Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 01, 2014, 06:35:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT Tiger Pitcher robbed  (Read 1763 times)
yeast

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2010, 08:06:25 PM »

Ump chokes on call of last out  of perfect game.  Ironaclly   Armando Galleraga was the only guy in the ballpark not mad. Umps in baseball are brutal.
Report to moderator   Logged
rock

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:41:55 PM »

What the heck was he looking at? He was out by a full stride. That umpire should be written up and suspended, no place in the game for someone that blows an easy call like that. Let's see what Bud "head in the sand" Selig has to say tomorrow. Maybe just get his puppet Rob Manfred to issue a statement.
3 wide and wingin

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:30:20 PM »

The umpire apologized to him. He accepted it. That should be enough for all of us.
The End.
3 wide and wingin

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:09:13 AM »

Public opinion will be more for this kid. He will get more millage out of the blown call. He will be signing autographs with the ump in 25 years. Its like Branca and Bobby Thompson. I already forgot the name of the As pitcher with the perfect game. This will live on. Like Don Denkinger in the 85 series. I actually feel terrible for the ump now. He said he missed the biggest call of his career.
This is what makes the game great. I don't want to hear a word about instant replay either. It sucks.
Buckeye State

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:17:44 AM »

Public opinion will be more for this kid. He will get more millage out of the blown call. He will be signing autographs with the ump in 25 years. Its like Branca and Bobby Thompson. I already forgot the name of the As pitcher with the perfect game. This will live on. Like Don Denkinger in the 85 series. I actually feel terrible for the ump now. He said he missed the biggest call of his career.
This is what makes the game great. I don't want to hear a word about instant replay either. It sucks.

So an umpire that misses an obvious call is what makes the game great??

I agree with you to some extent 3wide about Ins replay. It sucks in its current form. The idea of instant replay to get a call right is a fantastic idea. The reason it doesn't work right in football is because television seizes the opportunity to make a few more advertising bucks on it and it the process itself lasts much longet then it should. Hockey has it right. There was a questionable goal tonight in overtime and guess what, it took them about 30 seconds to make the call. You mean to tell me for every coaches challenge in football it takes 5 minutes or more?

Instant replay is a no brainer great idea if its used right.
bello

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 07:49:16 AM »

And he was a CLASS ACT. And genuine about it. I was so impressed with this kids behavior after the game. We can all learn something from his behavior as well as the Ump's behavior.

And Yes, due to the blown call, these two will be forever linked together in baseball history. And though they don't know it yet, their classy (including the ump, apologixing after the game) they will both benefit by the mistake.
BK

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 08:33:35 AM »

There are worse things in life. Bottom line, he got the win and most importantly,he made much more than most for playing a GAME!!!! It' just a game,if you want to read about a real travesty I suggest you read the oil spill thread.
Maxim

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 08:39:29 AM »

I agree with Bello.
What a great display of sportmanship by all involved.   thumbs up thumbs up
Nice to see for a change !!
JBCSFL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 09:56:59 AM »

CNN is reporting:

That after examining all the replays, MLB is looking at reversing the call and awarding the No Hitter.......stay tuned.

Jim
burton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 09:59:35 AM »

One of my daughters started umping this season.
Last night was her first game behind the plate.
She blew a couple calls but did well overall.
Seeing this story made her feel a lot better.
rock

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 10:01:13 AM »

Both parties showed alot of class after the game. Some sports radio personalities are calling for Selig to reverse the call and give Galaragga the perfect game. My opinion is to leave it be, it is what it is, a blown call and you cannot fix them all.
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »

There are worse things in life. Bottom line, he got the win and most importantly,he made much more than most for playing a GAME!!!! It' just a game,if you want to read about a real travesty I suggest you read the oil spill thread.

No shit....If only the absolute worst thing in life was posted we'd only have one topic.....and maybe one topic for the absolute best thing too.....a two topic message board wouldn't draw many hits......Bottom line he "got the win".......That happens 16 times a day in baseball......As opposed to something that has happened 20 times in 120 years......Yeah I get your point......same thing.....We get paid in this country what our skills say we should get paid....dont be mad because the guy has a higher skill set that brings in more revenue then yours does......Athletes get paid ridiculous sums of money because they generate ridiculous revenue.....Not because they are a charity case

SHOWTIME!!!
BK

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 10:43:43 AM »

Maybe they should also review the 2 called strikes that Roy Halladay got which were not evenclose to the strike zone. Each blown call would have been ball 4.
tony clifton

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 11:10:38 AM »

I'm 100% with you 3WW. Some day a wooden bat is going to shatter and kill someone and the same people will advocate metal bats. Baseball is perfect the way it is.

if you want to change something for the better institute a salary cap.

totally true he'll be remembered more this way than if he got the perfect game, definitely more than dallas braden's PG
tony clifton

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 11:13:29 AM »

CNN is reporting:

That after examining all the replays, MLB is looking at reversing the call and awarding the No Hitter.......stay tuned.

Jim

selig already ruined the all star game...

this would set a TERRIBLE precedent
tony clifton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 11:15:03 AM »

Maybe they should also review the 2 called strikes that Roy Halladay got which were not evenclose to the strike zone. Each blown call would have been ball 4.

thumbs up thumbs up
tony clifton

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 11:17:27 AM »

No shit....If only the absolute worst thing in life was posted we'd only have one topic.....and maybe one topic for the absolute best thing too.....a two topic message board wouldn't draw many hits......Bottom line he "got the win".......That happens 16 times a day in baseball......As opposed to something that has happened 20 times in 120 years......Yeah I get your point......same thing.....We get paid in this country what our skills say we should get paid....dont be mad because the guy has a higher skill set that brings in more revenue then yours does......Athletes get paid ridiculous sums of money because they generate ridiculous revenue.....Not because they are a charity case

which is because entertainment is our top commodity

as a great scholar once said "We are entertaining ourselves to death"
Moni for free

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 01:27:41 PM »

BK, this might have been your best post EVER.... nothin for nothin, if the kid is saying the right things, which he is, then it is what it is.  Hopefully, however he truly belives that and it really is no skin off his back.  It IS obvious to me that the kid DOES in fact get how lucky he is in life.
3 wide and wingin

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 02:07:24 PM »

CNN is reporting:

Jim

That's the wrong thing to do. Although it makes sense on so many levels. It should not happen.
pigland1

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 02:26:20 PM »

I GET ROBBED IN THE P3 AND D/D EVERY NIGHT. AND WE HAVE INSTANT REPLAY
bello

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 03:03:39 PM »

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Armando-Galarraga-receives-a-Corvette-consolatio?urn=mlb,245508

As I stated in n ealier post, lots of good will gome to Gallarga and Hortn because they are 2 guys with more class than most of us have in our thumnail, and it is already starting. Had they gone eyeball to eyeball arguing after this call, it would have been a whole different story....see link
Maxim

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 03:18:20 PM »

thumbs up thumbs up  Thanks Bello, I agreed with you on page 1 and still do !!
Fine display of sportsmanship -- way to go Tigers and Chevrolet too.
pigland1

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Armando-Galarraga-receives-a-Corvette-consolatio?urn=mlb,245508

As I stated in n ealier post, lots of good will gome to Gallarga and Hortn because they are 2 guys with more class than most of us have in our thumnail, and it is already starting. Had they gone eyeball to eyeball arguing after this call, it would have been a whole different story....see link
GREAT POST ,THANKS FELLO
ZENYATTA

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 04:04:14 PM »

pigland,how can you wish death upon race fixers while you still have your head up ***'s arse ?
pigland1

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 04:06:26 PM »

pigland,how can you wish death upon race fixers while you still have your head up ***'s arse ?
ARE YOU CLINT GALBREATH?
ZENYATTA

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 04:08:07 PM »

pigland,

how can you wish death upon race fixers while you are still tossing ***'S salad ?
rock

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 04:12:50 PM »

Very cool thing today at the Tiger game. Joyce, the ump who blew the call is behind homeplate, Leyland sends out Galarraga with the line up card. Both men shake hands and pat each other on the back, later Joyce salutes Galaragga in the dugout. Very classy move by both men.
pigland1

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 04:13:18 PM »

pigland,

how can you wish death upon race fixers while you are still tossing ***'S salad ?
I HOPE YOU LOSE EVERY RACE TONIGHT AND *** WINS
ZENYATTA

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »

pigland,

how can you be wishing death on race fixers while you are knee deep up ***'s arse ?
pigland1

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 04:17:53 PM »

pigland,

how can you be wishing death on race fixers while you are knee deep up ***'s arse ?
IM GONNA GET IT RIGHT SOON,I KNOW IT
The Minister

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 04:28:33 PM »

The play should not be reviewed. It should stand as it is. Does it suck? Absolutely, but it sets a dangerous precedent. Bobby Witt could've had a perfect game, but the blown call on the bunt came in the 6th inning. Oh well!  Is this a special case just because it was the 9th inning? Just because it would've been the 27th out?

How about traps on catches? Stolen bases? Fair/foul? Hit by pitches? Are all of these to be reviewed? This outcry for instant replay is strictly an emotional circumstance because of a perfect storm. Sure, hindsight is 20/20 when you slow it down to a frame per second, but at what cost. Instant replay would not speed up baseball games.

I know this may not be a popular perspective, but so be it. Galarraga pitched an awesome baseball game -- down in the books as a one-hitter, but remembered as a perfect game. And that is how it should stay.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:47:16 PM by The Minister » Report to moderator   Logged
JBCSFL

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 04:29:02 PM »

Selig rules............... No, He will not overturn the ruling on the field.....it was not a perfect game.

Jim
BEAVER VAN PELT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 07:21:34 PM »

The play should not be reviewed. It should stand as it is. Does it suck? Absolutely, but it sets a dangerous precedent. Bobby Witt could've had a perfect game, but the blown call on the bunt came in the 6th inning. Oh well!  Is this a special case just because it was the 9th inning? Just because it would've been the 27th out?

How about traps on catches? Stolen bases? Fair/foul? Hit by pitches? Are all of these to be reviewed? This outcry for instant replay is strictly an emotional circumstance because of a perfect storm. Sure, hindsight is 20/20 when you slow it down to a frame per second, but at what cost. Instant replay would not speed up baseball games.

I know this may not be a popular perspective, but so be it. Galarraga pitched an awesome baseball game -- down in the books as a one-hitter, but remembered as a perfect game. And that is how it should stay.
WELL SAID BIG GUY

"NOBODY HAS W-2G NUMBERS LIKE ME... THUS, AN EXCLUSIVE INVITATION FROM TVG/BIG M TO COMPETE IN THE 2009/2010/2011 NHHC TOURNAMENT"; ALSO, ASK ME ABOUT REBATE$...
rock

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 07:57:42 PM »

The play should not be reviewed. It should stand as it is. Does it suck? Absolutely, but it sets a dangerous precedent. Bobby Witt could've had a perfect game, but the blown call on the bunt came in the 6th inning. Oh well!  Is this a special case just because it was the 9th inning? Just because it would've been the 27th out?

Agreed, good points  thumbs up
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: