Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 22, 2014, 10:37:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeding weanlings  (Read 1373 times)
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2010, 11:41:15 AM »

What specifically would you feed an underweight weanling?  Good eater, has access to good pasture.  Don't want too much protein, right?  Most of the growth or mare/foal formulas seem to be very high in protein. Do they make a special feed that would just add weight?  What about this Grow Colt supplement?
  Also what would be a good worming schedule for a 6 mo old? The mare was wormed, don't know if the baby was.
Report to moderator   Logged

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
BabyFireFly

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »

I'm putting our two yearlings on Blue Seal's Sentinel Safe Start - I have been using the Performance Low Starch for the racehorses and they have all bloomed.

The Safe Start is high protein (something necessary for growth in little ones) at 16% with an 8% fat and 10% fiber content...if you are not comfortable with the amounts, they also have a Grow & Excel formula that is only 14% protein / 10% fat and 15% fiber.

They are only getting a couple of handfuls at each feeding and as much hay as they want 24/7, but they are little pork chops and don't need to be anymore hopped up then they are, especially since they are settling into their new environment off the breeding farm.

Everyone gets Cocosoya, something that your weanling may benefit from if introduced slowly as to not upset his digestive system since he's underweight...that way you are not stuffing him with a ton of feed, yet helping him with his caloric intake.

I believe with a weanling they need to be dewormed every 4 weeks to start until they reach a year old, and Zimecterin Gold is baby-safe....but I would check with your vet...seems like some people like to use Safeguard Pellets as they are easier to get into a baby, but that leaves gaps in your spectrumof coverage.

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: