Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 30, 2014, 01:20:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hooray for $1.50 beers, but everything else sucks  (Read 3293 times)
RK

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 10:53:22 PM »

Repairs are finished, but that's the major detour route.  It will be a mess.  They are going to be doing more bridges on the Skyway too.

Hank, you might be better off taking 130th/127th over to Cicero.  Or take 294 around to 55 to see how bad the construction is there.  Lovely planning they did with every southern route being worked on at the same time.

Either move or buy a helicopter!

RK
Report to moderator   Logged
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 10:57:16 PM »

Either move or buy a helicopter!

Or, much as I hate to suggest it, go to Balmoral and play the Hawthorne races from there. Or one of the far south OTB's. Or Trackside in Indiana.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 10:58:54 PM by CLOCKERTERRY » Report to moderator   Logged
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 11:11:35 PM »

I'm an ***hole huh. Prick. I prove you facts are wrong and you call me names. Be a Man.  Great compare Hawthorne with Gulfsteam, go spend $171 million and watch your numbers drop 20% to 40%. Gulfstream was a major disappointment.

You state this Hawthorne promotions is stupid, yet you give no alternatives.

1)Be a man..to funny wally. You start the name calling by starting a reply to me with "Hey genius" and now can't take the truth about that remark being assholish.(if that's a word..)
2)You didn't prove me wrong either because Gulfstream is still offering more in purses than Hawthorne, and incentives for trainers/owners to fill more races 2 times a week. I don't care that they dropped purses months ago-they were still more than up here after they cut their purses.
3)Not "comparing" the 2 tracks, just would like to see Hawthorne like it was 3 years ago - before the merger. They did a MUCH better job back then.
4)lLook at my reply #5 - I gave one alternative there in that they offered better deals for us patrons when they called it "Fan Friendly Friday", and that they still made money then. If you go through all the posts that I post(which is way to many), I suggest alternatives alot for many situations - none of which they will probably use..LOL - wait!! I did suggest and complain that they didn't have the lower priced beer and hotdogs over a month ago, and it was quite an extensive thread with lots of remarks..hmmm maybe management did listen to my "alternative" in their own way.
HANK3849

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 11:28:33 PM »

I live 5 minutes from Balmoral and do go there to bet Hawthorne but I love live racing so I think i'll gut it out.
Thanks for the suggestions
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 11:31:38 PM »

I live 5 minutes from Balmoral and do go there to bet Hawthorne but I love live racing so I think i'll gut it out.
Thanks for the suggestions

Illinois racing needs more fans like that.
big wally

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2006, 07:04:57 AM »

Ok..Gulfstream attendance is down, and all overnights being raised by $10,000.00 for 9+ horse fields on friday's and Saturdays is A TERRIBLE THING TO DO TO THE HORSEMEN. You're 100% right big wally. I hope Hawthorne doesn't try to raise purses on Friday and Saturday-hell-what horseman in his right mind would want to race in one of those races..!!
Also Oaklawn, Santa Anita and the other tracks that have raised their purses are probably trying to run the horses from their tracks too..right wally?Huh

This sarcastic remark above started it all.

2. Gulfstream purses are better than Hawthorne. True, but was is your point they have alway been GP used to give away 300K a day. So, I do not get it.

3. I an not sure what things HAW did do better so I cannot comment. However, I know of no one who would compare the winter/spring racing in Florida to Chicago. This is no comparsion and never was.

4. You know, the tracks have a tough job. Internet wagering, rebates, tvg,  bettors are staying home. All these gimmicks to get people out to the track are just that.But, they should still try or should they?
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2006, 10:17:50 AM »

Well with the defeat of HB1917 yesterday we all have to wait and see whats up with our tracks here until next year.

I never really was comparing Hawthorne to Gulfstream (maybe I did, but not my intent). My reply originally was that there are several tracks around the country that this year have increased purses and that means one of two things -1) either those tracks are not doing any better finacially but are giving more of their profits to the purses to help the horsemen, or 2) they are increasing their handle and therefore distributing the additional profits with the horsemen.

Hawthorne has become so cash poor since the merger with NJC that they are going backwards on their own, not because of the riverboats, online wagering or lottery. Sure those things hurt all tracks, but they have been around for several years now and Hawthorne (until the merger) was still showing increases in handle and attendance (albiet small) every year since the middle 1990's. I have been posting this for months on here now, and every time I go to Hawthorne - employees from top management to floor sweepers mention that they have heard about BTW and about what everyone on here is saying.

Last fall Hawthorne CUT purses for the very first time during a live racing meet. For the 3 or 4 years that there has been winter/spring dates (including 1998-1999), this is their worst yet for handle and attendance. In my opinion they should be raising the purses right now to get more horses here, but because of their own financial instability they can't (or won't). That is why I originally made the first reply to this thread that other tracks are trying to attract more horsemen by increasing purses.

big wally

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2006, 07:51:42 PM »

well said
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: