Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 20, 2014, 02:54:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maggie Wolfendale  (Read 4541 times)
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 08:41:41 AM »

Such things fade into the mists of memory, but perhaps you remember the name STEN.  He was an Ack Ack... paid a lot of nice numPerzz at Aqueduct.  DeStasio was vastly underrated (amazing with firsters, too, as I'm sure you remember).

I am too lazy to go into my garage and dig up the old DRFs, and sadly the DRF archive site is partially down (for the important years, of course), so the final resolution of this crucial Cinteelo issue will have to wait a week or so. The DRF excerpt reproduced in Beyer's book, which I do have to hand, does show two losses on "off" turf courses, but of course that doesn't count. Cheesy
Report to moderator   Logged
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 04:59:11 PM »

umm, yeah, quite a few times when we'd see her out on hit august nights.......not nice hair, sorry.....

are you kidding me.

kettle meet ms pot..pot ms kettle..

you seem to both have the same name...black

i am pleased to see at least NOW you pay attention to what sits on top of your head.

Certified Derbytologist
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 06:08:16 AM »

Perhaps I'm biased, since Rushton was the longtime gal-pal of an old friend of mine, but I thought she was much easier on the eyes than Wolfenwhatsis.  (Seem to recall she also used to work for Shug)...
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 07:30:48 AM »

Maggie's dad is one of the best trainers in the game and she grew up in the barn......She is super at giving critiques and accolades for a horses appearance......The best of any paddock reporter regardless of gender......She raved about the looks of two horses last Saturday......Louie Mondello in the first......And loved the turf foot on Unbridled Fire later on in the card.....She also spoke negatively about the favorites appearance in both of those races......She is super when looking at a turf foot on a first time grass horse.....And I appreciate it because it something you never get a look at on TV......She remembers cup changes on blinkers.....And is great talking about a horses ability to get a distance of ground based on his physical appearance......She has said several times she thinks this horse will have a problem with the stretchout and usually she is right on point
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:36:18 AM by HarnessFanDE » Report to moderator   Logged

SHOWTIME!!!
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 07:37:16 AM »

Serling has better facial hair.  And he was great with that "Twilight Zone" show.  Little wonder its greatest episode involved horse racing.

As for Louie Mondello, it's nice that a horse is named after that marvelously underrated trainer.  I remember when he had Alla Breva and Bar Dexter in the barn at the same time, an amazing combo for a small-stable but high-percentage guy.  Sue Alpers carried on well after him, but the last I heard of her she was out of training entirely, and working the gap at Belmeduct.
dontdoit

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 08:56:32 AM »

Bar Dexter. Sue Alpers.

Good stuff.

I'm also glad to see Maggie being appreciated. She deserves it. She does a tremendous job.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 11:12:12 AM »

Mondello is quoted several times (and to very good humorous effect) in what I think is the best book ever written about thoroughbred racing, The Track, by the late William Surface. 
journalstuff

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 01:59:54 PM »

has anyone seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV344VysAmQ&feature=plcp

"what was wrong with maggie wolfendale that day? she's the sideline (paddock) analyst/reporter for nyra tracks (aqueduct, belmont and saratoga)?"

"is she nervous?"
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 08:01:55 PM »

Pammy, do you realize that you got tricked into posting to an almost 2 year old thread??  head shake

Oh shoot, not I didn't realize.  Thank you..  DUH!
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »

Ahem, make that NO I did not realize.  And now double duh.
bello

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 09:25:04 AM »

Maggie does NOT handicap. And that is what I most appreciate about her. She gives a description of the horses appearance, in particular as it compares to prevous appearances. She also has a handle on turf horses and distance horses by their stature and hoof. She is the best thing NYRA has done in a while. And she knows her stuff. If she does not like a horses appearance in the paddock, I suggest you listen.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »

Ahem, make that NO I did not realize.  And now double duh.

English IS pretty tough...just ask Ralph Wiggum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iSD9lPVY6Q

poor baby
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 01:58:36 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

But don't forget that Homer asks "what do I need English for?  I'm never goin' to England."

Meanwhile Wolfendale has been extremely good of late, she couldn't say enough about the Bruce Levine claim that won on da toif yesterday, and while the horse was a standout, she was on it like white on rice.

Today she nailed the Robot spint firster as a greenie (boy, was he), and pointed out tbhat the Catalano switch in the marathon looked bad in the paddock (he raced accordingly).
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »

She said Book Review looked bad, and the filly raced poorly.  Same deal with Trinniberg.  VERY impressive.

journalstuff

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 11:05:13 PM »

Saw Maggie yesterday on TVG Blinkers Off with Matt Carothers. Nice that shes doing that show. Overall, i think maggie is sometimes good. I miss jan rushton. Jan still does handicap the nyra tracks for nassau downs otb. So if i want to follow anyone that does good for NYRA then I trust Jan's picks for that.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2012, 06:47:17 AM »

How DENSE are you?  I don't care about her handicapping, what I'm innarested in, as kinda shines forth from, like, every post above, is her evaluation of how a horse looks PHYSICALLY on any given day.

Nothing against Jan Rushton; as I've said before, she's the onetime girlfriend of an old friend of mine, and she worked for Shug to boot, certainly a feather in her many hats.  But Wolfendale is in a class by herself.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 01:16:22 PM »

She mispronounced "Antipathy" today!   Sad

Seriously, though... she is an amazing asset.  Anyone who bets NY baby races without at least giving her a listen is crazy.
Juicejunkies

Ignore Button Below↓↓↓

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »

She mispronounced "Antipathy" today!   Sad

Seriously, though... she is an amazing asset.  Anyone who bets NY baby races without at least giving her a listen is crazy.

YES AND VERY PRETTY TOO.
coldpunch

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 01:25:38 PM »

Maggie is the daughter of longtime Maryland circuit trainer Howard Wolfendale and she knows how to look at a horse --something i certainly dont know a thing about

she doesnt flip her hair every 1.5 seconds ala Pacheco--but i dont care what she looks like--i listen to what she has to offer because i am trying to make bets and make money and she has helped steer my bets the right way on some occasions

if the Octomom knew her horses--i would listen to her as well
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »

Pammy, do you realize that you got tricked into posting to an almost 2 year old thread??  head shake

Not a clue!
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2012, 01:38:32 PM »

Just thought I'd throw that in for ya.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2012, 01:43:55 PM »

Just thought I'd throw that in for ya.

OK, you got me -- because it's the 2nd time!

Was going to ask you how wine season is going in upstate California.  maroon
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »

OK, you got me -- because it's the 2nd time!

Was going to ask you how wine season is going in upstate California.  maroon

That's north of us.  I'm not a great wine taster.  If I go wine tasting, it ruins the rest of my day.  So I have to go to the disgusting habit of most tasters, of spitting it into the buckets.  I hate doing that in public!

We've been too busy to go up and enjoy Napa/Sonoma county.
Yimmy

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2012, 01:58:22 PM »

I have been there, and enjoyed the hell out of it, but... from a geographical standpoint, wouldn't that be "down" rather than "up" from you, Pam?
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2012, 02:15:16 PM »

So I have to go to the disgusting habit of most tasters, of spitting it into the buckets.  I hate doing that in public!

I have this mental image of you in your living room, surrounded by about 30 buckets, sipping wine and spitting it...in private!   Cheesy

(Hey, what can I tell ya? I was born to be a smartass...)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: