Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 28, 2014, 05:00:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ihha election  (Read 3832 times)
honesthorseman

« on: July 22, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »

I got a questionair from all of the candidates that are running for the open positions

Bernie paul and Marty engel look very impressive.....does anybody have a reason why I should not vote for those 2?

Also who else should I vote for?
Report to moderator   Logged
vaporize

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:19:01 PM »

I got a questionair from all of the candidates that are running for the open positions

Bernie paul and Marty engel look very impressive.....does anybody have a reason why I should not vote for those 2?

Also who else should I vote for?
Obvioulsy people who have first hand knowledge of or can ascertain from reliable people where they stand on the issues facing Il. harness racing which are too numerous to mention.
Bernie Paul owns a small stable, very bright and articulate would be an excellent choice.
Marty Engel long time owner, had/has Rucker training his out East and Stafford with the ones that are here. Have never met him personally but heard thru reliable sources is another sharp cookie.
honesthorseman

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 06:19:15 PM »

Any thoughts on the other candidates?
GBC

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 06:08:31 AM »

Obvioulsy people who have first hand knowledge of or can ascertain from reliable people where they stand on the issues facing Il. harness racing which are too numerous to mention.
Bernie Paul owns a small stable, very bright and articulate would be an excellent choice.

vaporize & honesthorseman

I can tell you from personal experience Bernie Paul is the best person for the job!!

I wont get into specifics but I have known him and his wife for about 4 years now and you won't find two of the most caring , loyal and respectable people on this planet. I would trust them with my life.

Mr. Paul has a stable of around 30 horses on two farms, from race horses , broodmares , yearlings and retired race horses. He takes his time to think things out and not make rash decisions on issues and people , very level headed and concerned about Illinois racing , I would sincerely urge you to cast a vote for him in the upcoming IHHA election, you will not be disappointed.
whocares

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 06:56:26 AM »

Ditto on Bernie Paul and Marty Engel. Would also recommend Rita Williams as a possibility. After those it looks like mighty slim pickens to me.
crackergenius

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:00:26 AM »

like anyone running for anything in Ill - throw them out
FILLYNATION

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 11:37:37 AM »

Bernie Paul appears to be the best choice of all the candidates on the list . I find his long term commitment to harness racing in Illinois very commendable .
GRANDPA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 12:39:14 PM »

cracker put the pipe down. i agree with all of those selections especially rita. no one knows more about the innermashings of il. racing. from the fairs to super night. nor is anyone more dedictaed to her job as a director. she drives to the south side of chicago for meets and goes home to north henderson. try to keep her schedule.
crackergenius

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 01:47:46 PM »

Grandpa -it's tough to put it down - one way or another I've been involved in Harness Racing for about 40 years -in Ill it's alway something - or someone screwing someone else - or races being fooled with many have tried to fix it - I think the bad reputation Illinios has is too much to overcome
vaporize

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 02:01:14 PM »

Grandpa -it's tough to put it down - one way or another I've been involved in Harness Racing for about 40 years -in Ill it's alway something - or someone screwing someone else - or races being fooled with many have tried to fix it - I think the bad reputation Illinios has is too much to overcome
not the only state this happens in cracker.
honesthorseman

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 03:29:18 PM »

so far
rita williams
marty engel
bernie paul
are good

what about   marcus miller? sam widger? Roger welch? todd warren? tim wilson? mike reading? price? phillips?
kingofpain

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 03:52:26 PM »

so far
rita williams
marty engel
bernie paul
are good

what about   marcus miller? sam widger? Roger welch? todd warren? tim wilson? mike reading? price? phillips?
Roger Welch would be one of my choices. He now has some experience in dealing with the Johnstons, something anyone new has yet to get frustrated by!
Marty Engel would be another choice, very knowledgeable about the game!  Marcus Miller would be a good choice because he is young and we need someone young who has a understanding of working in a big operation with all the aspects of the harness game! Plus he can gain valuable experience in what goes on in dealing with Chicago Track Mgmt.
vaporize

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 04:21:53 PM »

Roger Welch would be one of my choices. He now has some experience in dealing with the Johnstons, something anyone new has yet to get frustrated by!
Marty Engel would be another choice, very knowledgeable about the game!  Marcus Miller would be a good choice because he is young and we need someone young who has a understanding of working in a big operation with all the aspects of the harness game! Plus he can gain valuable experience in what goes on in dealing with Chicago Track Mgmt.
don't think we need someone who needs to gain valuable experience.   Need someone with experience.
Only way he would be good is if Erv pushes management some with all the power of his stable.
honesthorseman

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 04:24:54 PM »

don't think we need someone who needs to gain valuable experience.   Need someone with experience.
Only way he would be good is if Erv pushes management some with all the power of his stable.

erv has been on the board in the past
kellytuc
The one, the only, and the former - Kellytuc!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 04:55:41 PM »

John Price?  Bob phillips?  Brian Carpenter?  They can't be serious can they?  Why would Illinois horsemen support people who are so close to the Johnstons - the very people mostly responsible for the sad state of Illinois racing. 
Reading the answers of the candidates, Bernie Paul, Marty Engel, and Rita Willams appeared well thought out. 
honesthorseman

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 08:37:17 PM »

John Price?  Bob phillips?  Brian Carpenter?  They can't be serious can they?  Why would Illinois horsemen support people who are so close to the Johnstons - the very people mostly responsible for the sad state of Illinois racing. 
Reading the answers of the candidates, Bernie Paul, Marty Engel, and Rita Willams appeared well thought out. 

i personally feel that there should be very few drivers on the board....they drive the horses

it takes a lot of work to get horses to the track and those people(breeders,owners and trainers) should be the ones that represent the horsemen...

jmo
vaporize

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 11:53:33 PM »

i personally feel that there should be very few drivers on the board....they drive the horses

it takes a lot of work to get horses to the track and those people(breeders,owners and trainers) should be the ones that represent the horsemen...

jmo
should have at least one driver...Unless I am missing something aren't drivers necessary ?  A owner, trainer can spend all the time and money getting their horse ready but a good driver is the difference between a win check or nada.
honesthorseman

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 05:36:02 AM »

should have at least one driver...Unless I am missing something aren't drivers necessary ?  A owner, trainer can spend all the time and money getting their horse ready but a good driver is the difference between a win check or nada.

one driver my be good as a liason

if the board was full of drivers the only thing they would talk about is how to preserve the 25 bucks a drive
vaporize

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 05:44:41 AM »

one driver my be good as a liason

if the board was full of drivers the only thing they would talk about is how to preserve the 25 bucks a drive
agree...One would be good.
Here is a question ? This 25 per drive thing, what if anything do they get in other states ?
kingofpain

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 07:20:23 AM »

Then why endorse Bernie Paul, he has never been on the board!
honesthorseman

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 07:21:07 AM »

agree...One would be good.
Here is a question ? This 25 per drive thing, what if anything do they get in other states ?

i think it is the only thing keeping people here but if the ihha board was full of drivers that would be all they care about
Mr Irving

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »

I think that to be on the IHHA Board, a person must make a commitment to attend all meetings.  I shouldn't matter if a meeting is in Springfield.  If you look at the IHHA website, the attendance records are available.  It appears that Kay and Nelson Willis do not go to the Springfield meetings.  Nor does Roger Welch who is currently running.  In addition you have a driver who will be driving full time in Indiana who will likely be missing the next 4 months of meetingslike he did last year.  Factoring in what we hope will happen in Springfield over the next 4-5 months, I think that it is imperative to elect candidates who will attend all meetings possible.  Board members missing meetings over the next several months could certainly impact our future. 
honesthorseman

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 04:08:47 PM »

I think that to be on the IHHA Board, a person must make a commitment to attend all meetings.  I shouldn't matter if a meeting is in Springfield.  If you look at the IHHA website, the attendance records are available.  It appears that Kay and Nelson Willis do not go to the Springfield meetings.  Nor does Roger Welch who is currently running.  In addition you have a driver who will be driving full time in Indiana who will likely be missing the next 4 months of meetingslike he did last year.  Factoring in what we hope will happen in Springfield over the next 4-5 months, I think that it is imperative to elect candidates who will attend all meetings possible.  Board members missing meetings over the next several months could certainly impact our future. 

good point......everyone will want to be a part of our program if we get slots

if slots don't come then there will be a most likely continued exodus out of illinois

trainers and drivers both

Owners and breeders will stick around a little longer because their feet are a little more planted
GBC

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 08:29:13 PM »

Interesting turn of events

At the same time I receive my ballot , I receive a a letter from 5 candidates

Tim Wilson jr.
Brain Carpenter
Todd Warren
Robert Phillips
John Price

In the first paragraph faulting fellow horsemen for racing elsewhere and serving on the board,
point #2 getting rid of all lobbyist Huh
They have some other valid points most of which will not be welcomed by race track management.
What's even more laughable is they drew in a box with a pen and put check marks
next to their names doh this narrows it down to seven choices.

Rita Williams did it the proper way a single person statement.

honesthorseman

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 08:39:18 PM »

Interesting turn of events

At the same time I receive my ballot , I receive a a letter from 5 candidates

Tim Wilson jr.
Brain Carpenter
Todd Warren
Robert Phillips
John Price

In the first paragraph faulting fellow horsemen for racing elsewhere and serving on the board,
point #2 getting rid of all lobbyist Huh
They have some other valid points most of which will not be welcomed by race track management.
What's even more laughable is they drew in a box with a pen and put check marks
next to their names doh this narrows it down to seven choices.

Rita Williams did it the proper way a single person statement.

Carpenter, phillips and especially Price are track guys and i doubt warren would go through the trouble to send out a letter

do you think the tracks may be behind their campaigns?   I really do
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: