Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 21, 2014, 06:24:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Equipment questions  (Read 9142 times)
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »

Third training session with the dog chain today.  Jogged like a pro, did not take a hold.  Went a trip in 28 even.  Took a little hold in the last turn, but responded to a little pressure and he backed off.  Boy is he light on his feet.  Like floating on air.  If I can keep him under control, I can keep him sound and if I can keep him sound, invtie here we come.
Report to moderator   Logged

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 06:57:17 PM »

Walks a quarter of a mile before we jog two miles at a 5 clip.  Turns to train, 5- 35 quarters and let him stretch out a last quarter in 29,
Gets his first start back at the Indiana Pa fair on Wednesday.  I hope he continues to mind his manners.  I get to drive him a couple of heats before I turn him over to the pros.

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 08:09:13 PM »

Great to hear... and people should take note, it took what? a month? Amazing what a little patience and common sense can accomplish.  Good luck at the fairs.   thumbs up

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 04:23:25 PM »

Raced today. Won in 201 2 in hand on the engine with a 28/2 second quarter.  Didnt take hold until he hit the gate.  Racing again at Canfield to get a little rust off and some dollars off also.
We wore the dog chain, it was a flip of the coin, but, it seems to work well and not bother him at all. Wheel got stepped on going to the eight pole and he raced the last 7/8ths with a tire flapping in the wind and a wheel slowly disintegrating.  I kept looking at the wheel to see if it was going to collapse but it didn't.

samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »

Won at Canfield out of a hole in 200 2/5.  Perfect gentleman with the dog chain.  I am tempted to train him without it next time but he won't get trained this week.  Two races in 4 days is enough to tighten him up.  Off to the Open at Northfield for a final tightener before the Meadows.

Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 02:42:10 AM »

Won at Canfield out of a hole in 200 2/5.  Perfect gentleman with the dog chain.  I am tempted to train him without it next time but he won't get trained this week.  Two races in 4 days is enough to tighten him up.  Off to the Open at Northfield for a final tightener before the Meadows.

Here is TWO HOOFS UP for your success and continued good luck to you!

TS

IT IS BETTER NOT TO ARGUE WITH A FOOL. HE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »

Raced without the dog chain last week.  Was perfect.  Palone gets to win with him tommorrow.
Will go again without the dog chain. 

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 04:43:47 PM »

Great news.  Goes to show it's not the equipment but the person using it. The harshest rigging can be the best tool in the correct hands. The simplest rigging can ruin a horse in the wrong hands.

I have a horse I ride with a mechanical hackamore. I can ride with a loose rein.  With a bit, he's uncontrollable out on the trail. Runs away in a snaffle, rears with a shank. (And yes, he has his teeth done on regular basis by Pete Malone) Even doing all the groundwork, and one-rein stops he still fights the bit. Some heavy handed person obviously ripped his mouth off.  I took more grief on an internet forum when I first asked about the hackamore, but it saved this horse from going back to the auction.

Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 08:52:23 PM »

Wonder what happened in the Samstar saga?Huh?
  (FYI folks, OldGreyMare may not be your cup of tea, but I myself have worked with HOF horsemen who use most all of her remedies, and subscribe to her methods/mentality regarding groundwork and horse rigging and care. Second trained for a few of these guys, including Ned Bower, Delvin Miller, and both Simpsons.  She would be a welcome addition to ANY of these sheds, any era......
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 09:20:54 PM »

Wonder what happened in the Samstar saga?Huh?
  (FYI folks, OldGreyMare may not be your cup of tea, but I myself have worked with HOF horsemen who use most all of her remedies, and subscribe to her methods/mentality regarding groundwork and horse rigging and care. Second trained for a few of these guys, including Ned Bower, Delvin Miller, and both Simpsons.  She would be a welcome addition to ANY of these sheds, any era......
Delvin Miller , Ned Bower man you got to be old as dirt.
Both Simpsons to you mean John Sr. and Jr. or Jimmy?

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 06:55:26 AM »

Winter of 86/87 I was at Ben White working for Jim DeSpain. Ned Bower was on the backside of us. Springtime rolled around and Ned offered me a job. For better or worse (I'll never know) I stuck with Jim.
  Since all my decisions have led to 1. having the son I have now and 2. having the life I have now... I have to figure I made the right decisions.

I also worked for John Patterson, Sr. who sent me to the Meds for the summer with a couple on my own while he stayed in Lexington.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:11:22 AM by OldGreyMare » Report to moderator   Logged

Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »

Delvin Miller , Ned Bower man you got to be old as dirt.
Both Simpsons to you mean John Sr. and Jr. or Jimmy?
  Sr/Jr.......Jimmy was college boy at the time.  Sugarcane Hanover sure made him look good as time went by however......
   Old?  Can still go a mile when properly warmed up......
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »

Sr/Jr.......Jimmy was college boy at the time.  Sugarcane Hanover sure made him look good as time went by however......
   Old?  Can still go a mile when properly warmed up......
Lets see. If John Sr. was still alive he would be 92 today.
He retired from training fairly young because of his eyesight.
He was maybe still training 40 years ago. To be training for him you were maybe in your thirties.  So I will guess you are 72 years young.
That still sounds young to me.

Bonus question
What was the name of the parrot?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:36:50 PM by looking in » Report to moderator   Logged

As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 05:40:41 PM »

Lets see. If John Sr. was still alive he would be 92 today.
He retired from training fairly young because of his eyesight.
He was maybe still training 40 years ago. To be training for him you were maybe in your thirties.  So I will guess you are 72 years young.
That still sounds young to me.

Bonus question
What was the name of the parriot?

Jimmy took over in the early 80s.  Skeet came out of the stall to chauffeur him around in the Rolls.  Russell Williams (who rubbed Hazel Hanover among others) came out of the stall to help run the shed by committee as it were at the time.  Pat Fitzsimmons, Jim Moody, helped out as well.  Charley Coleman (Ayers, and to many others to recall) looked after the parrot whos name escapes me at this time.  I do recall the goat...LuLuBelle   Charley would hoist him up to the top of the barn in the mornings with a PVC pole, and he would sit there and holler "Whoa colt!" sprinkled in with a few profanities that caught the ear of KD Owens, Charlotte Sheppard, and John Gaines on occasion.
  I was down at Sorrento Oaks, that John built and sold to Pinske, the year he passed-I think it was 95.  Delvin was stabled there as well, and passed the next year I recall (might be a year off on that one...so many memories...lol)
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »

Good Stories and memories Buggyboy.

Late 60's I am traveling with a stakes colt for one of the HOF trainers you posted of.  Keep in mind I am a Country educated mid west WHITE farm boy.  I am put on a 9 horse Brooke Ledge truck with a truck full of Simpson horses and grooms. Needless to say this white boy looked a little out of place, if you know what I mean.
A good experience and a lasting memory.

Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »

Good Stories and memories Buggyboy.

Late 60's I am traveling with a stakes colt for one of the HOF trainers you posted of.  Keep in mind I am a Country educated mid west WHITE farm boy.  I am put on a 9 horse Brooke Ledge truck with a truck full of Simpson horses and grooms. Needless to say this white boy looked a little out of place, if you know what I mean.
A good experience and a lasting memory.

Myself and Pat were the only white guys, along with a groom who rubbed a nice Stars Pride colt named August Pride.  The shed remained segregated as such all the way to the end, when I believe Bob Roberts was helping Jimmy. (Seldom ever saw Jimmy in the shed by the way...he depended on eyes and ears, usually Charlie, to pass along info on the stock and daily goings on.  In all fairness, despite the widespread boozing in the shed, starting around 9:00 AM every morning, the help were very capable caretakers, and could read a horse as good as any...some of the best grooms I ever worked with).
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 06:22:01 AM »

When I worked for DeSpain he took on an old fella went by name Red Dog. Have no clue what his real name was. You guys probably know.

I was second-training so I got to sit behind every horse in the stable. Red Dog took care of only 2 horses and his 2 were always totally sound. Jim would rotate horses into his care and the colt that formerly had a hitch would become sound, and the colt taken out of his care would deteriorate. Red Dog would walk up to the track to watch his horses train, he never sat behind them...(I'm sure he did when he was younger, but he was pretty old at this time.) There was no vet work or injecting involved.  Really taught me the importance of good old-fashioned rubbing.

BabyFireFly

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 07:08:07 AM »

The Red Dog I know just drinks beer! hahaha...I'm sure many are aware of who I am talking about.
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »

Was this Red Dog a short guy?  If so, we knew him as Red Ryan.  He loved his booze, but was like so many others of days gone by, an excellent caretaker. Never saw him sober...lol. His poison was Imperial as I recall sharing a nip with him now and then when it chilled down in the AM at Ben White. Keep in mind, it was Ned Bowers shed, and if you did not indulge, you just never fitted in for some reason....we all drank, and many years later I regretted it. Been sober many years now, but blew several big chances to move forwards because of the drink. Got a few bones tossed my way via a Q drive, ect. and actually won a few with some nice stock. But the buzz was to important at the time, hence the regrets.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2011, 04:49:19 PM »

Ryan is ringing a bell. Yeah, he was pretty well pickled by that time. I would have this irate drunken leprechaun chasing me up and down the shedrow screeching how "no woman was going to tell him what to do", and "women didn't belong in the barn", etc.
I used to pack my lunch and when lunchtime rolled around I'ld find half of it gone. Old Red Dog, the only meal he'ld eat all day.. stealing it from me was a good incentive. I got Big Jim to ante up and started cooking for him, bringing it back at feedtime, and leaving it on the trunk. Neither one of us ever acknowledged it. He continued to screech at me every day, I continued to ignore him.  One day Tommy Tanner asked me if Red had showed me the picture he took.  Huh  Later on I checked Red's trunk. Under a towel I found a picture of me Tanner had taken and Red Dog kept. 

Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2011, 05:39:30 PM »

Sounds like Red Ryan to me....always *** about eveything, all the time.....I recall that he passed out in the barn alot, (kinda dozing off actually) and fell asleep one night in one of Neds stalls.  He was smoking a cig, and the stall caught fire, and heavily damaged one of Neds new Jerald sulkies.  Needless to say, Old Herman Holland was not a happy camper, and we passed the hat around and got Red a 1 way ticket to Illinois, his home state. Im pretty sure that was the last of Red on the circuit. I heard he passed shortly thereafter.....
MercedesMan

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2011, 12:19:16 PM »

Are these blinkers under a gauze hood?  Does it always go under the bridle? Is all the fuzzy/scrunchy for looks or comfort?  Why full ear covers, how does that compare to plugs?

This is Fox Valley Click winning last night:

1. the horse does not have blinkers on it is a fly screen

We have used a fly hood on horses

1. to stop dirt hiting them in the face
2. for a horse that jumps shadows it helps him to keep his mind on what he is doing

Does it always go under the bridle

i would hate to see the strap come lose and it fly off his head

Is all the fuzzy/scrunchy for looks or comfort

Both

Why full ear covers

We have plugs also under the ear hood

even with plugs the hose can still here so the hood helps to keep it even more quite and with this the plugs can NOT come out

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:22:07 PM by Black Label Society » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: