Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 28, 2014, 02:43:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rene Douglas lawsuit against Arlington  (Read 2651 times)
CLOCKERTERRY

« on: May 11, 2010, 09:32:45 AM »

Janine had this at the front page.

JO'D at the Sun Times reports that Rene Douglas has filed suit against "Arlington Park Racecourse, LLC; Churchill Downs Inc.; Keeneland Association Inc.; and Martin Collins Surfaces & Footings, the manufacturer of the synthetic surface known as ''Polytrack.''

The claim is apparently that the synthetic racing surface was not properly prepared and maintained.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/horseracing/2258576,CST-SPT-arl11.article
Report to moderator   Logged
OTB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:14:23 AM »

This has all the makings of something being settled out of court as it might be in the defendants best interest.  Just an opinion.
Go Baby

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »

horse  Unfortunately racing can be a dangerous sport.  I hope whatever the outcome is that the racing community will keep supporting Rene and others who have been injured while riding.  Sadly, the polytrack was intended to reduce the number of catastophic injuries to horses and their riders.  I don't beleive the statisic have proven that out yet.  I do applaud Arlington for at least trying to do what is right.  I feel more studies are needed to determine the real causes of breakdowns in horses.  This is why I tried my best to get money for the SIU equine program to possibly conduct such a detailed study of injured horses.  We need to determine if it is the tracks fault, a riders mistake, or a freak accident or training errors or breeding.  I really feel we owe this to jockeys that ride for us. 
mj

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:58:52 AM »

Unfortunately racing can be a dangerous sport. 

That says it all--The plaintiff's might find it cheaper to settle out of court,but there have been decades of crippling injuries on dirt and turf. Sorry to see that Rene's lawyers went after deep pockets instead of the real culprit Jamie (Killer Jock) Theriot.
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:41:26 AM »

This has all the makings of something being settled out of court as it might be in the defendants best interest.  Just an opinion.
twin spires will offer him the gold card package,,,half price
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:46:31 AM »

an honest question here,since there,s gonna be 2 suits going,  douglas and mike straight's eventually,,,,,,if the rider is a self employed contractor and suppose to carry his own insurance,like workmans comp. how does this effect the suit,or does it help the track out ??
The_Knight_Sky

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:19:34 PM »

Sorry to see that Rene's lawyers went after deep pockets
instead of the real culprit Jamie (Killer Jock) Theriot.

Am I reading this right but "only" $50 grand?

....seeks damages ''in excess of $50,000'' from Arlington Park Racecourse, LLC;
Churchill Downs Inc.; Keeneland Association Inc.; and Martin Collins Surfaces
& Footings, the manufacturer of the synthetic surface known as ''Polytrack.''

The travels and travails of a 25 year racing  fan: http://www.theknightskyracing.blogspot.com
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 12:47:55 PM »

Am I reading this right but "only" $50 grand?

....seeks damages ''in excess of $50,000'' from Arlington Park Racecourse, LLC;
Churchill Downs Inc.; Keeneland Association Inc.; and Martin Collins Surfaces
& Footings, the manufacturer of the synthetic surface known as ''Polytrack.''

that,s just a minimum number,no diffrent than when someone defrauds a corporation out of 20 grand,,it,s written as theft over $300 to make it a felony..............................and regarding MJ comment on killer theriot,,every jockey in America has moved off the rail,same way,many times,,,only THIS time someone got paralyzed,,,,,,,,,,,,
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 01:55:12 PM »

Yes, he wants way more than 50 grand, I have seen people get 50 grand for a chipped tooth!  I love douglas's attorney's comment that it was a routine bump, I think NOT. Just looking for a little settlement money as it would be almost impossible to prove the claims Douglas has brought forward!
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 02:04:49 PM »

Power Rogers and Smith-Leaders in Illinois Injury Law

Named in Chicago Lawyer magazine as the No. 1 Plaintiff's Law Firm in Chicago, the personal injury law firm of Power Rogers & Smith has been recognized for many years as the leader in Illinois injury law.

The injury lawyers at Power Rogers & Smith take their leadership role very seriously. By the sweat of their brow and with unmatched dedication, Joseph A. Power, Jr., Larry R. Rogers, Sr. and Todd A. Smith, the name partners at Power, Rogers & Smith, have built a powerhouse personal injury law firm. All three founding partners are listed in the respected book The Best Lawyers in America.

Year after year voted by influential state and national publications as one of the top law firms in the nation, the Chicago-based law firm of Power Rogers & Smith has won some of the largest personal injury verdicts and settlements for its seriously injured clients. Known as the personal injury law firm that never backs down, Power Rogers & Smith has recovered more than a billion dollars for its clients in its 25-year history.

Our firm represents personal injury victims in catastrophic injury and wrongful death claims arising from aviation disasters, automobile accidents, construction accidents, product malfunctions, brain injuries, birth injuries and many other forms of medical malpractice.

A Reputation for Success
With a reputation for taking the toughest cases, the personal injury lawyers at Power Rogers & Smith always welcome a challenge and thrive on hard work. Our law firm is known to consistently take on the most difficult and demanding personal injury cases, Power, Rogers & Smith recovered in excess of $115 million in 2004 alone, and $145 million in 2003 for its clients in serious injury and wrongful death cases.

The injury law firm's influential and successful partners have won numerous awards from civic and professional organizations. Committed to advancing the public good by fighting the tough fight on behalf of the working person, our lawyers are known as tireless advocates for middle-class working men and women - the people who now are finding it harder and harder to get access to the court system.

Fighting the hard fight for more than a quarter of a century, the dedicated law firm of Power Rogers & Smith has won the heart of Chicago, the respect of the bar and the admiration of their clients and the media.

Certified Derbytologist
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 02:07:05 PM »

"in excess of 50,000" is just a category..the largest category of suit, and all you are required to document.

Certified Derbytologist
CLOCKERbiggestal

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 02:34:07 PM »

Unfortunately racing can be a dangerous sport. 

That says it all--The plaintiff's might find it cheaper to settle out of court,but there have been decades of crippling injuries on dirt and turf. Sorry to see that Rene's lawyers went after deep pockets instead of the real culprit Jamie (Killer Jock) Theriot.

yep Polytrack has more money (Insurance) than Theriot so lets blame them for Theriot careless riding causing Rene's horse to clip heels and go down.

I know Rene needs the money for his lifetime care but there should be another way......

Allan

Kickers beat one-pacers almost every time.
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 04:31:31 PM »

yep Polytrack has more money (Insurance) than Theriot so lets blame them for Theriot careless riding causing Rene's horse to clip heels and go down.

I know Rene needs the money for his lifetime care but there should be another way......

Allan
                 after he collects on his law suits,,,oh and the other way to make a living,,,,,,, they can throw him in a wheel chair and he can collect admissions at the entrance of hawthorne and arlington park with no problem's at all.....shoemaker ran a barn from a chair,,?HuhHuh?
Donna1

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 04:32:26 PM »

Jamie Theriot started the chain of events that left Rene Douglas paralyzed. The polytrack caused the actual paralysis.
His attorneys are saying that the track was not maintained properly and even Roy Arnold admitted that in a recent interview.
Why shouldn't Rene Douglas sue the track and the polytrack makers? that surface took away his ability to make a living and he'll need care for the rest of his life. I also hope that he sues Theriot for reckless riding.
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 04:40:01 PM »

Jamie Theriot started the chain of events that left Rene Douglas paralyzed. The polytrack caused the actual paralysis.
His attorneys are saying that the track was not maintained properly and even Roy Arnold admitted that in a recent interview.
Why shouldn't Rene Douglas sue the track and the polytrack makers? that surface took away his ability to make a living and he'll need care for the rest of his life. I also hope that he sues Theriot for reckless riding.

how about this they chose this sport,knew the dangers,,,,and yea theriot started the chain event,,,,,,,,,problem is,, theriots move is seen a  half a dozen times on the weekends all across this country......horses are cutoff all the time,watch a stakes race and these guys keep you pinned on the rail or behind a dead one,,,,,,theriot made a move and now one of the jocks is a cripple,,,,,,,,,i personal believe he is getting a bad rap for this,and the 30 day suspension was a joke,,,,,do you see jocks getting 30 days for alot of the other accidents,,,NOPE,,,,,,,,,did jack tatum get 30 days for destroying darrle stingly,s neck,,,,NOPE cause it was a football game and injuries happen
bjchapin1

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 04:41:04 PM »

Unfortunately, this was not the first accident in the sport. Is there any legal precedent for injured jockeys winning a lawsuit against the tracks, etc? Any attorneys out there?
Donna1

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 04:43:15 PM »

after he collects on his law suits,,,oh and the other way to make a living,,,,,,, they can throw him in a wheel chair and he can collect admissions at the entrance of hawthorne and arlington park with no problem's at all.....shoemaker ran a barn from a chair,,?HuhHuh?

How insensitive!
Horse Voice

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 04:51:13 PM »

He'd better sue Theriot too, then.

Tort law places rather high importance on the actions of the one(s) who started the chain of events, and secondary importance on miscreants down the line. Settlements are weighted in the same fashion.

The polytrack manufacturers will successfully dodge major responsibility be stating that were it not for Theriot's tortuous actions, their product would not be on trial. Even as one of the "deep pockets" defendants, they just wouldn't have to pay that much.

That said...ANY judgment against your product is bad for business, because even partially proven claims of misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance go right into the body of Case Law...and then the line forms outside your office door.

That's why so many of these personal injury cases are settled for "an undisclosed sum" out of court, "with no admission of any wrongdoing by the defendants".
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »

How insensitive!
it,s insensitive,it,s not meant to sound that way,they can still work,he can function from the waist up.........willie shoemaker {a JOCKEY}crippled his drunk self, driving drunk one day...he couldn't,t move a thing but his tongue, he was a trainer in a wheel chair in California for years,,,,dairyland in kenosha had a guy in a wheel chair with no lower half who worked the grandstand and club house entrance for 20 years and he managed to make a living........these jockeys chose this sport,so deal with the consequences
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 04:59:20 PM »

He'd better sue Theriot too, then.

Tort law places rather high importance on the actions of the one(s) who started the chain of events, and secondary importance on miscreants down the line. Settlements are weighted in the same fashion.

The polytrack manufacturers will successfully dodge major responsibility be stating that were it not for Theriot's tortuous actions, their product would not be on trial. Even as one of the "deep pockets" defendants, they just wouldn't have to pay that much.

That said...ANY judgment against your product is bad for business, because even partially proven claims of misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance go right into the body of Case Law...and then the line forms outside your office door.

That's why so many of these personal injury cases are settled for "an undisclosed sum" out of court, "with no admission of any wrongdoing by the defendants".
if and when they sue theriot.does he have his own insurance,the track doesn't have coverage on these guys,i don,t think???,,,,,and you gotta assume with thousands of jocks all over america that some can,t afford to insure themselves and policy,s would cancel out with non payment,just like auto insurance
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 05:21:40 PM »

Good points service tech
Brogan

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 05:55:42 PM »

This has to fall under workers compensation.  Rest assured the track had such a policy in effect covering jockeys.  Was the maximum payout on the policy enough to cover such a catastrophic injury...probably not.

In states where I've worked (Illinois is NOT one of them, btw).  The only way for the injured worker to sue was if there was negligence.  This is the tactic that Douglas is using.

I hope he's successful.
warden
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 07:12:13 PM »

Did the owner or any owner lately sue the track any time their horse broke down? For the same reason?
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 07:57:40 PM »

Did the owner or any owner lately sue the track any time their horse broke down? For the same reason?
good question,i was wondering the same, thumbs up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Klink

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 08:43:37 PM »

I'm curious how Team Douglas will lay the blame for his paralysis on the track while making sure the judge/jury igonores the 2 Ton horse that unfortuntaely landed on him.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: