Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 23, 2014, 05:27:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mane & Tail Care  (Read 2855 times)
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:33:16 AM »

This is totally a fu-fuu horse topic that is all about appearance and not health/wellness.  I've done some research on mane/tail growth and understand it is only 1 inch. a year.  Relative to external conditioning, I understand that you should avoid "products" in the roots because it is just pore clogging.  Also, with brushing avoid "pulling out" tangled hairs.  MTG is a product that I find works well for just about everything external (walnuts, rashes, nicks, and untangling etc.) but is is very greasy. 

My question to readers is about a home mixture of Lemon Juice and something else [baby oil ]... Huh  I've seen it used on show horses, Morgan's in-particular, for a glossy but soft appearance without a gumming up side-effect -- anyone know what I'm talking about?
Report to moderator   Logged
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 07:45:52 AM »

I am sorry, but I just got to be a smart a**.

"The only time a harness horse needs a brush is in the stretch, and then only the last eighth".

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 08:08:55 AM »

I am sorry, but I just got to be a smart a**.

"The only time a harness horse needs a brush is in the stretch, and then only the last eighth".

Good one.  Point taken !!
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 02:26:16 PM »

Years ago, I used showsheen.....
Sallyjo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 06:10:49 AM »

Never heard of Lemon juice and baby oil. I like Healthy Hair. moisturizes hair coat and great for mane and tails. bUT it contains lanolin so it will pick up dust. Great product.
BabyFireFly

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »

It's baby oil and vinegar.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 06:38:35 AM »

Never was one much for artificial shining products.  Old man who worked for my father when I was a kid taught me the secret to his mirror shine horses.  Elbow grease... or lots of currying. Finish off with a good buff with a piece of burlap.
  I did somehow come into possession of a bottle of ShowSheen and love it on the tails of the turn-outs.  Makes detangling a breeze.  Don't like it on their bodies, though.  Especially when I'm trying (note "trying") to ride bareback.  lol 

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
BabyFireFly

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 06:33:59 AM »

Showsheen is the reason I have severed nerves in my knee....haha...when they try to dump you, you slip under and end up between back legs....lesson learned? Never.
fairgame

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 06:37:14 AM »

hot toweling  with a little drop of skin-so-soft in the water
Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 09:25:13 AM »

WD-40 is cheap, easy, and inexpensive for the quantity you need.

Never had ione irritated by it.

Been using it for years.

TS

IT IS BETTER NOT TO ARGUE WITH A FOOL. HE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.
DiAnotherDei

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 09:47:11 PM »

Very very old school here (goes with the burlap rubbing too)...picking up some clean straw and rubbing it on them gives shine.

Show Sheen awesome to get burrs n tangles out when then come in from the field. Also in the winter when bathing is not a regular occurance...spray some show sheen on and towel them good on their sweat marks (show sheen is the equine version of rain-x).

MTG oily yes but it does well on mane regrowth. The one that I have which got real sick this spring ended up losing most of his mane (just fell out), its now re-growing and I rub MTG in 2x a week at the base of the mane.
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 10:00:12 PM »

Showsheen definetly NOt for body-riggin slides right off-worse than Pledge on sulky seat!!
  I used to add a dash of salt, and a little dishsoap to wash water, thjen rinse with second clean bucket.
nztrotr

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 07:19:45 PM »

I like the Cowboy Magic and EQyss producets. I shampoo manes and tails once a week or as needed and rinse with vinegar water followed up with a good warm water rinse.  Apply either Cowboy Magic detangler & shine or EQyss survivor when dry. I'll use a couple of times a week if needed.  Manes and tails stay pretty tangle free and you get great shine.  Can also be used on the face for shine.  EQyss also has a couple of products for moisturizing and conditioning of the hair coat that does not have silicone in them so you don't get the "slipperies" like you do with showsheen.  Added bonus they all smell really good. 
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 02:32:54 PM »

After detangling the tails with Showsheen the past few weeks I have to give the nod to Cowboy Magic. 

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 07:15:22 AM »

I think I have to give a big  thumbs up to ALL the Cowboy Magic products.  Getting my paint mare, who's mostly white, ready for Honesdale fair.  Gave her a bath with the Cowboy Magic whitening shampoo, holy crap!  They could race at night and not even need lights! 

DiAnotherDei

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 10:18:10 PM »

Cowboy magic brand ?Magic Sheen? I am sold on it for about half the price of Show Sheen too. I used it for the first time tonight; great product.
BabyFireFly

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 08:21:35 AM »

I love Cowboy Magic products (I remember when they first came out, I think I was 14 or something) and I was hooked on them (at the time with my Jumpers). My mom, who has Arabs, uses the Detangler to get through those 3 foot long manes and ground dragging tails, and says just a quarter size drop gets through the whole thing and leaves them easy to detangle for over a week. I bought a bottle of the Magic Sheen at Tractor Supply the other day and the boys liked it so much they went through the whole thing in a day....have to see if they make it in larger sizes!

I'd like to say that I am impressed by MTG. A few weeks ago I got suckered into buying a gallon of the newer Black Magic Liniment (at almost $100) and decided to try it on my horses that were usually just done up in rubbing alcohol. Well, after a week of using it, each and every horse's legs broke out and were RAW. Horses that Cedar Oil wouldn't blister, had the hide just peeling off. So, I stopped using it, scrubbed all their legs with medicated shampoo and double washed all their wraps and started coating their legs with the MTG. The next day the raw spots were already starting to heal and stopped oozing and weeping. Four days later they are almost all entirely healed up. The rest of the Black Magic went in the garbage. The bottle markets it as mostly a mane and tail grower, so I'm using it on the ones that came to us with their forelocks and tail tops clipped off (I hate when people do this - just my opinion) and hopefully it will speed up the grow back process.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: