Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 29, 2014, 07:23:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help  (Read 2941 times)
jesusmurphyblind

« on: March 22, 2010, 07:01:37 PM »

I just basically rescued a horse, and he's been nearly starved to death. Just asking some opinions on the fastest way to help him put on weight, without his body going into shock from actually being fed. This poor *** head shake
Report to moderator   Logged
Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:12:25 PM »

Injectable vitamins, electrolytes-even if the quickest way to do it is to squirt a bunch of gatorade down his throat. An apple, bran mash.

A bunch of good luck to you.

TS

IT IS BETTER NOT TO ARGUE WITH A FOOL. HE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.
Buggyboy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:19:42 PM »

I am sorry to see 35 people read this post, and not 1 response, so I will give it a go....Without knowing previous history of horse, or your intentions with him, I can only suggest a few common sense remedies.  Plenty of fresh water is a must. A creek running thru a paddock is ideal, but if stalled, regularly changed buckets of water, 3x4x a day, with pail kept clean. Consult with vet on administration of electrolyte jug would be my first move. Do a blood screen and look for infections, parasites, ect....good pasture with a shaded hayrack should be provided if possible, easy on the alfalfa for awhile.......a light grain offering should be considered as well after aclimation to new surroundings. Again consult with vet on when this can be applied, and amounts, ect....make sure this horse gets to moving around, as well, either in paddock or handwalks, or both. Activity and properly applied nutrition should bring results after a few months of diligent work and observations. If the horse is a nervous sort, you have other things to consider, but it will take time to size him up.  Start with crimped oats in small doses......
Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 05:59:49 AM »

I am sorry to see 35 people read this post, and not 1 response, snip/snip

Uh--Last time I checked #2-my responce, comes before #3, your responce.

Glad to see you chimed in same as me but what is the point of the slap?

TS

IT IS BETTER NOT TO ARGUE WITH A FOOL. HE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.
fairgame

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 06:06:40 AM »

TS

I would guess he started composing his response before yours was posted and neglected to change the opening sentence despite the warning that there had been a response in the meantime.  Nine minutes may seem a long time but some of us take a long time to compose our thoughts or get interrupted by real life.
jesusmurphyblind

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 06:58:17 AM »

He stood in a stall all winter, I don't think he even got turned out. he seems to be hyrated but is a bone rack. he's a 5 yr old maiden that qualified last year and raced (poorly) just last June. I don't know how they could let him get in this poor pf shape, they said he's a fussy eater and in the last two days he's eaten everything in sight.  I know he'll probley never get 'fat' but I'd like to at least get him healthy.
THanks for your input all
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 07:19:27 AM »

Make sure you worm regularly.  Add corn oil to the feed to increase calories, 

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 08:02:27 AM »

TS

Hey Tidy Sis ...

Don't let it bother you.  This forum (especially) is supposed to be "for the good of the horse".
Keep posting; I'm sure the Thread starter appreciated your response.

Make sure you worm regularly.  Add corn oil to the feed to increase calories, 

thumbs up thumbs up  Give him corn cobs too (often) especially if he's not racing and just getting healthy.
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »

thumbs up thumbs up  Give him corn cobs too (often) especially if he's not racing and just getting healthy.
Why corn cobs?

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 06:21:14 PM »

Why corn cobs?

That wasn't clear sorry.  Feed corn on the cob.  He'll have fun eating it.
I mentioned that because Samstar said Corn oil. 
jesusmurphyblind

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 07:13:30 PM »

Raw corn cobs? Or dried? His teeth are pretty sharp and that's my next step. Ran vit/elect jugs and he is much brighter eyed. he sees happier (though it could just be my imagination) It's only been 3 days afterall. He's eating up some beetpulp and oats. If anyone has any other ideas to help him out that'd be great!
JMB
Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »

Raw corn cobs? Or dried? His teeth are pretty sharp and that's my next step. Ran vit/elect jugs and he is much brighter eyed. he sees happier (though it could just be my imagination) It's only been 3 days afterall. He's eating up some beetpulp and oats. If anyone has any other ideas to help him out that'd be great!
JMB

Thank you--for him.

May the horse be with you! medal

TS

Flirty Flo
Flirtologist

I'd introduce myself but you already know who I am

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 10:19:38 PM »

First off check his teeth to make sure he is properly utilizing the feed and hay given... then Lots of good quality hay and feed... and try adding rice bran to your feed...it is a high fat supplemental grain which will help him to pick up weight quicker and add muscle I would also suggest you power pac this horse with panacur...start smaller amounts af grain more times a day   (say x5) to help digest better and not cause colic...keep on a probiotic product to keep good gut movement...start excersise slowly ...if hes been standing in a stall try to hand walk or turn out a week before trying to jog...so he wont tie up and when you do jog start with only a lap or two.......and pray he his not too far gone...good luck.

melodyjordanracingstable.com "In it to win it"
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 07:41:44 AM »

Take it slow, it's tempting to apply all our "horsemanship knowledge" but his system may go into shock.
  Starting with fiber and fluids is the way to go.  Small servings of well-soaked beet pulp mashes with some hay cubes thrown in several times a day.  Decent quality timothy hay, nothing too rich.  Sunshine and mild exercise, a little of this new grass coming up.  SALT BLOCK, and all the fresh water he will drink.  Lots of brushing, love, and attention... his mental attitude is important.  I'ld get him stronger before worming, then I'ld start with invermectin, 3 weeks later Strongid, then 4-5 weeks later a PowerPak.  Definitely get the teeth done, top priority, and get any thrush cleaned out of the feet.

I sent off an email to our local rescue.  If anyone is expert on this subject they are.  Unlike the SRF in Jersey, they deal with really extreme cases of neglect.  These hillbillies up here in the mountains are well-hidden from prying eyes, things can get real bad before someone notices.
  I'll get back to you when I get a reply.

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 07:54:14 AM »

Very good responses on here. Beet pulp is very good, as is the corn oil for calories. As OGM said, start slow, especially with the grain. I would also give him a probiotic to get the digestive system going.
Good luck and God bless...

I know one thing for sure.  Indecision may or may not be my problem.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 07:53:28 PM »

This was the reply I got from the Rescue:

"lots of hay. All the hay that they want. Slowly bump up the grain. We start them on a half a scoop then over the next 11/2 - 2 weeks we get them up to maybe a sccop and a half. Often we use a 10% sweet feed or a senior feed to do so, We also use body builder a lot. If he is an older guy, if the teeth are bad then we may do some bran mash with senior feed soaked. In the past we may have added rice bran but we find that just a lot of hay, a good grain and the pennwoods bodybuiilder 4000 probably works the best for us."

samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 08:59:09 PM »

definitely put him on winstrol. Obviously you will have to take him off it long before you race him if he is a race horse.

servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 10:56:27 PM »

hope that horse gets healthy,,,,,,,,,AND you would be doing justice for the horse if you said who cared for this animal previously and let him get into such poor shape,,,,,,,even a phone call to animal control helps
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 07:02:41 AM »

definitely put him on winstrol. Obviously you will have to take him off it long before you race him if he is a race horse.

Winstrol for a starved horse.   I'll pass that along to the Rescue.... 

jesusmurphyblind

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 06:36:03 PM »

Thx eveyone for all your input. And the weight gain product is exactly the idea I've been looking for, OGM. I've never seen it locally but I found to order online.
Cheers
JMB
Will keep you all posted as to how he fares. I know, the people should not have animals....I sincerely believe they think that they are helping them. It is a very touchy subject. Why why why keep them if you won't look after them??
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »

Here's a link to that Rescue website.  On the menu to the right, click on "our special reasons" to see some before and after pics.  They do great work... on a very limited budget.

http://www.reasonhorserescue.com/

oh and btw, that one horse, Man of Leisure, is an off the track Standardbred.  Don't know what happened, but apparently he fell into some bad hands.  The girl who is the trainer at the Rescue, kept him for herself and I've trail ridden with them at the State Park.  He's wonderful.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:37:15 PM by OGM » Report to moderator   Logged

samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 11:39:06 AM »

Winstrol was developed to help with healing and tissue rebuilding. It wasn't developed as a performance enhancer.

Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »

Winstrol was developed to help with healing and tissue rebuilding. It wasn't developed as a performance enhancer.

That's interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

TS

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 06:49:34 AM »

I did an internet search on Winstrol and found no statements to that effect.  Can you cite a source?

"Gives distinct increase in muscle hardness and striations in people with a low body-fat percentage"  bodybuilder.com

"Used by athletes and bodybuilders to lose fat while retaining lean body mass"   ".... although it has not been proven conclusively that it has any special fat-burning properties".  anabolicsmall.com

Stimulates red blood cell count, promotes muscle growth, designed to treat anemia and certain skin conditions, causes liver damage.
=========================================

Because it artificially stimulates red cell count (thus interfering with the body's natural production), damages the liver, and probably burns fat I would think it quite obvious it would NOT be recommended for a starved animal. 
   Starved animals need FOOD.

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 07:00:55 AM »

That's interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

TS

Think about it TS...  isn't most everything developed with the intention of saving the world?  Unfortunately side effects always crop up.  You could make the same argument for giving the starved horse epogen.  ....Or pregnant women thalidomide.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: