Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 01, 2014, 06:56:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hooray for $1.50 beers, but everything else sucks  (Read 3294 times)
APtommy

« on: March 28, 2006, 01:27:38 PM »

Happy to see they are bringing back cheap beer on Fridays but I am the guy that is hurt by 3:00 post time.  I have business out in Cicero on Fridays, and I have made it a (bad?)  habit to take my lunch with the daily double at Hawthorne.  The late post kills this for me, by 3:00p.m. I am back at the office and thinking of heading home to the family.

The other thing that will decrease my share of the Hawthorne handle is the elimination of the video feed from the Magna website.  I have regularly placed advance wagers both on and off track knowing later I could watch the races live on the computer.  Now to do that, I have to sign up for a Ubet account, and I am just not going to pay anyone $17 a month for the privilege of wagering.   I know they will drop this fee if you bet enough, but I am a low limit horseplayer and I doubt I would regularly  make the cut for the comp.    With the price of racing forms, admission, and now a freaking subscription fee needed to watch a race where I can place a bet that has a nearly 20% rake taken out of it, I find my wagering dollars increasingly  headed elsewhere.  Screw it I don't need Hawthorne at all when I come to think of it.  I mean I like to go slumming and all, but why are they making it so hard on me?

As long as I am griping, I am also bothered by the fact that the industry's doping policy is a joke, it might as well be MLB.  But that is  a entirely separate topic.

In conclusion of my rant, I don't understand why management would do anything to limit access to this less than popular product.  I would suggest that it would be in any tracks interest to provide live video feeds for free on their sites, and make a deal with the cable providers to make the racing channels part of basic cable.   If you want the sport to grow and prosper, doing anything that limits access is completely stupid.   Didn't anyone learn fromwhat  Bill Wirtz did, taking  the Blackhawk games off free TV and completely killing off hockey in this town?  JMHO.  Boy, all this *** makes me feel like that John Franks character,  what should I do now, go get drunk?   

« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 01:33:54 PM by APtommy » Report to moderator   Logged
off stride

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 01:42:43 PM »

aptommy try this link for hawthorne....click on the word hawthorne

http://horseracing.sportsline.com/cbs/liveracing

your welcome
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 01:46:33 PM by off stride » Report to moderator   Logged
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 02:49:50 PM »

The other thing that will decrease my share of the Hawthorne handle is the elimination of the video feed from the Magna website.

Go here. I'm watching Hawthorne video as we speak. It looks to me as though we've got an exciting five horse race in the 3rd.

http://horseracing.sportsline.com/cbs/liveracing/

3:00 pm post time, plus triple points, is going to help my Friday handle ZOOM from its present state, zero, to whatever it will be.
Report to moderator   Logged
off stride

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 02:52:13 PM »

ha ha ha clocksucker terry is blind in one eye and cant see out of the other...by the way its his birthday,wish him a happy birthday
APtommy

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 03:56:01 PM »

Thanks for the link!
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 04:19:05 PM »

THE WHOLE "NEW" CAMPAIGN IS ABSOLUTE CRAP!!!!

Who thought up the "Stick It To Da Man" slogan? The same person who thought up the "Join The Whips and Leather Crowd"? What kind of azzholes are they trying to attract? Someone like John Frank? MUHAHA!!

But anyway--$1.50 for a 12ounce beer. $1.50 for a 7to1 hotdog(that means 7 links per pound). They think that's a good deal??
On the old Fan Friendly Fridays which only ended less than 2 years ago, they gave a 20 ounce beer and a 5to1 hotdog for only $1.00. They made money after all expenses including payroll but not much with that old campaign, but that's why it was called FAN FRIENDLY FRIDAY'S!! If anyone tries to tell us that they didn't make money it's a dam lie, because I did the cost analysis for all the products. The whole idea was to show the patron that the track was willing to show their appreciation for them coming out to their facility to wager and have fun-it wasn't to "STICK IT TO DA MAN"!!

I never liked the 3pm post at Arlington, but I can see their point on doing that for the Friday afternoon crowd. I don't really think Hawthorne will get the response that Arlington gets. Just my opinion..
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 05:04:36 PM »

Ya know, HAW may actually lose on track customers and handle with the 3pm start. Much of their regular clientele now leave the track early and are long gone by the last couple of races. I do believe that they will increase off track handle with this later start. I know my wagering will increase. I usually stop at the OTB after work on Fridays, just in time for the last race.

Ed
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 06:48:20 PM »

Definitely think the offtrack handle will be way up - more people free to bet the races, and definitely more California Dollars.

I'll be glad for the extra time to prepare and make the drive down.

The special 6% rebate is wonderful to me, and I do appreciate the regular 4% rebate. 

I'm looking forward to getting there as often as I can on those remaining Fridays.
robertv

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 07:16:20 PM »

I never liked the 3pm post at Arlington,  I don't really think Hawthorne will get the response that Arlington gets. Just my opinion..

The above is the understatement of the year!!!! Grin

Anyhow, the $1.50 beers and triple points are very welcome
marketing promotions for this player........ nice going Hawthorne
First Samurai

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 07:42:02 PM »

it's all about the party at Arl. and in my book you need some fine looking women to make a party. The sausage circle jerk of $1.50 beers and rebates is what that shit track Hawthorne is all about. And now you cn get a wekend off to a great start. Think of the dates that will be made. Heck maybe Suicide Al and Nick the Kid will catch eyes and start something....Ah the romance of those Cicero sunsets.

Turn the page.......
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 12:23:31 AM »

it's all about the party at Arl. and in my book you need some fine looking women to make a party. The sausage circle jerk of $1.50 beers and rebates is what that shit track Hawthorne is all about. And now you cn get a wekend off to a great start. Think of the dates that will be made. Heck maybe Suicide Al and Nick the Kid will catch eyes and start something....Ah the romance of those Cicero sunsets.

It sounds like we won't be seeing you there. Darn.
Exbourne
Drunk fat and good

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 12:44:20 AM »

Some one will ALWAYS complain no matter what....
I work a double on FRIDAYS...If I did not I wouuld be there...Give The Thorne a break...They are giving us more than we have had Since they took the dollar days from us...Beau.PM me....I want 2 ask ya something..

I drink,I smoke,I gamble.
What a Life!!!
7/29/05.
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 12:57:50 AM »

Some one will ALWAYS complain no matter what....
I work a double on FRIDAYS...If I did not I wouuld be there...Give The Thorne a break...They are giving us more than we have had Since they took the dollar days from us...Beau.PM me....I want 2 ask ya something..

Yes better than since they took it away, but here - listen to this.
Before they gave alot more. Now they are open year round with only one day closed and that's Christmas day between thoroughbreds, harness and simulcast days. Yet they're crying that they have no money. Oaklawn, Santa Anita, Gulfstream and a few other tracks have just INCREASED their purses all by a very GENEROUS amount because their handles are up and their attendances are up. I'm just saying that Hawthorne can do much more for the betters.
I have to say though that the 6% rebate on Fridays is a good touch for those of us who use the card(which I do). To bad it's only the one day.....
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 01:16:55 AM »

Yes better than since they took it away, but here - listen to this.
Before they gave alot more.

I'm not a fan of the hot dogs either way, 5/1 or 7/1. But I am not going to argue too much with $1.50 beers, even if only 12 oz. After Hawthorne, it's a long l-o-n-g summer of $5.50 beers. It is a big PITA to have to walk all the way to crossover bar to get MGD, though.
big wally

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 02:55:51 PM »

. Oaklawn, Santa Anita, Gulfstream and a few other tracks have just INCREASED their purses all by a very GENEROUS amount because their handles are up and their attendances are up. I'm just saying that Hawthorne can do much more for the betters.
I have to say though that the 6% rebate on Fridays is a good touch for those of us who use the card(which I do). To bad it's only the one day.....

Gulfstreams number are way down compared to 2004. The purses were very low to start and their facility is racing joke. http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/columns/story?id=2351452
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 03:23:50 PM »

Gulfstreams number are way down compared to 2004. The purses were very low to start and their facility is racing joke. http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/columns/story?id=2351452

Purses may be down from 2004, but they have raised them considerably as seen below. The thread wasn't about Gulfstream's facility as viewed by a writer. I've heard that it is not well built.

Gulfstream Park
Grade 1 winner Balletto (UAE) (Timber Country) will make her
first start since earning a runner-up finish in the 2004 Breeders’ Cup
Juvenile Fillies (G1) on Thursday in the eighth race, a one-mile allowance/
optional claiming event.
Owner-breeder Darley Stable retired Balletto last June after she underwent
surgery for an impacted intestine, but she recovered well
enough to resume training.
Jockey Edgar Prado has the mount for trainer Tom Albertrani.
Purses will be raised by $10,000 for each overnight race closing
with nine or more entries for cards on Saturday and Sunday.
“Horsemen are supporting our meet in a strong fashion,” Gulfstream
President Scott Savin said. “The Florida Horsemen’s Benevolent and
Protective Association felt the increases should be uniform for all levels
of racing, and we agree. We are fortunate to have solid participation
in our meet at all levels.”
Summerly (Summer Squall), the 2005 Kentucky Oaks (G1) winner,
worked for the first time this year on Tuesday, breezing four furlongs
in :53 at the Palm Meadows Training Center.
big wally

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 03:41:01 PM »

Purses may be down from 2004, but they have raised them considerably as seen below. The thread wasn't about Gulfstream's facility as viewed by a writer. I've heard that it is not well built.

Gulfstream Park
Grade 1 winner Balletto (UAE) (Timber Country) will make her
first start since earning a runner-up finish in the 2004 Breeders’ Cup
Juvenile Fillies (G1) on Thursday in the eighth race, a one-mile allowance/
optional claiming event.
Owner-breeder Darley Stable retired Balletto last June after she underwent
surgery for an impacted intestine, but she recovered well
enough to resume training.
Jockey Edgar Prado has the mount for trainer Tom Albertrani.
Purses will be raised by $10,000 for each overnight race closing
with nine or more entries for cards on Saturday and Sunday.
“Horsemen are supporting our meet in a strong fashion,” Gulfstream
President Scott Savin said. “The Florida Horsemen’s Benevolent and
Protective Association felt the increases should be uniform for all levels
of racing, and we agree. We are fortunate to have solid participation
in our meet at all levels.”
Summerly (Summer Squall), the 2005 Kentucky Oaks (G1) winner,
worked for the first time this year on Tuesday, breezing four furlongs
in :53 at the Palm Meadows Training Center.

You stated GP attendance and handle are up. Not True. Purses have been increased but only for two days(sat and sun) and this is to keep a mass exodus from happening to Keeneland. All their numbers are down, attendance, on-track handle, ISW and field size. I certainly do not see this a strength in their meet. They know only the turf races will get 9 or more entries also. Friday only two races with 9 or more both grass and if they cant get numerous 9 or entries on Fla derby day they really really suck...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 04:48:31 PM by big wally » Report to moderator   Logged
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 05:23:12 PM »

You stated GP attendance and handle are up. Not True. Purses have been increased but only for two days(sat and sun) and this is to keep a mass exodus from happening to Keeneland. All their numbers are down, attendance, on-track handle, ISW and field size. I certainly do not see this a strength in their meet. They know only the turf races will get 9 or more entries also. Friday only two races with 9 or more both grass and if they cant get numerous 9 or entries on Fla derby day they really really suck...

Ok..Gulfstream attendance is down, and all overnights being raised by $10,000.00 for 9+ horse fields on friday's and Saturdays is A TERRIBLE THING TO DO TO THE HORSEMEN. You're 100% right big wally. I hope Hawthorne doesn't try to raise purses on Friday and Saturday-hell-what horseman in his right mind would want to race in one of those races..!!
Also Oaklawn, Santa Anita and the other tracks that have raised their purses are probably trying to run the horses from their tracks too..right wally?Huh
big wally

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 06:03:58 PM »

OK..Gulfstream attendance is down, and all overnights being raised by $10,000.00 for 9+ horse fields on friday's and Saturdays is A TERRIBLE THING TO DO TO THE HORSEMEN. You're 100% right big wally. I hope Hawthorne doesn't try to raise purses on Friday and Saturday-hell-what horseman in his right mind would want to race in one of those races..!!
Also Oaklawn, Santa Anita and the other tracks that have raised their purses are probably trying to run the horses from their tracks too..right wally?Huh

Hey genius, you thread was how good Gulfstream was doing Handle and attendance wise. Their, purse increase was due to around a 20% percent decrease to begin the meet with. Nobody is saying it is bad to raise purses, but look at the facts before you start bashing others. The gulfstream meet sucked. OK, lets saw Hawthorne starts their MSW at 19k (instead of 25k) and later in the meet(80% thru the meet) says we will raise them to 29K for races with races with nine horses or more. Great, look how good Hawthorne is doing they raised purses.   What would you think then .. Just admit you were wrong abot GP instead of ranting and raving about things I never said.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 06:34:29 PM by big wally » Report to moderator   Logged
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 09:02:15 PM »

Hey genius, you thread was how good Gulfstream was doing Handle and attendance wise. Their, purse increase was due to around a 20% percent decrease to begin the meet with. Nobody is saying it is bad to raise purses, but look at the facts before you start bashing others. The gulfstream meet sucked. OK, lets saw Hawthorne starts their MSW at 19k (instead of 25k) and later in the meet(80% thru the meet) says we will raise them to 29K for races with races with nine horses or more. Great, look how good Hawthorne is doing they raised purses.   What would you think then .. Just admit you were wrong abot GP instead of ranting and raving about things I never said.

Yeah I'm a genius and yer an ***hole, but that's not the point.
To you Gulfstream might be doing terrible, but I would like to see the numbers they put up here at Hawthorne in a BIG way. Their averages for four days last week from 3/24 to 3/27 were:
Attendance: 4,375+
On Track Handle: $694,000.00+
All Simulcast: $6,200,000.00+
Those are the averages for the four days.
Now as far as the purses. Gulfstream for those four days was over $220,000.00 per day, and that's not including the $200,000.00 race on Saturday. Hawthornes average purses per day for the same four days was about $150,000.00
I have not been to the new Gulfstream. I've heard some hate it and some like it. My thread was more of a generalization of several tracks, but for some reason you decided to make it a slam on Gulfstream. I'm not from there nor do my horses race there, but I would rather see Hawthorne posting their numbers than what they are for themselves. Below is what you were replying to:

Oaklawn, Santa Anita, Gulfstream and a few other tracks have just INCREASED their purses all by a very GENEROUS amount because their handles are up and their attendances are up. I'm just saying that Hawthorne can do much more for the betters.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 09:15:01 PM »

The Gulfstream full field purse bonus (not increase) is an admission of desperation, like entry bonuses other tracks pay to trainers just to enter.

Didn't one of the tracks here have something llike that a few years back? If it was a full field all the trainers or owners would get a bonus?

Time will tell if this bonus does any good.
HANK3849

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2006, 09:18:37 PM »

Nobody mentioned the Dan Ryan repairs. I live close to Balmoral and the ride is long enough already. 3:00AM would be a better post time for me.
It will be pure hell coming to Hawthorne from the south.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006, 09:21:40 PM »

Nobody mentioned the Dan Ryan repairs. I live close to Balmoral and the ride is long enough already. 3:00AM would be a better post time for me.
It will be pure hell coming to Hawthorne from the south.

Take Lake Shore Drive. All the repairs there are finished. I think.
big wally

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 10:08:09 PM »

Yeah I'm a genius and yer an ***hole, but that's not the point.
To you Gulfstream might be doing terrible, but I would like to see the numbers they put up here at Hawthorne in a BIG way. Their averages for four days last week from 3/24 to 3/27 were:
Attendance: 4,375+
On Track Handle: $694,000.00+
All Simulcast: $6,200,000.00+
Those are the averages for the four days.
Now as far as the purses. Gulfstream for those four days was over $220,000.00 per day, and that's not including the $200,000.00 race on Saturday. Hawthornes average purses per day for the same four days was about $150,000.00
I have not been to the new Gulfstream. I've heard some hate it and some like it. My thread was more of a generalization of several tracks, but for some reason you decided to make it a slam on Gulfstream. I'm not from there nor do my horses race there, but I would rather see Hawthorne posting their numbers than what they are for themselves. Below is what you were replying to:

Oaklawn, Santa Anita, Gulfstream and a few other tracks have just INCREASED their purses all by a very GENEROUS amount because their handles are up and their attendances are up. I'm just saying that Hawthorne can do much more for the betters.

I'm an ***hole huh. Prick. I prove you facts are wrong and you call me names. Be a Man.  Great compare Hawthorne with Gulfsteam, go spend $171 million and watch your numbers drop 20% to 40%. Gulfstream was a major disappointment.

You state this Hawthorne promotions is stupid, yet you give no alternatives.
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 10:16:49 PM »

Take Lake Shore Drive. All the repairs there are finished. I think.

Repairs are finished, but that's the major detour route.  It will be a mess.  They are going to be doing more bridges on the Skyway too.

Hank, you might be better off taking 130th/127th over to Cicero.  Or take 294 around to 55 to see how bad the construction is there.  Lovely planning they did with every southern route being worked on at the same time.
RK

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 10:53:22 PM »

Repairs are finished, but that's the major detour route.  It will be a mess.  They are going to be doing more bridges on the Skyway too.

Hank, you might be better off taking 130th/127th over to Cicero.  Or take 294 around to 55 to see how bad the construction is there.  Lovely planning they did with every southern route being worked on at the same time.

Either move or buy a helicopter!

RK
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 10:57:16 PM »

Either move or buy a helicopter!

Or, much as I hate to suggest it, go to Balmoral and play the Hawthorne races from there. Or one of the far south OTB's. Or Trackside in Indiana.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 10:58:54 PM by CLOCKERTERRY » Report to moderator   Logged
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 11:11:35 PM »

I'm an ***hole huh. Prick. I prove you facts are wrong and you call me names. Be a Man.  Great compare Hawthorne with Gulfsteam, go spend $171 million and watch your numbers drop 20% to 40%. Gulfstream was a major disappointment.

You state this Hawthorne promotions is stupid, yet you give no alternatives.

1)Be a man..to funny wally. You start the name calling by starting a reply to me with "Hey genius" and now can't take the truth about that remark being assholish.(if that's a word..)
2)You didn't prove me wrong either because Gulfstream is still offering more in purses than Hawthorne, and incentives for trainers/owners to fill more races 2 times a week. I don't care that they dropped purses months ago-they were still more than up here after they cut their purses.
3)Not "comparing" the 2 tracks, just would like to see Hawthorne like it was 3 years ago - before the merger. They did a MUCH better job back then.
4)lLook at my reply #5 - I gave one alternative there in that they offered better deals for us patrons when they called it "Fan Friendly Friday", and that they still made money then. If you go through all the posts that I post(which is way to many), I suggest alternatives alot for many situations - none of which they will probably use..LOL - wait!! I did suggest and complain that they didn't have the lower priced beer and hotdogs over a month ago, and it was quite an extensive thread with lots of remarks..hmmm maybe management did listen to my "alternative" in their own way.
HANK3849

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 11:28:33 PM »

I live 5 minutes from Balmoral and do go there to bet Hawthorne but I love live racing so I think i'll gut it out.
Thanks for the suggestions
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 11:31:38 PM »

I live 5 minutes from Balmoral and do go there to bet Hawthorne but I love live racing so I think i'll gut it out.
Thanks for the suggestions

Illinois racing needs more fans like that.
big wally

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2006, 07:04:57 AM »

Ok..Gulfstream attendance is down, and all overnights being raised by $10,000.00 for 9+ horse fields on friday's and Saturdays is A TERRIBLE THING TO DO TO THE HORSEMEN. You're 100% right big wally. I hope Hawthorne doesn't try to raise purses on Friday and Saturday-hell-what horseman in his right mind would want to race in one of those races..!!

This sarcastic remark above started it all.

2. Gulfstream purses are better than Hawthorne. True, but was is your point they have alway been GP used to give away 300K a day. So, I do not get it.

3. I an not sure what things HAW did do better so I cannot comment. However, I know of no one who would compare the winter/spring racing in Florida to Chicago. This is no comparsion and never was.

4. You know, the tracks have a tough job. Internet wagering, rebates, tvg,  bettors are staying home. All these gimmicks to get people out to the track are just that.But, they should still try or should they?
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2006, 10:17:50 AM »

Well with the defeat of HB1917 yesterday we all have to wait and see whats up with our tracks here until next year.

I never really was comparing Hawthorne to Gulfstream (maybe I did, but not my intent). My reply originally was that there are several tracks around the country that this year have increased purses and that means one of two things -1) either those tracks are not doing any better finacially but are giving more of their profits to the purses to help the horsemen, or 2) they are increasing their handle and therefore distributing the additional profits with the horsemen.

Hawthorne has become so cash poor since the merger with NJC that they are going backwards on their own, not because of the riverboats, online wagering or lottery. Sure those things hurt all tracks, but they have been around for several years now and Hawthorne (until the merger) was still showing increases in handle and attendance (albiet small) every year since the middle 1990's. I have been posting this for months on here now, and every time I go to Hawthorne - employees from top management to floor sweepers mention that they have heard about BTW and about what everyone on here is saying.

Last fall Hawthorne CUT purses for the very first time during a live racing meet. For the 3 or 4 years that there has been winter/spring dates (including 1998-1999), this is their worst yet for handle and attendance. In my opinion they should be raising the purses right now to get more horses here, but because of their own financial instability they can't (or won't). That is why I originally made the first reply to this thread that other tracks are trying to attract more horsemen by increasing purses.

big wally

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2006, 07:51:42 PM »

well said
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: