Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 27, 2014, 07:21:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeding tie up horses  (Read 1687 times)
jesusmurphyblind

« on: September 28, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »

Please forgive me, I do remember this was discussed previously but does anyone have any suggestions for types of feed that are good to prevent tying up? I have relocated recently and my mare was doing great before I switched her feed. Can't get what I was getting before Embarrassed
Report to moderator   Logged
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:55:39 PM »

use a 10% fat 10% protein feed such as horsemans edge.  Add an ounce or two of corn oil to each feed just to make sure.  Don't use alfalfa hay.   TRy to turn the horse out as much as possible.  Use as little lasix as you can.  Make sure that you ar taking care of the feet.  Sore footed horses tie up much more quickly then sound footed horses. 

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
jesusmurphyblind

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 05:24:06 PM »

Hey thanks for responding Sam, I'm looking for a certain brand of feed that was discssed on here a few months ago. I cant remember what it was called, I thought someone else might remember?
BabyFireFly

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 06:56:44 AM »

Southern States Triple 10 - that's 10 fat and 10 protein. I'm also using Blue Seal's Performance Low Starch (that's the green bags).

One ounce of baking soda in the WATER daily and a good non-sugar based electrolyte (I like Nupro's Custom that's blended with probiotics and amino acids for digestive and muscle health).

Never a tie up....even on horses who came to us as "severe cases"....and yes, we turn out daily after they work, which is *key*.

Samstar makes an excellent point regarding the feet, pain and added stress from it can trigger a tie up. I have a trotter that the old trainer swore could not be in heavy work due to this issue, but the whole time it was a secondary thing to horribly sheared heels....once the feet were taken care of there was never an issue again.

And as a side note, we do not use Lactanase or any form of Tie Up supp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: