF our prattling about it here on the forum makes one lick of difference to the actual vote anyhow. It's like there's been a huge crushing weight lifted off the forum today. HOY can only be a consolation prize as far as Z is concerned. Like Mel always says, excuses are an admission of failure.

Next.
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 10:42:44 AM »

You need to watch a replay, motto -- Zenyatta was all done.

She never went past Blame, not even on the run out. She couldn't possibly be the best horse in the race if she a)didn't pass the winner, *AND* b) was empty.

Now -- if she was full of run after a troubled trip -- yeah, she could lose by a nose and be considered "best" in the race, but unlucky.

Zenyatta had Blame lined up, ran virtually side by side with him for the last 50 yards...and couldn't go by. A game effort, all class, gave it everything she had...sure. Just not "best" -- that is reserved for the FIRST horse to ever fend off Zenyatta's patented late charge. Think about that. 
the team of garrett gomez, albert stall jr., and blame  were simply better then the team of mike smith, john sherrifs, and zenyatta. theres a million things to go wrong during and leading up to a horse race. one thing to go right. winning. blame's team were the better team on the day. its that simple.
MVT

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 10:51:46 AM »

Zenyatta is the better horse and would probably beat Blame 4/5 times.

However Blame is HOY.
Horse Voice

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »

the team of garrett gomez, albert stall jr., and blame  were simply better then the team of mike smith, john sherrifs, and zenyatta. theres a million things to go wrong during and leading up to a horse race. one thing to go right. winning. blame's team were the better team on the day. its that simple.

Correct.

I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Zenyatta had been prepared a little differently -- like maybe run some more races on DIRT, so she could get used to having stuff hit her in the face.

I don't blame the mare. I never have. My premise has always been that the connections have babied her too much: yes, it's THEIR horse...but if they want HOY, they won't get it by hiding in Southern California almost all year.

The way she took herself out of the race early, then wouldn't get right back in the bridle -- clearly a surprised and not-too-happy racehorse. (How much did she lose by, again? Ahem.)
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 11:56:31 AM »

Correct.

I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Zenyatta had been prepared a little differently -- like maybe run some more races on DIRT, so she could get used to having stuff hit her in the face.

Some must have hit her in the face at Oaklawn, but she didn't seem to have a problem there.

I don't blame the mare. I never have. My premise has always been that the connections have babied her too much: yes, it's THEIR horse...but if they want HOY, they won't get it by hiding in Southern California almost all year.

That's pretty much what I said at the beginning of the year - If they're going to campaign her like they did last year, hiding her in all the restricted races in So Cal, they risk losing HOY once again. They were gambling on the one big score again, and came up short.

Now the myth of the invincible goddess is shattered, the horse that merely toys with her opponents, and always knows where the line is, and only runs as fast as she has to, and how can you argue with perfection, etc etc on the myth meter, and we're left with the truth of the matter: She's a horse just like any other horse and needs a perfect trip to beat the best horses in a tough race. The voters are going to have to stare that full in the face.
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 11:59:13 AM »

http://www.themorningsun.com/articles/2010/11/07/sports/doc4cd6ba408b5a0164710607.txt?viewmode=3

At the back of the pack, Smith was coaxing Zenyatta to start making up ground. But it was a struggle. She was getting hit in the face with clods of dirt, something that doesn’t happen on a synthetic track.

“She wasn’t used to it,” he said. “Although she’s run on dirt twice, they were really short fields and really never got nothing in her face before.”
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 12:01:44 PM »

Correct.

The way she took herself out of the race early, then wouldn't get right back in the bridle -- clearly a surprised and not-too-happy racehorse. (How much did she lose by, again? Ahem.)
wether you agree or not with her campaign, you got to give credit to sheriffs for sending her out fit ready and happy every time thru 4 and a half years of training. thats an eternity in horseracing. unbelievably hard to do. it takes a special horse but the job he did with her was unbelievable. so many more problems for him with  her just being a female. one of the great training jobs in horseracing history.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2010, 12:02:26 PM »

http://www.themorningsun.com/articles/2010/11/07/sports/doc4cd6ba408b5a0164710607.txt?viewmode=3

At the back of the pack, Smith was coaxing Zenyatta to start making up ground. But it was a struggle. She was getting hit in the face with clods of dirt, something that doesn’t happen on a synthetic track.

“She wasn’t used to it,” he said. “Although she’s run on dirt twice, they were really short fields and really never got nothing in her face before.”

Interesting the things that can happen when you run against big fields on dirt. Dirt in the face, traffic trouble, a surface that carries speed just a wee bit further ...
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 12:04:29 PM »

wether you agree or not with her campaign, you got to give credit to sheriffs for sending her out fit ready and happy every time thru 4 and a half years of training. thats an eternity in horseracing. unbelievably hard to do. it takes a special horse but the job he did with her was unbelievable. so many more problems for him with  her just being a female. one of the great training jobs in horseracing history.

Without a doubt. Not that many horses can stay cooped up in a little track stall for that many months and come out and fire every time.
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 12:06:36 PM »

Interesting the things that can happen when you run against big fields on dirt. Dirt in the face, traffic trouble, a surface that carries speed just a wee bit further ...

The dangers of leaving the protective bubble.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2010, 12:17:54 PM »

The dangers of leaving the protective bubble.

I don't really even understand why we're clogging the forum up with this debate. The Mosses don't care about awards.
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2010, 12:25:06 PM »

You're right.... I'm guilty as charged
pari mutual

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »

Blame?

Goldikova?

Zenyatta?

I say after today I would take Zen, what kind of heart did she show today?   A case could be made for Blame and Goldikova but after todays race, Zenyatta is my number one. 

It appears no one thinks Goldikova is viable HOY candidate?  Thought HOY was best "performance" by a horse, not just a horse in an BC classic? Think she deserves more than Z based on quality of competition throughout the year.
Horse Voice

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 12:42:09 PM »

Oh, agree 100%. I should have mentioned this.

I don't agree or disagree with Zenyatta's campaign, per se. Not my horse. I might be inclined to stay home where things are safe, and collect big checks -- in fact, I'm sure I would.

You can't do that and then insist that you are also HOY, though -- esp. when others have competed and WON more prestigious races. That's all I'm saying. That's pretty much all I've ever said about this, in fact. If Zenyatta was MY horse? Screw the BC, screw Churchill, screw dirt racing, and the hell with the boys -- gimme the green stuff, as much as I can get. They want to pay me 60% of $500K every time I dust a bunch of second-stringers, I'm taking it.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2010, 01:12:17 PM »

It appears no one thinks Goldikova is viable HOY candidate?  Thought HOY was best "performance" by a horse, not just a horse in an BC classic? Think she deserves more than Z based on quality of competition throughout the year.

I think she is, but it isn't very realistic to expect she will win with just the one race in the U.S.

She'll get some votes, I expect.
Cablacinasian

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2010, 02:43:21 PM »

Blame?  thumbs up

Goldikova?  thumbs up

Zenyatta?  thumbs down

sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2010, 03:57:20 PM »

horse
I couldnt agree more Swoop!
Alpha Mare
Global Moderator

OYE VEY!!!!

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »

Two of the guys who do a racing show here on the OTB channel on Sunday mornings gave their HOTY votes......they are both pros and get to vote....one said Blame because HOTY this time came down to BCup and he beat the undefeated one and the other guy said Zen because she was brilliant in defeat and he is sentimental towards her....so yes, emotions are going to come into play big time!

Absolutely amazing.......s.m.h.....
Darin Z.

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2010, 11:39:55 PM »

Blame wins horse of the year, and deservingly so.

Zenyatta's ears were pricked up at the wire.  I honestly believe that she had more to give, and that she runs as fast as she thinks she has to.  The problem is she never had to run by a horse of the quality of Blame before.  She put in the same run as always, because thats how she wins.  Her ears being pricked forward doesn't mean she misjudged the wire, it means she was having fun out there, and had a lot left in the tank.  This time her usual run wasn't enough to pass the best horse she ever had to pass late in the stretch, but I think there was plenty more left in the tank.
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »

Why do people blame the connections for nonsense things like she isn't used to dirt hitting her in the face and they should have raced her more on dirt to get used to it.....First off for the first 3/8 she wasn't close enough to anybody to get hit by anything and secondly ask any jockey in America and the kickback from a polytrack is way worse and stings way more then the kickback from a dirt track.....The best horse loses alot.....Today out of 100 T'Bred races or so the best horse will lose 20 times.......maybe more.......Not sure why anybody is surprised the best horse lost in this case.......Blame is the HOTY......Hands Down......He won it on the track in the race of the year
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:32:21 AM by HarnessFanDE » Report to moderator   Logged

SHOWTIME!!!
Horse Voice

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2010, 11:48:25 AM »

Why do people blame the connections for nonsense things like she isn't used to dirt hitting her in the face and they should have raced her more on dirt to get used to it.....First off for the first 3/8 she wasn't close enough to anybody to get hit by anything and secondly ask any jockey in America and the kickback from a polytrack is way worse and stings way more then the kickback from a dirt track

Maybe you should stick to harness, HarnessFan -- you have it just the opposite: the kickback on DIRT can be much worse, depending on the track. Hardly any kickback at all on the fake stuff.

As far as your "secondly", let's not ask just any jockey in America -- let's hear what *Zenyatta's* jockey had to say after the race:

(From the post-race interview with Eric Wing of NTRA:)

Q.  Mike, do you attribute tonight's loss to partly the dirt track and the fact the dirt was hitting in her face and she was very uncomfortable for maybe the first half mile?
   MIKE SMITH:  You know, it was just hitting in her face.  She wasn't used to it.  Although she's run on dirt twice, they were really short fields and really never got nothing in her face before.  It was coming back ‑‑ you can tell by my goggles, I went through all six.  I mean, it was certainly coming back.
   It just took her a while to get used to it.  Like I said, maybe I should have done a few things differently.  I wish I ‑‑ if I had to do it all over again, I would have, you know.

thearmada

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2010, 01:36:42 PM »

I have followed this forum for about 3 months or so. This is my first post. From what I have read here and everywhere is that racing is struggling and it needs to get back in the mainstream. Zenyatta did that for many. I have 5 roommates and they give me a hard time about racing etc., but while I was watching the race at and OTB I told them to watch the race on ESPN, they did and they said they were screaming and loving just like I was. If people get into racing from a horse like Zenyatta, I would call her horse of the year for what she did to the industry and creating new fans.

From the statistical point of view, Blame had a great year going 4 for 5 on the year winning 3 grade 1's. I might say thats a little short for the number of times he raced, but the competition he did beat was great and he did it multiple times.

With that being said I feel Zenyatta should get it. If you can bring the crowds and captivate audiences like she did, she is a champion in my eyes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: