Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 18, 2014, 04:51:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rene Douglas lawsuit against Arlington  (Read 2581 times)
ChrissyTina

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 10:25:19 PM »

OK I wasn't sure if I wanted to participate in this topic. I feel like its a sensitive one. Now that I've read a few posts, I feel better seeing I'm not the only one that seems to think its ridiculous for Rene to sue AP.

What happened to Rene was an unfortunate accident. There have been countless jockeys and exercise riders before Rene that have been injured, paralyzed, and killed participating in this sport. Horse racing and danger are inextricably linked!

Rene could put the blame on the polytrack, on Theriot, or even on the horse. The fact of the matter is he was well aware of the risks of his job and he voluntarily got on that horse to ride on a surface he now claims was too dangerous.

And I think Klink made a good point. A 1000lb animal landed on top of Rene! When a 1000lb animal lands on top of a 115lb man running at 40mph, I'm not sure if the track surface beneath them makes all that much difference.

Report to moderator   Logged

"Never let a win get to your head, or a loss to your heart."
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 10:29:50 PM »

horse
Horse racing is the one single sport where an ambulance follows close behind..
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 07:37:56 AM »

Klink,

If the horse weighed 2 tons, (4,000 pounds), that would be a world record!
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 08:03:35 AM »

I agree its a sensitive subject, but I don't think he deserves anything major at all.
Klink

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 08:55:23 AM »

Klink,

If the horse weighed 2 tons, (4,000 pounds), that would be a world record!

That's why I was an English major Grin
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 06:09:51 PM »

I have not heard any complaints yet this meet regarding the polytrack surface. For the last couple of years since the installation, there were immediate "shouts" as soon as racing started. I did hear that the track crew was implementing some new preparation principles from previous years (and equipment) so hopefully they will have it ironed out now.
SMD6268

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 03:25:53 PM »

Jamie Theriot should also be named in the lawsuit. The accident was caused by his reckless riding resulting in Rene being paralyzed.
Theriot gets a whopping 30-day suspension.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:58:50 PM by SMD6268 » Report to moderator   Logged
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 05:45:59 PM »

How silly, you going to try and get money off Theriot?  He has no money to get DAH!!!  Plus everyjock in the country would be filing suit against each other in the long run.  It seemed to me that most posters thought he should not have even received a 30 day suspension, and I agree!
SMD6268

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 06:37:54 PM »

How silly, you going to try and get money off Theriot?  He has no money to get DAH!!!  Plus everyjock in the country would be filing suit against each other in the long run.  It seemed to me that most posters thought he should not have even received a 30 day suspension, and I agree!

Are you kidding me? Theriot should not have received a 30 day suspension?! He caused the accident and then had the gaul to try and appeal the decision. Too bad it didn't work. That's why there are fines and suspensions to punish those who are liable for causing injury.
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 11:04:21 PM »

Are you kidding me? Theriot should not have received a 30 day suspension?! He caused the accident and then had the gaul to try and appeal the decision. Too bad it didn't work. That's why there are fines and suspensions to punish those who are liable for causing injury.

he never should of recieved 30 days,they gave him 30 cause of a accident where someone got crippled,,,,,,do the exact race over and same accident and if there,s no injury,than theres no 30 day suspension...get real here,ONLY cause someone got racked and crippled that the stewards had to make a statement with that suspension.
Klink

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 05:46:32 AM »

he never should of recieved 30 days,they gave him 30 cause of a accident where someone got crippled,,,,,,do the exact race over and same accident and if there,s no injury,than theres no 30 day suspension...get real here,ONLY cause someone got racked and crippled that the stewards had to make a statement with that suspension.

If you are driving drunk and hit someone and there are no injuries, there is one penalty, but if you are cripple someone, then there is another.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010, 11:49:40 AM »

We are coming up on the one year anniversary of Rene's injury, which occured in the Arlington Matron.
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2010, 02:17:49 PM »

How about every time a pitcher throws a 95 mile an hour fast ball and brakes a batters hand or finger, should he sue the pitcher and the other team?  There is a thing called assumed liability.
Horse Voice

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 06:06:30 PM »

How about every time a pitcher throws a 95 mile an hour fast ball and brakes a batters hand or finger, should he sue the pitcher and the other team?  There is a thing called assumed liability.

That's not a very good analogy, motto. That's a simple accident.

What if a Randy Johnson purposely and willingfully throws at your head, hits you, and you suffer blindness or double vision -- now your career is over. Is Johnson liable, because of his intent to injure you?

That's what needs to be adjudicated in the Douglas case -- was there intent by Theriot to drop Douglas? Some people think Jamie went after Rene on purpose. (I'll defer to the principals and there assigns on this one. Not my dojo.)
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 06:17:05 PM »

I agree HV, it just seems hard to believe there was intent, especially trying to prove he intentionally wanted to send Douglas down!
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 07:32:13 AM »

at this point it don,t matter who caused what,,,,,it,s in the lawyers hands now and as everyone knows,they will eventually settle.
Klink

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 07:37:14 AM »

at this point it don,t matter who caused what,,,,,it,s in the lawyers hands now and as everyone knows,they will eventually settle.

Agreed.

Maybe they'll name a stakes race after Rene someday?  Maybe?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: