Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 01, 2014, 11:19:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 CARD MONTY AT MAYWWOD !!!!!  (Read 1714 times)
THUNDER KING
THUNDER KING

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »

When i was just a youngster i went to Maywood with an older buddy or another pool player.He did fairly well on the horses we were walking out and he was quite a bit ahead of me and before i could stop him he lost $2000 to the scam.A few years later there was a couple of carnys in town, they were masters at 3 card monty.We became friends so i called this old halfest buddy and told him there was pool action that he could win at.Steered him right into a trap for about $3000, I would not do this to anyone anymore but i would sure love to find some whip cup action,as it is my favorite I once beat 3 Gary cops out of $700 playing for $5 a man.THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 07:46:23 PM by THUNDER KING » Report to moderator   Logged

Then i got rich... then i got poor again havent changed since !!!
rock

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 07:47:55 PM »

Back in the early 80's the 3 card monty guys would ride the train from Great Lakes into Chicago and hustle the sailors, especially on payday weekends. Some of those guys would lose 2 weeks pay before they got to Chicago. Heck, they probably still do it.
Report to moderator   Logged
race track phil

No minus pool rebates GOOFY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »

King ,

The main 3 card monte crew was headed by a guy named Tony A and he was a pool sucker for me .  He would drop off a couple hundred to me at the Golden Eight Ball everytime he came in !  You talking about a whip cup is like chinesse to these posters I guarantee i'm the only guy that know what it is . Back to Tony A him and the crew would go to the cicero avenue bus terminal and rob those bus drivers every payday . He made plenty !!   A real good poolplayer named Charlie Jones even would go work with him when he busted out at the track !!  The best hustler though was a guy named Billy Maples with the pea bottle where you each shake the bottle and high number wins !  Billy would get 3 or 4 guys to play for few bucks or even big money and he invented two ways with the bottle to win !!  One was he had a magnets on the peas and only the high peas weren't magnetize and he held his magnet under his money when he shook the bottle and he always got a high numbered pea . Billy also invented the peek and thats were he would shake the bottle and catch a pea at the top and peek at it and if was a high pea number he would take it and if it was a low pea he would shake some more till he caught a high pea . The guy made tons of money back then !  A nice country guy who loved poolplayers too . I knew every scuff there was back then and actual miss those nights . He use to hang around in Burnham at Big Mike O'bannions bar and was also involved playing craps where they had the table juiced where naturally the dice sevened when ever they hit the button and they emptied out everybody that played . I use to play a guy pool in there named Corky on a crackerjack pool table 2 1/2 by 5 and the guy was super good and the best I could was break even and he wouldn't play anywhere else .

I could go on and on about hustler stories !!

RTP     geezer
THUNDER KING
THUNDER KING

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:37:02 PM »

Phil i was very good friends with Billy Maples he used to play his games at The Trumpet in Burnham i used to shill for him,He was a very good friend of mine.Made a lot of money with Billy we had a whole lot of shit going on for years.He would stake me and go to the track with me too.He would always come to the 12/20 bowling alley to see me.We took some dope dealers off for about $50000 in a greek bar in Gary.He went out of town on business and never came back and i never heard from him again.He was way ahead of his time.I vaguely knew Charlie seen him in a lot of different places we would BS and thats about it with him I know he passed !!!! It has to be the same bar because i knew that 5ft pool table very well.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:47:06 PM by THUNDER KING » Report to moderator   Logged

THUNDER KING
THUNDER KING

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:39:13 PM »

I worked with juice joints back in the 80s !!!

Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 10:49:38 PM »

King ,

The main 3 card monte crew was headed by a guy named Tony A and he was a pool sucker for me .  He would drop off a couple hundred to me at the Golden Eight Ball everytime he came in !  You talking about a whip cup is like chinesse to these posters I guarantee i'm the only guy that know what it is . Back to Tony A him and the crew would go to the cicero avenue bus terminal and rob those bus drivers every payday . He made plenty !!   A real good poolplayer named Charlie Jones even would go work with him when he busted out at the track !!  The best hustler though was a guy named Billy Maples with the pea bottle where you each shake the bottle and high number wins !  Billy would get 3 or 4 guys to play for few bucks or even big money and he invented two ways with the bottle to win !!  One was he had a magnets on the peas and only the high peas weren't magnetize and he held his magnet under his money when he shook the bottle and he always got a high numbered pea . Billy also invented the peek and thats were he would shake the bottle and catch a pea at the top and peek at it and if was a high pea number he would take it and if it was a low pea he would shake some more till he caught a high pea . The guy made tons of money back then !  A nice country guy who loved poolplayers too . I knew every scuff there was back then and actual miss those nights . He use to hang around in Burnham at Big Mike O'bannions bar and was also involved playing craps where they had the table juiced where naturally the dice sevened when ever they hit the button and they emptied out everybody that played . I use to play a guy pool in there named Corky on a crackerjack pool table 2 1/2 by 5 and the guy was super good and the best I could was break even and he wouldn't play anywhere else .

RTP     geezer
They use to be on every corner in Time's square, 2 black guys & a white guy who would be wining to make it look easy until the Mark jumped in and got ripped with the bent card! They were Pro's. 

I trust no one, not even myself~~
THUNDER KING
THUNDER KING

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 10:55:42 PM »

You are right Vegas they used to bend the card then you turned it over and it was the wrong card.

Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 11:10:29 PM »

You are right Vegas they used to bend the card then you turned it over and it was the wrong card.
How about the crew of cab drivers that were working the International Term. at JFK, they would pick up the Asians and take them to NYC and when they got to the hotel they would take out a scale and weigh them and charge them by the pound. If they were 140lbs the fare was $140.00. Gotta love N.Y.

I trust no one, not even myself~~
bello

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 11:14:48 PM »

How about the crew of cab drivers that were working the International Term. at JFK, they would pick up the Asians and take them to NYC and when they got to the hotel they would take out a scale and weigh them and charge them by the pound. If they were 140lbs the fare was $140.00. Gotta love N.Y.

Otherwise known as Lollypoppos...in other words, suckers.
noc

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 11:15:57 PM »

RTP or TK were any of those bars on GreenBay Ave..Recall there were 3 or 4 in a three block span..One was directly across from the Old Burnham Police station.. Huh?
race track phil

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 11:17:25 PM »

I figured you knew Billy because he was from your area and I always wondered what happen to him and figured he just retired and move south . The bad part about getting older is you wonder if friends of yours from the past are still alive . I know you must remember Louis Sullivan a real good friend of mine that I haven't seen for years and wonder if he is still around . One of these nights you take a ride to Maywood and shoot the breeze .

RTP

You must remember crippled Bob an old pool scuff ?

I wonder if he is still living ?
race track phil

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 11:22:15 PM »

RTP or TK were any of those bars on GreenBay Ave..Recall there were 3 or 4 in a three block span..One was directly across from the Old Burnham Police station.. Huh?
            Noc ,     If you offered me a million I couldn't tell you where the bar was !!

I just remember it was a saturday morning spot and it was tricky finding the joint .  I usually had a backer do the driving there .

I only went there 3 or 4 times the action was nill for me !!  The other guys had it locked up .

RTP

King will know !
Grinder

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 11:48:47 PM »

Noc ,     If you offered me a million I couldn't tell you where the bar was !!

I just remember it was a saturday morning spot and it was tricky finding the joint .  I usually had a backer do the driving there .

I only went there 3 or 4 times the action was nill for me !!  The other guys had it locked up .

RTP

King will know !

Phil, you gotta love the fact we got to experience this shit back then. Of course, YOU more than me (you being in Chicago, and a bit older than this shortstop in California.  
Oh, and  a Whip Cup!  You wont believe this, but I have one that my old buddy Arnold Bremler left me........also have his old leg-iron.  Some day I'll post a couple good old stories about Arnie and I on the "huss" in California.  Art W. (now in Vegas) told me you had a stake-horse who would bet high when you matched up right, and said you guys made some serious scores back in the 60's-70's.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:50:42 PM by Grinder » Report to moderator   Logged

The more you bet...the more you win
THUNDER KING
THUNDER KING

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 04:44:29 AM »

Noc i do not know the name of the street,but it was kind of a small bar.The bar was appx 45 ft long then curved to the right then there was room for a 5ft pool table on the left there were tables an chairs.I do remember it was closed to the Police Department.After O"Bannion had it a long hair guy named Al May took it over and it pretty much stayed the same.A lot of action in every sense of the word..I think you are right Green Bay Ave !!!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 05:53:57 AM by THUNDER KING » Report to moderator   Logged

THUNDER KING
THUNDER KING

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 04:51:13 AM »

I figured you knew Billy because he was from your area and I always wondered what happen to him and figured he just retired and move south . The bad part about getting older is you wonder if friends of yours from the past are still alive . I know you must remember Louis Sullivan a real good friend of mine that I haven't seen for years and wonder if he is still around . One of these nights you take a ride to Maywood and shoot the breeze .

RTP

You must remember crippled Bob an old pool scuff ?

I wonder if he is still living ?
Louie Sullivan i do not remember.Did he go by another name at all??Phil when i am able i will definately come to SUPER BOOTH #1.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 05:54:30 AM by THUNDER KING » Report to moderator   Logged

race track phil

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 05:38:16 AM »

King ,        No !    Louis even came around the Lyons Inn , he was a card and dice guy and whip cup . He was mostly bald in front , but a good looking man !!  He use to go to Chico's bar too .

Grinder ,    Those days it was hustle to survive and chase women when you were going good .  I had a couple good backers at the track until they tried to get over on me and then I would tell them get lost . A lot of greed by them !  Long story .

I never used a backer playing pool though because I normally had the nuts and only would make a bad game with the best player in Chicago Artie B and donate to him because I just wanted to beat him in pool or physically , but the latter would not have been a challenge , he couldn't fight a lick !!  Today is one of my best friends in life .
      Some good memories and some bad , but all n all a very exciting life in all aspects .

RTP
BK

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 05:39:54 AM »

nice stories fellas, Thank You
THUNDER KING
THUNDER KING

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 06:00:28 AM »

Phil i might have the right guy you described if you can remember him always wearing a black 3/4 lenght leather coat.If thats him I did not know him well?But did you know a guy named willie john he had a very strong move playing dice ?

looking in

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 06:58:23 AM »

RTP     geezer
RTP,
Anytime you have the time to post them, I and I am sure plenty others would love to read them.
Thank You

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
burton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 07:21:26 AM »

Weren't the three card monty guys from Maywood actually on the Tonight Show?
Probably late 1970's?
Johnny Carson had a great interest in magic, tricks etc and I thought at least the head guy was on?
THUNDER KING
THUNDER KING

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 07:35:07 AM »

Weren't the three card monty guys from Maywood actually on the Tonight Show?
Probably late 1970's?
Johnny Carson had a great interest in magic, tricks etc and I thought at least the head guy was on?

Phil would probably know,but i dont.

noc

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 07:40:09 AM »

Noc i do not know the name of the street,but it was kind of a small bar.The bar was appx 45 ft long then curved to the right then there was room for a 5ft pool table on the left there were tables an chairs.I do remember it was closed to the Police Department.After O"Bannion had it a long hair guy named Al May took it over and it pretty much stayed the same.A lot of action in every sense of the word..I think you are right Green Bay Ave !!!!
Had been known to stop in occasionaly....All had 4am licenses. Well you could just stay and they would let you.
Cicero bars they just closed for an hour...Kind of cleaned up around you and opened...Pretty much 24/7
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 07:50:31 AM »

3 card monte is actually a good bet for the player......you eliminate the "obvious" spot where they want you to think the card is (because you know its not there) and you are playing even with the house with a 50/50 shot to win.......

SHOWTIME!!!
bello

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 08:35:04 AM »

When I worked as a sales rep in Manhatten walking the streets calling on merchants in the late '70's, I would take the 3 card Monte dealers for an average of $100.00 a day until they got to know me. Their, I would throw my $20 down before their "patsy" would on top of the correct card and flip it myself. Always around a big crowd, they would pay me and I would leave. One time per dealer and I would walk away into the woodwork. When it was the patsy's turn to win it was a brief and easy call. You just had to act quick.
bello

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 08:40:13 AM »

Thunder King and RTP, you guys are modern ( well almost modern) day Damon Runyon's with the story's you have.

Time to update Guys and Dolls and call it Kings and RTP's  or something and premiere it in Chicago at the Ford Oriental Theatre.

Love the strories.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: