Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 16, 2014, 10:39:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are all the horses?  (Read 2591 times)
jimk

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2006, 08:10:10 PM »

60 entries before scratches for Mon. 56 entries before scratches for Tues. Whats going on? The on track handle was worse for week two than it was for week one and it looks like this could be the worst so far. Can this meet get going after this kind of start? This must be worrying the hell out of the execs. for both ends of the haw-nat partnership. Whats it going to take to turn this around?
Report to moderator   Logged
Dan Nance

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 09:31:27 PM »

60 entries before scratches for Mon. 56 entries before scratches for Tues. Whats going on? The on track handle was worse for week two than it was for week one and it looks like this could be the worst so far. Can this meet get going after this kind of start? This must be worrying the hell out of the execs. for both ends of the haw-nat partnership. Whats it going to take to turn this around?

Look for the horses on the backside of Hawthorne were they needed to stable for the winter so they could knock the harness horseman out of their longtime winter Hawthorne meet.
CLOCKERbiggestal

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 09:48:29 PM »

Whats it going to take to turn this around?

Turf racing.

Kickers beat one-pacers almost every time.
alydar66

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 11:48:00 PM »

Hawthorne needs Oaklawn to close. 
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 12:56:54 AM »

Hawthorne closes only 2 weeks after Oaklawn does. That won't help them.
alydar66

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 11:38:52 AM »

I understand that wont help them.  But there are quite a few horses and trainers at Oaklawn right now that were a big part of Hawthornes meets in the past.  That is one of the reasons Hawthornes fields are smaller.
jimk

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 12:00:22 PM »

Today(Sun.) had 68 entries and now we get 7 early raceday scratches. How can you beat this?
muhammed

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 12:54:07 PM »

You can place the blame on Hawthorne's new management team.
When Tom Carey Jr and his dad ran the meets, they really pushed
the on-site racing experience.
In addition, both of those Careys were very pro-horsemen which is
currently not the case with the new regime.
It appears that Ed Duffy and Tim carey are in way over their heads!
agent007

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 01:58:27 PM »

Things will be better on Friday .There are alot of empty stalls and 2yr olds at the track.It has little to do with management except the fact that the backide is so gross that no owners want horses there.The purses for cheap horses are beter at Mountaineer.
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 06:32:15 PM »

In addition, both of those Careys were very pro-horsemen which is
currently not the case with the new regime.
It appears that Ed Duffy and Tim carey are in way over their heads!

but muhammed,

Tim Becker is the Director of Horsemen's Relations. MUHAHA!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 06:52:21 PM by BeauNarro » Report to moderator   Logged
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 06:39:44 PM »

Things will be better on Friday .There are alot of empty stalls and 2yr olds at the track.It has little to do with management except the fact that the backide is so gross that no owners want horses there.The purses for cheap horses are beter at Mountaineer.

Why do you say things will be better on Friday? Are you being sarcastic? LOL
I agree though with your next sentance though agent007. Whether horsemen liked the late Bob Carey or not you have to admit that the barn area, asphalt driveway back there, and barns proper were much better maintained when he was still running it back there. He really cared about making it as nice looking as possible(for horse barns). He always had the Polish lady named Gislava(sic) plant beautiful flowers and bushes along the roadway, every day they washed down and street swept the driveway, trimmed the trees, painted the hand rails and facia, etc, and it was always clean around the dumpsters..but not the same now. Maybe they don't have enough money for that either..
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 07:24:27 PM »

The real problem is Fairmount opens Tuesday. Kiss all those Fairmount horses been filling the races goodbye.

Not sure what agent007 is talking about "gross" Hawthorne backside. It is no worse (for horses) than many I've visited. Hell of a lot nicer than Mountaineer's, from what I remember of that pest hole. Not as nice as some tracks, for sure.   
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 07:43:36 PM »

Damn. I forgot about Fairmount. That's right I just read 2 articles about that, also regarding Louis O'Brein hunting for the national owner's title this year due to "what's his name" selling off most of his horses. Sorry mind blank there.
You're right Terry, alot of the stock will be leaving for the south for easier places to race. Generally the Fairmount horses don't fare that well here. I estimate that Hawthorne had about 6+ horses entered every day from down there. Bummer..
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 07:53:18 PM by BeauNarro » Report to moderator   Logged
sodgod

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 07:57:29 PM »

Beau,  What exactly does the director of horsemen's relations do?  Because it sounds as if Mo would like the back side spruced up a bit.  How about wrecking some of those brick barns that lookas if the pre date the civil war.

Thanks, Sod       mucker
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 08:08:41 PM »

sodgod,

Director of Horsemens Relations is the go between of trainers/owners/jockeys and management. I wonder if there are any trainers that come on here to tell us if their concerns are met. I've heard lots of complaints that they aren't, but I have only heard said from maybe a dozen trainers.

As far as ripping down the old barns..if properly maintained, they are as good as a new barn. The 8 metal prefab barns each cost approximately 3/4 of a million each-not cheap. It would cost about 15 million to do something like that to all the old barns, but like I said before-a proper/daily preventative maintenance program can easily keep the old barns up to snuff.
sodgod

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 08:25:15 PM »

Beau, Thank you for your answer.  I agree with your response in regard to the barns as far as maint. goes.  I guess what I'm saying is that I would prefer to have my stock housed in the newer ones if I had a choice in the matter.  The older buildings lack gutters look dark/damp and the roofs appear to be in poor condition.  How are the stalls assigned and is the rate for the older buildings cheaper?  I agree that I would be great to hear some trainers thoughts on the current condition of the back side.

Thanks Sod   
Thomas Graham

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 08:30:56 PM »

Trainers are not charged for stalls -- old barns or new barns.  Dont know how they are assigned.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »

Beau, Thank you for your answer.  I agree with your response in regard to the barns as far as maint. goes.  I guess what I'm saying is that I would prefer to have my stock housed in the newer ones if I had a choice in the matter.  The older buildings lack gutters look dark/damp and the roofs appear to be in poor condition.  How are the stalls assigned and is the rate for the older buildings cheaper?  I agree that I would be great to hear some trainers thoughts on the current condition of the back side.

Some trainers you might think would have preference back there due to to the size of their operations prefer to stay in the old barns. Centrally located, and living quarters for the help right there.
ageecee

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2006, 10:15:49 PM »

Theres a shortage of horses at almost every track not just Hawthorne..
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2006, 10:34:43 PM »

sodgod,

If you or anyone is being charged for stall spaces - it's not allowed. If it is happening you or whoever is being charged needs to go see Tim Carey at the main building and report it immediatly.

On the other part of your statement: Gutters aren't necessary if they keep the flood drains cleared and free of hay/garbage/mud; if it's to dark then maintenance needs to fix that; if the roof is leaking, again maintenance needs to fix that.
My trainer is in a newer barn because he has one of the larger stall allocations, but many actually like the old barns because of exactly what Thomas Graham said a few quotes previous to this. Also, some are creatures of old habits, and want to be put in the same barn - same end - every meet.
John Frank

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 10:29:36 PM »

How can I put this nicely. THE PLACE IS A RAT HOLE. No one attends,no one bets,except me to steal all your stupid bet money. What trainers actually barn there. All the old established,sprinked with some young. And there all building on horse earnings. when these pieces of shit have to go on and race elsewhere,you better not look at this years earnings to date. These rats will never be in the MONEY.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 11:03:27 PM »

Friday looks like an Arlington card! Seven 6 horse races in a row!

Saturday looks a whole lot better. 87 horses in; couple of entries; lot of 10, 11,12 horse fields. The good maidens and some of the other good horses are coming out of the barn, looks like. Including a number of horses that show wins and placings at Arlington. Boy, that place must be a rat hole, if Hawthorne horses can win and get into the trifectas. 
John Frank

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 11:20:53 PM »

I know your not stupid Terry. Here's a mistake they made today. They try to offer higher horses with 1 maiden race to attract bettors from out of state. They would be better off offering 5 maidens like they did Sunday to attract. Today was pityful. There up against nothing and still can't attract simulcast bettors. This is a idea. Offer a all Maiden Tuesday. Keep them off rest of week. I guarentee,(1) it is novel. (2) a lot of bettors like maiden races. (3) Offer a place pick 9 on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: