Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 29, 2014, 07:21:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driving Bit  (Read 1534 times)
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:19:08 PM »

Does anyone know if they make a bit just like this but without being leather covered?  This is called an "Italian leather covered driving bit w/extensions.  Why the leather?  Hate leather bits...
http://theharnessshoponline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=63_100_107&products_id=735
Report to moderator   Logged

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 01:17:24 PM »

Does anyone know if they make a bit just like this but without being leather covered?  This is called an "Italian leather covered driving bit w/extensions.  Why the leather?  Hate leather bits...
http://theharnessshoponline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=63_100_107&products_id=735
mare it looks like the leather is stitched on. why not just cut the leather off?
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 05:17:26 PM »

Cut it off and wrap with rubber. Leave the leather bit gaurd on@

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
BabyFireFly

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:33:29 AM »

Abetta makes one but its a copper mouth bit.
fairgame

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:53:48 AM »

Abetta makes one but its a copper mouth bit.

I always thought copper was preferred.  Why do you say but?
BabyFireFly

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 11:30:53 AM »

I always thought copper was preferred.  Why do you say but?

I personally prefer copper mouths, the "but" was meant in case she was looking for a plain stainless mouth, in which case I have yet to come across a double extension that is just "plain."

I've got a bunch of leather covered bits in the barn...mostly ancient....they are basically decorative at this point, just hanging around on hooks. I have no use for them, maybe a rainy day craft project. The leather gets nasty pretty quick, roughed up and broken, seems to cause more harm than good.

We joke around that 90% of the horses in the barn could be driven with just a halter and baling twine for lines....but then again, most of these old guys would get around the track with a sack of grain on the seat. Haha.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 06:54:28 AM »

mare it looks like the leather is stitched on. why not just cut the leather off?

That's an idea.  Wonder if there's glue underneath?

Always wondered why we don't use the copper and sweet iron like the riding horse bits.  Never understood the leather... especially on colt bits ?!.... too large and clunky, would have to dry a horse's mouth out, and like BFF said, they quickly get dried up, chewed up, and ragged which can't be good.

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 07:08:28 AM »

Cut it off and wrap with rubber. Leave the leather bit gaurd on@

A friend has this bit on his horse.  He also mentioned the bit guards,... specifically.. they were a pain in the ass, kept getting hooked on the racing halter.  He said he tried cutting a hole and fastening it to the snaffle ring, but then the whole bit got jammed in the racing halter.  I was wondering 1. why not cut the guards off?  and 2. why not raise the racing halter higher?  Anyway, I suppose there's a reason the guards need to be there?  So the ring on the opposite side doesn't pull through the mouth?  How about a chin strap like the riding snaffles to prevent that, if that's the case?
   I'm asking because I'm sure others have tried it and found they screwed up.  I'ld rather benefit from someone else's experience before I screw up a newly purchased bit.

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 07:10:04 AM »

The *** is, I could swear I have a Riegle bit in the basement... try to find it though, now that I need it.  grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  No doubt it will pop up as soon as I purchase a new one...

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 07:03:52 AM »

Found that bit!  Wasn't a Riegle, though, just a bar bit with extensions.  No leather.  Used it last night, worked well, driver said much better.  Instead of bit guards, it's got these two little prongs that rest on the side of the mouth. Would still prefer a hinged mouthpiece, though...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: