Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 20, 2014, 05:11:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sore Feet  (Read 21004 times)
FINEPOINT

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:36:03 AM »

I read a recent article in HoofBeats about a trainer who treated a horse with severe sore feet!  He packed the feet with baby diapers???  How can baby diapers help sore feet? 
Report to moderator   Logged
BabyFireFly

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 10:59:14 AM »

I've used them for horses that have had abscesses pop through the bottom of their soles. Call it the cheap version of Animalintex....

Keeps medications in place and moisture at bay...absorbent and good for padding.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 03:23:47 PM »

I've used them for horses that have had abscesses pop through the bottom of their soles. Call it the cheap version of Animalintex....

Keeps medications in place and moisture at bay...absorbent and good for padding.
lThankyou Baby Fire Fly
Any paticular brand you have found works better than the other???

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:26:20 PM »

I read a recent article in HoofBeats about a trainer who treated a horse with severe sore feet!  He packed the feet with baby diapers???  How can baby diapers help sore feet?  

I doubt he used the diapers as packing.  He used them to hold whatever he packed them with, in place.  
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:53:07 PM by OldGreyMare » Report to moderator   Logged

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
BabyFireFly

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:19:44 AM »

lThankyou Baby Fire Fly
Any paticular brand you have found works better than the other???

Haha....well I use what I have in the house for my little one - Huggies Natural Care - organic cotton with Aloe and Vitamin E.

It sounds funny but they really are a good thing to have on hand in an emergency too...for instance if you have a bleeding wound that needs a pressure bandage, just cover with the diaper and wrap with vetrap - you can fasten them in place and then wrap, doing away with the whole one handed thing.

I call the baby section at the drug store the "horse aisle" because almost everything there is used in the barn too - diapers, wipes, baby oil, tear-free shampoo (for face washing), powder, butt paste and jarred baby carrots and apples (good for mixing with yucky tasting medicine).
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:13:02 PM »

A 50 50 mix of DMSO and Turpentine soaked in the diaper, stuffed in the sole and wrapped with a vet wrap the day before the race if I remmember that grooms tip from a couple of years ago.

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 08:59:47 PM »

Thanks Samstar I am having a few problems with my trotters feet.

BabyFireFly

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 07:40:14 AM »

A 50 50 mix of DMSO and Turpentine soaked in the diaper, stuffed in the sole and wrapped with a vet wrap the day before the race if I remmember that grooms tip from a couple of years ago.

This is an great mixture - I would change the ratio to more like 20% DMSO (Liquid -not gel) and 80% VT (warmed). Paint it on the soles and up over the nail holes (not too high though, dont get it on the coronary band) everyday. Plain rubbing alcohol will get it off if you happen to get it on yourself or on parts of the hoof that you don't want to paint. WEAR GLOVES....DMSO breath is bad enough, but DMSO/VT breath would kill a cat! I have found this to help with horses who have quarter cracks as well (once you go through the initial soaking / drawing to get any infection out.) It stops further infections from occurring and toughens the area.

The retirees and the riding horses that go barefoot get on well with just their regular trims and a quick paint of this mixture (daily for a week once shoes are pulled and then backed off to 1-2 times per week after that). I keep the tins of VT in the barn office so they stay warm and liquidy.

Great tip, Samstar!
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 05:06:38 PM »

By VT you mean Venice/Turpentine?  Hmmm, I'm a big believer in barefoot hoof care. Always looking for a quicker way to toughen the feet up. Of course it would have to be DMSO mixed with it...  DMSO makes me ill.  Anyway, maybe straight turpentine, heated up and painted on the soles?

BTW  Reducine, Venice/Turpentine, and icthammol heated up together makes a great draw, disinfectant, and toughener combo. DMSO supposed to be added to that, too, but I've had good results leaving it out.  Would probably work better in, though.

Another great draw: 50 - 50 hot water and apple cider vinegar soak.

Oh yeah MAJOR WARNING!!!  The above concoctions can be extremely volatile. I've had the saucepan ignite without warning.  DO NOT LEAVE THE MIXTURE UNATTENDED WHILE HEATING!!!  MAKE SURE YOU KEEP HANDY A LID OR SOMETHING TO SMOTHER THE FLAMES JUST IN CASE!

BabyFireFly

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »

OGM:

You can use the Venice Tupentine straight without the DMSO, my mom does that in the winter with her barefoot horses since she is terrified of DMSO....

I'm not brave enough to actually heat stuff like that up in a saucepan - though a double boiler over an electric range might be safe (as long as you don't breathe in the fumes.) I try to keep all that stuff in the heated office so it stays in it's liquid form...but since things like Pine Tar and Reducine are so thick and DMSO freezes at 60 degrees, I will sit them in a tub of boiling water for 15 minutes to heat them up.

Another thing I like to do is make a poultice of Epsom Salts and DMSO gel to pack in the hooves...also I have used this mixture on horses with "hard stocked" hind legs and it breaks up the inflammation and sucks them back down.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 09:59:36 PM »

You no you guys are just the best I wish I could meet all of you Thanks so much we got to do something with this fine boy he has so much heart. bowing
Hey he looks like a dang Arab I no Baby Fly when I said that I ducked cause I no how you feel about them.

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 09:17:57 AM »

OGM:

You can use the Venice Tupentine straight without the DMSO, my mom does that in the winter with her barefoot horses since she is terrified of DMSO....

I'm not brave enough to actually heat stuff like that up in a saucepan - though a double boiler over an electric range might be safe (as long as you don't breathe in the fumes.) I try to keep all that stuff in the heated office so it stays in it's liquid form...but since things like Pine Tar and Reducine are so thick and DMSO freezes at 60 degrees, I will sit them in a tub of boiling water for 15 minutes to heat them up.

Another thing I like to do is make a poultice of Epsom Salts and DMSO gel to pack in the hooves...also I have used this mixture on horses with "hard stocked" hind legs and it breaks up the inflammation and sucks them back down.

A heated office.... what a luxury...
  When the trainer I worked for first had me mix it up, he had me using an electric hot plate and saucepan. I don't do it that way anymore, lol.  I use a tiki torch container with the flame and a small saucepan. I take it outside away from the barn and sit there holding the saucepan over the flame constantly stirring.  That reducine/icthammol/VT mixture has to be near to boiling.  By the time I douse the flame and get back to the barn, it's cooled just enough to be at it's best.
  So you just mix Epsom salts and Dmso?  That's it?  No added to regular poultice?  And you weren't afraid of that blowing up?  lol

samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 07:57:07 PM »

The mixture that I recommended was  a 50 50 mixture of DMSO and gum turpentine.  This results in a liquid mixture rather then a sticky gum like mixture .  This is where the diaper comes in.  You saturate the diaper and vet wrap it around the foot.  I am sure that VT is just as effective except that I use a lot of cushion heel pads and thus  I like o be able to pour what I use on the foot.

sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 10:14:12 PM »

horse
Baby diapers are wonderful for applying medicnes to the sole of a horses foot. I use a mixture of Epsom salts, DMSO and evaported milk. Works wonders for sore feet and great for "hot nails"!
mo doc n

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 07:53:23 PM »

I know it's probably late in the year and cold but stand him in peat moss (in stall)

Helps the feet immensely
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 08:15:06 PM »

Peat moss is great stuff but it sure has gotten expensive. I guess that they are starting to call DMSO so check with your vet how much you can use and when.

mo doc n

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 08:53:26 PM »

Peat moss is great stuff but it sure has gotten expensive. I guess that they are starting to call DMSO so check with your vet how much you can use and when.

Are we talking about the same stuff?
what you use in your garden?

samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 07:53:39 PM »

Are we talking about the same stuff?
what you use in your garden?

Same stuff.  Makes great bedding and is great for the horses feet.  Used to be able to buy it for $3.00 a bail.. Now it is about $8.00 a bale. 

mo doc n

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 11:04:16 PM »

So DMSO and Peat Moss are the same?
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 08:37:51 AM »

Yes Mo doc they are the same thing.  Next Spring mulch your garden with DMSO.  You'll be amazed at the results.

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 08:43:09 AM »

Taken from the article about Zilpaterol on the USTA webpage:

the RCI Board adopted a recommendation from the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium to reclassify Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) as a Class 4 substance with a recommended plasma threshold of 10 micrograms/ml, which would allow for its use as a topical leg paint but would not allow for the oral or intravenous administration of the drug.

And about that article: is Zilpaterol what the boys and girls have been using?

BabyFireFly

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 02:29:55 PM »

Taken from the article about Zilpaterol on the USTA webpage:

the RCI Board adopted a recommendation from the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium to reclassify Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) as a Class 4 substance with a recommended plasma threshold of 10 micrograms/ml, which would allow for its use as a topical leg paint but would not allow for the oral or intravenous administration of the drug.

And about that article: is Zilpaterol what the boys and girls have been using?

Not being a beef farmer, I had no idea what this drug even was so I looked it up and found some scary studies that have been conducted on horses fed doses of this cattle feed additive. I'm not sure what the motive is for using it since it has both steriod-like properties as well as being related to the clenbuterol family of medicines...I guess either one or a combo of both would make some people think it was a good idea. But something that raises the horse's heart rate 400%+ over baseline within 40 minutes of being fed is not something for dumb dumbs to be playing with. This is also a drug that initially spikes RBC counts but them within 4 days after dosing can send them back down well below normal levels.

When you think about it, how easy is it to just feed a handful of grain with this stuff mixed in just before going into the paddock? No needles, no tubes....a gas man's paradise. Maybe this also explains 6 racehorse deaths at one track this year alone from "heart attacks"....

From the Intervet site: "Do not allow horses or other equines access to feed containing Zilpaterol Hydrochloride. Not for use in animals intended for breeding. Do not use in veal calves."

Whenever I read about a new drug that is being used on racehorses I can't help but think about the ones that go through the auctions and end up on trucks heading to Canada or Mexico to be slaughtered for human consumption. Think about all the withholding times required on beef and other livestock that is raised for this purpose - then think about all the horses that are feed all these mystery concoctions and then end up on someones plate. YUM-E.

mo doc n

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 09:42:23 PM »

Yes Mo doc they are the same thing.  Next Spring mulch your garden with DMSO.  You'll be amazed at the results.

your just messin' with me now poor baby
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 01:15:22 PM »

Moi? sneaky

Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »

We used Tuttles/epsom salts in tub, and vt after, combined with either rim or full pad depending on surface. (Old school?) silicone injection under pad not unheard of either.......
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: