Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 23, 2014, 02:56:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RACHEL ALEXANDRA,THE 50k CLAIMER  (Read 3057 times)
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2010, 10:41:47 PM »

One thing about swoop, there is no doubt in my mind that he is a true horseman.  thumbs up
Report to moderator   Logged
ZENYATTA

« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2010, 11:19:20 PM »

as far as looking foolish let hear from some other posters if look foolish or not. fair enough?

I agree swoop about Jackson looking foolish.What he did by buying RA was the same thing  a lot of rich guys do is just buy  what they want especially younger women ala Trump etc.I give him more credit for what he did in his business life to get his fortune.
The line used to be breed the best to the best and hope for the best.I doubt Jackson has figured out anything different.
If indeed $10 million was the price he paid for her.I doubt he ever shows a profit.Even bred to Curliin the foals are not gong bring in mutli millions in the current market IMO.Then if he is dumb like Paulson's kid he will set to high a reserve and be stuck with them.Too many toys in the hands of a few certain rich people ruins a sport.
Grinder

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2010, 08:18:37 PM »

One thing about swoop, there is no doubt in my mind that he is a true horseman.  thumbs up
That he is Mel, and from what I read.... a very knowledgable one at that.

Back in the early 90's we had a game runner named Western Man. Rachel's last two races remind me of many of WM's. At a mile or 1 1/16th, he would lope along near or on the front end, and when engaged by a challenger, he dug in hard and few ever passed when he was headed. I think he won 6 of his 9 by less than a neck, and was second in nearly as many, by similar margins.  I can still remember when a horse named Philadelphia Dave ( a solid 25K claimer) tried to go by, and failed.  It was Philadelphia Dave's last race.  

Duels like that take a lot out of any horse, but especially the fillies.  Bill Spawr (who liked Western Man and claimed him at least once between 20K and 40K, his level for 2 years) had a quote I will paraphrase..."The good ones fight, but unfortunately fights sometime end great horses careers".

The more you bet...the more you win
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2010, 10:19:57 PM »

Great post.   Set me to thinking.  And imagining the scenario.  Much more to think about. 

I've always wanted to own a race horse.  But I can see it's not for my temperament.

Love reading posts like this one though.  And also love reading posts from people who do or have owned race horses.  What a great forum.
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2010, 11:10:38 PM »

That he is Mel, and from what I read.... a very knowledgable one at that.

Back in the early 90's we had a game runner named Western Man. Rachel's last two races remind me of many of WM's. At a mile or 1 1/16th, he would lope along near or on the front end, and when engaged by a challenger, he dug in hard and few ever passed when he was headed. I think he won 6 of his 9 by less than a neck, and was second in nearly as many, by similar margins.  I can still remember when a horse named Philadelphia Dave ( a solid 25K claimer) tried to go by, and failed.  It was Philadelphia Dave's last race.  

Duels like that take a lot out of any horse, but especially the fillies.  Bill Spawr (who liked Western Man and claimed him at least once between 20K and 40K, his level for 2 years) had a quote I will paraphrase..."The good ones fight, but unfortunately fights sometime end great horses careers".

Well said Grinder! You are quite the horseman yourself. On top of that you provide some great life stories that make interesting reading.  thumbs up

You and Swoop have my total respect.  beer
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2010, 07:36:08 PM »

as far as looking foolish let hear from some other posters if look foolish or not. fair enough?
Swoop Daddy rules!!!

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.  Sam "The Genius" Lewin
young eye

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2010, 04:58:04 PM »

Borel said RA was best filly he has ever been on...thats enogh for me
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2010, 05:07:23 PM »

Borel said RA was best filly he has ever been on...thats enogh for me