Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 06:35:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeders' Cup Classic quotes  (Read 375 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: November 06, 2010, 07:01:21 PM »

Breeders’ Cup World Championships

Quotes for the
$5 Million Breeders’ Cup Classic (Grade I)

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Al Stall Jr. (trainer, Blame, 1st) – “What can you say? Everything went our way. A clean break, nice pace, made the lead, waited a little bit, held her off, and galloped off in front of her. We’ve seen that kind of performance before. He is a very consistent horse. It’s obvious I’ve never had one at this level, not many people have had a horse at this level. It’s rarified air. We’re just glad to be here.

“I rode this race to the eighth-pole in my mind plenty of times, and I left it at that. When I saw her (Zenyatta) coming, I had a sneaking suspicion that he (Blame) was waiting a little bit like he does. It got hairy there at the end, but I’m sure they could have gone like that another eighth or whatever had to be done. He definitely galloped out in front, and that’s him. He’s a smart horse. He knows what his job is, and he does it very well. The owners are wonderful people; top of the line, and they deserve it.”

Garrett Gomez (jockey, Blame, 1st) – “I had an absolutely beautiful trip. He traveled well. He was always traveling good. I followed Lookin At Lucky and another horse going into the turn. I followed them all the way to the top of the stretch. I pointed him in between a little gap that I had, and when I did he just jumped up into the bridle and took me to them. He really had his game face on today. I was just trying to hold the wonder horse (Zenyatta) off and give her her first defeat.

“I really do have mixed emotions about that. She’s been an ambassador for racing. We had a lot of people out here supporting her. She’s been great for thoroughbred racing; for fans who didn’t know anything about racing. She was going for 20-for-20 and she came up a head short. I’m glad I was able to give her the defeat, but at the same time I wish she could have gone out 20-for-20 at the expense of somebody else. Like I said, she’s been nothing but wonderful for horse racing. For me, this is the best win I’ve ever had.”

John Shirreffs (trainer, Zenyatta, 2nd) – “We’re so happy with what Zenyatta has done. She ran her heart out today. She ran her race and congratulations to Blame. I’m just so proud of her; and congratulations to Blame. (The fans) were behind her win or lose and I think she represented them really well. She ran an excellent race.”

Mike Smith (jockey, Zenyatta, 2nd) – “I feel like I let her down. I left her too much to do. I had to put on the brakes at the quarter pole when Quality Road started backing up. I think that cost me the race. In the beginning, she struggled with the track. She didn’t like all that dirt flying at her. I needed a little better position for her early. I just know she was the best horse in the race. It was another gallant effort for her.”

Nick Zito (trainer, Fly Down, 3rd) – “(Jockey) Rajiv Maragh (on Musket Man) came right over on me early and we had to check; you heard (track announcer) Trevor Denman say that. The horse had plenty of run. Obviously, he’s (jockey Julien Leparoux) upset about it because that cost him a lot. He was in a nice position, he was settling and he had to lose all that ground. Julien is right about that because in a big race like that you can’t give Zenyatta and Blame whatever. But he ran his guts out. All in all, I’m very happy. No question. Very happy.”

Julien Leparoux (jockey, Fly Down, 3rd) – “He ran big. He got bothered on the first turn and we lost some ground there. He finished well. It was a good race.”

Bob Baffert (trainer, Lookin At Lucky, 4th) – “We were too far back. They didn’t go fast enough. He broke well, but I guess (jockey) Martin (Garcia) thought they were going to be flying. I don’t know. He’s never that far back. They weren’t going that fast. I thought he was going to win turning for home, but we were at a disadvantage today coming from California and not working over the track. I saw that in my other horses. He got tired in the end. We were just too far back, both of us (Lookin At Lucky and Zenyatta).

Martin Garcia (jockey, Lookin At Lucky, 4th) – “It was good for us. I put him where he belonged and we were moving well. In the stretch we tried, but he just got outrun by really good horses. They were better than him today.”

Dale Romans (trainer, Paddy O’Prado, 5th; First Dude, 8th) – “Both of my horses came out in good order. I was pretty pleased with Paddy’s race. He proved he belonged and that he could compete with the best horses on dirt. I’m a little disappointed with First Dude. He had a tough task in the race. He was right there with the leaders and when they backed up, he backed-up with them. I’m looking forward to good things from him next year.”

Kent Desormeaux (jockey, Paddy O’Prado, 5th) – “I loved the trip. I followed the winner and he just slowly crept away from me at the quarter-pole. It was from no lack of effort on my horse’s part. I want to go watch the replay. I don't know how she (Zenyatta) got beat.”

Robby Albarado (jockey, First Dude, 8th) – “He was way too aggressive today. We didn’t want him running like that (on the lead). We wanted to take him back a bit, but I wasn’t able to get him to cooperate.”

Kiaran McLaughlin (trainer, Etched, 6th) – “He ran great. He got there and then he flattened out. I’m happy he ran well. He gave us a thrill for a while.”

Derek Ryan (trainer, Musket Man, 7th) – “He ran good. They were going fast up front, and that last eighth got him a little. He ran his race.

Rajiv Maragh (jockey, Musket Man, 7th) – “He ran well. He ran hard. He had a great shot turning for home. He just got tired.”

Joel Rosario (jockey, Pleasant Prince, 9th) – “The trip was fine, but he wasn’t handling the track so well. He took a while to get going and then he didn’t seem too happy. But he did the best he could.”

Steve Asmussen (trainer, Haynesfield, 11th) – “That was not the trip he would have loved. It was a very tough race.”

Ramon Dominguez (jockey, Haynesfield, 11th) – “We had a pretty rough trip. He was very good in the gate, but my horse broke a little flat-footed and then was really aggressive. I had to really try to keep him where he was. The Japanese horse (Espoir City) kept coming over and making it worse because he was bumping into me.”

John Velazquez (jockey, Quality Road, 12th) – “He didn't handle the track at all. As soon as we got to the first turn he was struggling with the post position (1) and everything. He was struggling all the way around. He's never raced on (this track) before, and I guess he just didn't like it.”

####
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: