Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 22, 2014, 11:05:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stick It To The Man  (Read 1272 times)
Ed

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2006, 10:15:08 AM »

Can someone please explain this one to me. What does "stick it to the man" mean? Is it a gay thing? Smiley How does that relate to racing at HAW?

Ed
Report to moderator   Logged
Thomas Graham

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 10:33:53 AM »

My guess is it's a take off on the Sprint commercial where the executive (a Mr. Burns type for you Simpson fans) is admiring his new Sprint phone because with the free minutes he's getting, he can "stick it to the man" (you know, tell the boss to shove it) and the lackey watching him says "but your the man, so you are sticking it to yourself".

Just a hunch. I could be wrong.

TJG
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 11:10:30 AM »

The term "The Man" has grown in popularity the last few years, refering to The Boss, The Company, etc. 

Even the 60's-70's song Proud Mary (Tina Turner, CCR) used the term, with the words, "Left a good job in the city, working for 'The Man' every night a day..."

When a bunch of us were watching the commercial with the pretty young women the other day, I remarked that it'd be great if those ladies really going to be at the track on Fridays.  Then one of the my friends says "So, now you want to come out on Friday and 'Stick It To The Man'?  I said, "Well, that's not exactly what I had in mind right now!"   Grin  Wink Roll Eyes Embarrassed
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 11:20:09 AM »

The term "The Man" has grown in popularity the last few years, refering to The Boss, The Company, etc. 

Even the 60's-70's song Proud Mary (Tina Turner, CCR) used the term, with the words, "Left a good job in the city, working for 'The Man' every night a day..."

I understand the term "The Man" in this context. What does "stick it to the man" have to do with going to HAW on a Fri afternoon? What are they trying to say? Screw work. Let's go to the track?

Ed
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 11:25:30 AM »

Maybe they want people to quit their day jobs and make their living at HAW???
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 11:27:05 AM »

What does "stick it to the man" have to do with going to HAW on a Fri afternoon? What are they trying to say? Screw work. Let's go to the track?

Ed

Yes
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 01:06:45 PM »

It's dumb, and in poor taste. As I said before..it's almost as bad as their "Join the whips and leather crowd" newspaper ad they did a few months ago. I don't know why Joe Scurto would allow this to happen(if he's in charge of advertising), because he's much brighter than this.

There are a ton of great tag lines that they could use. I'm sure everyone on BTW will respond with some ideas of their own. I will think about some lines, and be back soon with them..
Racing Schmuck

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 02:23:52 PM »

Poor taste or not Scurto is doing what he can do to bring more people to the track except for a replay show or TV commercials.  When was the last time a good decison came from Hawthorne for anything? 
big wally

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 02:28:09 PM »

Give them credit, they have to do something their average on-track handle this meet is less than $150k  per day. Are they adverstising on the radio and newspapers or just in-house?
edwarren

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »

It makes no sense. "stick it to the man." what is that? "stick it to the man."

CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 06:29:52 PM »

It makes no sense. "stick it to the man." what is that? "stick it to the man."

Who cares? Does it make you less likely to go to the races on Friday? More likely? Anything? It's a name for a promotional program.

I am going to pretend it means cheap Friday prices that "stick it to the man" in the form of Arlington and its outrageous Friday "party in the park" racetrack prices. There. I'm happy.
edwarren

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 06:36:31 PM »

Who cares? Does it make you less likely to go to the races on Friday? More likely? Anything? It's a name for a promotional program.

I am going to pretend it means cheap Friday prices that "stick it to the man" in the form of Arlington and its outrageous Friday "party in the park" racetrack prices. There. I'm happy.

Yeah, that's what it means. Sure. And High prices blow. Terry, you are right. Point taken.
edwarren

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 06:40:27 PM »

When a bunch of us were watching the commercial with the pretty young women the other day, I remarked that it'd be great if those ladies really going to be at the track on Fridays.  Then one of the my friends says "So, now you want to come out on Friday and 'Stick It To The Man'?  I said, "Well, that's not exactly what I had in mind right now!"   Grin  Wink Roll Eyes Embarrassed

"The man" always meant a cop. A Law Man.
Thomas Graham

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 07:18:57 PM »

As I stated earlier, "the man" is now a commonly used phrase meaning any authourity figure like a boss.  It's kind of like "Take this job and shove it Friday".  They can't call it a party because it's not like there are bands or anything like that.

I for one find it a cute tag line --- and if nothing else, we're talking about it.

I remember one year Arlington refering to the late post on Fridays as a "Tiebreaker", which made no sense but when you saw the illustration in the ad, it was of a guy ripping his tie off as he dashed out of the office to head to the track.  Made sense then, but didn't work on radio --- so that one bombed.

I think the next year, it was the "weekender" and then eventually a "party"

As others of have said, they're at least trying something and I like the line. One man's opinion.  i guess I'm sticking it to the man (this case the man being the majority of you). by liking it.

See you at Hawthorne on Friday,
TJG
robertv

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 08:21:36 PM »

My guess is it's a take off on the Sprint commercial where the executive (a Mr. Burns type for you Simpson fans) is admiring his new Sprint phone because with the free minutes he's getting, he can "stick it to the man" (you know, tell the boss to shove it) and the lackey watching him says "but your the man, so you are sticking it to yourself".

Just a hunch. I could be wrong.

TJG

You are 100% correct Thomas, Hawthorne marketing must have liked
the current Sprint ad campaign. Funny I'm in the same situation as the guy
in the commercial - I guess I'll be "sticking to myself" Fridays at Hawthorne Smiley 

Good night......and thank you.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 08:27:40 PM by robertv » Report to moderator   Logged
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 09:05:17 PM »

robertv..very funny..LOL
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 09:09:32 PM »

in the commercial - I guess I'll be "sticking to myself" Fridays at Hawthorne Smiley 

"Sticking to myself". Doesn't sound sanitary!

robertv if you do come out and feel at all social, let me know. Kentucky Fried and I are planning on doing Friday afternoons now that there's a decent post time. You can teach me to take photos, I can teach you how to put a picture on the Internet, and I'm sure I can afford to treat you to a $1.50 beer.
edwarren

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 09:27:42 PM »

"Good night......and thank you" You some kind of news anchorman? Da Man. Like Springsteen is Da Boss. DA BOSS.  LOL.

You "board members" too corporate for me. Y'all be "chairmans." Whose in the boardroom, Mistah Trumb? I know when I'm beat....I still say the "man", means a Law Man. Y'all got get your heads out around that 24-hour-news, HDTV, wid da crawl and Dr. Phil.

Dr. Phil "Da Man."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: