Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 18, 2014, 02:59:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HERVE FILION DAY AT CHESTER !!!!  (Read 8992 times)
Homestretch

Harness Racing is "King" Of All Sports

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2010, 11:15:29 PM »

don't get him rolling.  we all know how much he loves the Jets.  laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy
laughing guy
Report to moderator   Logged
Homestretch

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2010, 11:17:02 PM »

Don't get him started John, he hates the Jet's====So do I!
Herve hates the Jets also.
Looks like you three have something in common !!
 beer
Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2010, 05:55:14 AM »

I have to say I can remember Herve when he raced at the old Foxboro, he was the best. And as far as helping people he was also the best. I remember putting him up on a trotter at Freehold one day in the 80s when he was going for the most wins for the year, everybody was trying to help him, he said I cant drive him he is a nut case and the horse was, I said you will do just fine, and he wins by a neck and comes back and says why do you keep him in such a cheap class. He was a Master and I say that with all due respect about the man.He had Capital Hill farm and was a worker, but he did love AC, I shot crap with him and George Jones one night and he lost quite a bit, but his wife was with him. I can never say anything but good about him. If you needed 500 or more he was there and never would ask for it back.
Homestretch

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2010, 07:16:22 AM »

I have to say I can remember Herve when he raced at the old Foxboro, he was the best. And as far as helping people he was also the best. I remember putting him up on a trotter at Freehold one day in the 80s when he was going for the most wins for the year, everybody was trying to help him, he said I cant drive him he is a nut case and the horse was, I said you will do just fine, and he wins by a neck and comes back and says why do you keep him in such a cheap class. He was a Master and I say that with all due respect about the man.He had Capital Hill farm and was a worker, but he did love AC, I shot crap with him and George Jones one night and he lost quite a bit, but his wife was with him. I can never say anything but good about him. If you needed 500 or more he was there and never would ask for it back.
thumbs up thumbs up
race track phil

No minus pool rebates GOOFY

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2010, 07:21:10 AM »

bfilion ,

I heard your father played pool pretty good ?

And if so does he still play ?

RTP
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2010, 07:34:41 AM »

He had a sense of humor, he drove one mine at Freehold also and told me after the race that the horse should do well in the future if he dose not fall down and kill him self first. Nice way of saying get rid of him!

I trust no one, not even myself~~
Homestretch

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2010, 07:38:21 AM »

bfilion ,

I heard your father played pool pretty good ?

And if so does he still play ?

RTP
Herve is a great pool player.
Recently, we were playing 8 ball, and he said to me: "John, I'm going to show you something you've never seen before"
Herve calls the 8 ball on the break, in the right middle pocket.
He strikes them with a massive shot. All the balls scatter except the 8 ball which proceeds to roll slowly towards that pocket. Balls are rolling everywhere, but nothing hits the 8 ball.
It reaches within a fraction of an inch by the pocket, starts to stop, hesitates, and gently falls into the pocket !!!!!!!!!!
Herve says "John, I could never do that again in a million years"
My reply was, it doesn't matter, you called it, you made it.
The Babe Ruth of Harness Racing did it again !!!
Reminded me of Tigers putt which we all have seen over and over many times !!
Say what you will about my friend, but most of you don't really know the man !!!
Your loss !!
 thumbs up thumbs up
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2010, 08:10:13 AM »

I have to say a little while back I was introduced to Herve for the first time ever and my family has owned top level horses for years we had just never crossed paths....I was Star Struck....I remember going to Brandywine every night growing up when Herve was in his heyday and watching him work his magic so many times (Dont get me wrong he had a ton of horsepower back then also).....The guy is an icon.....and institution and while not without his issues....Who isnt?.....Its easy to sit in your Mom's basement and type bad things you "think" about people youve never met......I can honestly say its only the second time in my life I met someone and had goosebumps......You have no clue what you would have done if you were in Herve's shoes.....because you cant simulate something like that....I have been in complete love with this game for 40 years......But one of the absolute highlights ever for me was getting to shake Herve's hand.....he was a God to me growing up.....And no matter how far he fell (I never understand why some people get every break imaginable for having addictions and some people are vilified because they have them....I guess most of it stems from jealousy)....I prefer to remember him on those warm summer Brandywine nights when I used to pretend drive horse in the Grandstand and wish against all hope that someday I could be like Herve.....The best there ever was
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:54:12 AM by HarnessFanDE » Report to moderator   Logged

SHOWTIME!!!
Homestretch

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2010, 08:17:11 AM »

Nice HFD !!!!!!
 thumbs up
race track phil

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2010, 08:46:05 AM »

Homestetch ,

I know the shot too and made it many times , you hit the second ball in the rack and the 8 ball has a chance to go in the side pocket odds are about 12/1 !

I just wish I would have known he played pool when I was out there in the early 80's .  I'm sure we could have gambled a little bit and had a little fun after the track .  I heard he played pool from a Chicago guy about 5 years ago .

RTP
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2010, 08:52:58 AM »

Homestetch ,

I know the shot too and made it many times , you hit the second ball in the rack and the 8 ball has a chance to go in the side pocket odds are about 12/1 !

I just wish I would have known he played pool when I was out there in the early 80's .  I'm sure we could have gambled a little bit and had a little fun after the track .  I heard he played pool from a Chicago guy about 5 years ago .

RTP
There you go Phil, now your starting to like Herve!

ZENYATTA

« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2010, 08:55:35 AM »

Homestretch,

It is a good trait you have supoorting your friend.Many of us have someone we support despite all their bad acts.
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2010, 09:02:21 AM »

Its also a case of some people seeing the good in people and some people insisting in seeing the bad....even if the good far outweighs the bad...they harp on the bad....I try to remember Herve the greatest driver ever....Or Pete Rose "The baseball player" a guy who lived and breathed the game and played it as hard as anyone.....Or Mark McGwire's towering home runs......Or Tiger Woods "The greatest golfer ever".....Im not perfect or even close to it, so I cant demand perfection from anyone else......Unfortunately a lot of other people seem to be able to do that without a problem
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:07:49 AM by HarnessFanDE » Report to moderator   Logged

SHOWTIME!!!
race track phil

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2010, 09:15:10 AM »

There you go Phil, now your starting to like Herve!
             Yes indeed !!   It would have been nice !    maroon

RTP

I once played another driver Sterling Buch !  He had a table in his house and we played for awhile and were breaking out even . So I told Sterling you have an 8 claimer and I have an 8 claimer lets play for the horses the first one to win 7 games of nine ball . He was wise to say NO and said lets play 10 bucks a game ! I figured I better take what I can get a lousy 80 bucks and he quit !! 

Now I can hardly see the end rail !!   Old age is a *** !!    geezer
Homestretch

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2010, 09:28:47 AM »

Homestretch,

It is a good trait you have supoorting your friend.Many of us have someone we support despite all their bad acts.
If you live your life with hate, it will always come back and bite you !!
Homestretch

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2010, 09:30:31 AM »

Homestetch ,

RTP
Never try to beat Herve on the golf course, or the pool table !!
 Wink
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2010, 09:37:50 AM »

Wink
The card table is a different story!

Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2010, 09:48:23 AM »

Wink
Homestretch, ask Herve how many times Jim "Par 4" Marcus got into his pocket on the golf course!

race track phil

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2010, 09:51:06 AM »

Wink
    Homestretch ,

What makes you think that ??    Is he a pro poolplayer ?

I was being nice , but since you want to brag about your friend ! He would have had two chances slim and none with me during that time !!  

I would love to play him now !!  We are both old !    maroon

RTP

His chances today would be the same !!    geezer

Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2010, 10:01:32 AM »

Phil,
 I dont know you so cant say anything about  the pool. But Herve used to play at Liberty Bell 9 ball for a hundred a ball, and would he clean house. IMO he was the greatest I have seen for a long time. He seemed to have the knack to get anything done he wanted. I saw him a couple years ago with no upper teeth, and we are both getting old but the first words out of his mouth was no more AC for him.
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2010, 11:24:05 AM »

Whoa!

Let's keep in mind that Herve really got into trouble for breaking the #1 rule - many accusations of race-fixing.  I know many of you have expressed your warm & fuzzies but let's not lose track of what really happened for many years.

And let's never get started on that path about brother Henri.

Herve is still the league leader in wins & stiffs, which will always beg the obvious question of just how many could he have won.  But ultimately, winning was not enough & was also not important enough.

Forgive all you want - that's fine but don't forget.  Forgetting means learning nothing from mistakes of the past.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2010, 11:29:55 AM »

Whoa!

Let's keep in mind that Herve really got into trouble for breaking the #1 rule - many accusations of race-fixing.  I know many of you have expressed your warm & fuzzies but let's not lose track of what really happened for many years.

Herve is still the league leader in wins & stiffs, which will always beg the obvious question of just how many could he have won.  But ultimately, winning was not enough & was also not important enough.

Forgive all you want - that's fine but don't forget.  Forgetting means learning nothing from mistakes of the past.
I was wondering when Henri's name would pop up, he was slicker then Herve! trotter

pacingguy

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2010, 11:40:55 AM »

tax evasion that he pled guilty to after numerous appeals, I thought.
Elliot Spitzer was the prosecutor.  laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy should have offered him a bimbo and there would have been no conviction.  laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy

Herve never appealed a racing fixing conviction.  He pled guilty to tax evasion to get it all behind him.  The evidence wasn't strong enough for race fixing otherwise the prosecutor would have gone for the jugular for the publicity.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:02:37 PM by pacingguy » Report to moderator   Logged
Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2010, 01:01:28 PM »

Pacing Guy you are correct. Also the person that said Henri was this slickest knows what he is talking about. IMO
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2010, 01:14:35 PM »

Whoa!

That post borders on ridiculous.....Are there any facts at all contained in it? The #1 rule is "many accusations of race fixing"....If being accused of race fixing was the number one rule there would be 50 drivers set down a night for life....Wouldnt the number one rule be being convicted/found guilty of race fixing? You and others on here think every race is fixed......What driver could pass that test?....What really happened for many years? Please enlighten us since you are in "the know".......What does Henri have to do with Herve? I'll answer that one......Nothing.....league leader in stiffs? could we get a couple race numbers and tracks please? the obvious question "how many could he have won"? Well you being the conspiracy theorist that you are would also have to ask......How many times did "they" let Herve win races when he shouldn't have won? If every race is indeed fixed.......he may have actually won far less races if he was "honest"....it cant be a one way street

SHOWTIME!!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: