Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 01, 2014, 06:25:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DRF-OUTRAGED!  (Read 2521 times)
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 11:07:23 AM »

Hey I'm the type who always has the PPs on my computer, but still *love* having a real Form to have with me at the track...it makes a better sound on your hand when you crack the two together trying to get the last leg of a pick-4 home Cheesy

You need to whack the outside of your thigh with it, like you're whipping the horse home. It's a tried and true higher ROI play.
Report to moderator   Logged
Horse Voice

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 11:13:08 AM »

Hey I'm the type who always has the PPs on my computer, but still *love* having a real Form to have with me at the track...it makes a better sound on your hand when you crack the two together trying to get the last leg of a pick-4 home Cheesy

Tell me you are NOT one of those program-popper d-bags!   Shocked

The finger-snapper guys are in the same category. Once I find out who their horse it, I start rooting against it...or FOR the horse that has a shot to beat it.

Yes, I'm petty...but it's f'ing hilarious. If they get beat early enough, these "Hey, world, look at ME -- I picked a $6.20 WINNER!" types usually stay pretty quiet for the rest of the day.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 11:16:23 AM »

Tell me you are NOT one of those program-popper d-bags!   Shocked

The finger-snapper guys are in the same category. Once I find out who their horse it, I start rooting against it...or FOR the horse that has a shot to beat it.

Yes, I'm petty...but it's f'ing hilarious. If they get beat early enough, these "Hey, world, look at ME -- I picked a $6.20 WINNER!" types usually stay pretty quiet for the rest of the day.

Well, at least, given Brian's connections he's probably only affecting the press box.
brianwspencer

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 11:18:45 AM »

Tell me you are NOT one of those program-popper d-bags!   Shocked

It's really a tactic saved only for the last leg of decent pick-4s....and only when I'm not working upstairs...and only when I've got no work left for the rest of the day and I'm planning on taking the train home...and it's late in the day and I've been done working for several hours and put my ticket in a few hours earlier....

You can figure that one out Cheesy
Horse Voice

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 11:25:48 AM »

It's only after a  beer...or 2  beer beer...or more  beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer

There, I think I read between the lines.

And for the record -- on those very rare occasions when I am at the track as part of a party, and not doing any serious gambling: yeah, me too.

(I need to do a little more of that this summer, I think.)
brianwspencer

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 11:32:16 AM »

LOL, exactly.
Marcus Hersh

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 04:45:10 PM »

7 fuc*in dollars i just paid for tomorrows form and on top of it the FG isnt even in there, lol instead i get beulah. guess crist needs more money to fuel his awful handicapping in these tough times

Steve Crist is the publisher of DRF. He has nothing to do with pricing the product, as far as I know. The owner of DRF is Arlington Capital Management.

But nice of you to take a shot at the man, in any case.
orioles

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 04:53:15 PM »

Grin Will there be a MIdwest Edition of the DRF at AP this summer. Last year they had one for $4.00
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 08:22:32 AM »

The form...much like the tracks...misunderstood what they were getting themselves into when they went to the "online" version...Its great for them....people use their own paper....their own ink/toner and they already had the databases created for their paper copy of the form...Great Idea right?...Not so much.....One guy buys the unlimited subscription and e-mails the form(s) out to all his friends.....Not such a great idea anymore....Hell Im sure there are some chains that have 400 or 500 people printing the form from one subscription.....I will say one thing......I can no longer use the print edition of the form since im so used to the smaller/higher quality sheets of the online version

SHOWTIME!!!
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 09:05:44 AM »

HF, that really doesn't happen.  DRF was one of the last ones to sell online PPs, BRIS, Tracknet, Equibase were already doing it, for years in some cases.  And DRF does bundles; everyone doesn't want the same bundle of tracks.  They also have the value-added Formulator which doesn't work that way.

There are also a lot of free PPs online, especially for stakes races.

Why would one person spend all that time downloading and sending to a bunch of people?  Any serious better is going to download their own, it just isn't worth the hassle to wait on someone else to save the relatively small cost.
Horse Voice

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »

HF, that really doesn't happen.

1. PDF files get passed around at contests like hot tips.

2. "You buy GP and FG, I'll buy OP and SA, and we'll trade".

3. "Your turn to buy the core tracks this week, and mail them out to the list". (Twenty people on the list.)

*Of course* it's happening, Janine -- it's the primary reason that the Formulator version isn't portable: DRF is getting robbed by what I am describing above.

Eventually, only the Formulator version will be available...and then the people that want to continue cheating will find another way.
servicetech

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 09:26:31 AM »

$7.00 bucks for the saturday form,big deal,my understanding from the note posted on the counter  at the otb. is that it is a   A.M/P.M. form,,,,,,most day cards and some evening cards,is that right,have not had the saturday form in a while,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and here is how you look at it,,,,$7  Huh  that,s the cost of a 3 horse  exacta box and a $1 quik pick,,,the cost should,nt be a problem,,,,,,,,,,,,however the price gouging is getting higher
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 09:58:16 AM »

HF, that really doesn't happen.  DRF was one of the last ones to sell online PPs, BRIS, Tracknet, Equibase were already doing it, for years in some cases.  And DRF does bundles; everyone doesn't want the same bundle of tracks.  They also have the value-added Formulator which doesn't work that way.

There are also a lot of free PPs online, especially for stakes races.

Why would one person spend all that time downloading and sending to a bunch of people?  Any serious better is going to download their own, it just isn't worth the hassle to wait on someone else to save the relatively small cost.

You download the PDF version of the forms for 15-20 tracks a day (there are no bundles when you buy the unlimited subscription......you get unlimited downlaods)....send them all at once in a zip file with one click of the button......friend gets the file and prints the tracks he wants.....with a good connection you invest about 5 minutes a day.......you get the forms a day sometimes 3 days earlier than you can in print form......if you customized packs for people it would take time.....why customize.....send them all and let them choose......relatively small cost? Its $1000 a year for the unlimited package and no real horseplayer could go any other route they would spend more money buying the bundles by far......I probably print 45-50 forms a week.....many people I know print more.....

SHOWTIME!!!
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »

Not to mention the fact that once the core pack of 20 tracks is sent out in a zip file which takes like I said about 5 minutes.....and other forwarding can be done in one mouse click.......you seriously cant believe it isnt going on widespread

SHOWTIME!!!
SandyLoam

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 10:12:03 AM »

As far as I know, DRF assigns minimal security to the PDF files. You can't easily email a file for somebody else's use unless you provide them with your username and password. Doable, but not as easy as it used to be.
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2010, 10:22:51 AM »

As far as I know, DRF assigns minimal security to the PDF files. You can't easily email a file for somebody else's use unless you provide them with your username and password. Doable, but not as easy as it used to be.

The PDF files are totally unsecured......you can e-mail them at will and nobody ever needs your username or password.....once they are saved to your PC and then uploaded in an e-mail by you Im not sure how they could ever prevent that from happening......If there is a way to secure them I would think they would

SHOWTIME!!!
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 10:38:49 AM »

What is the benefit to the person buying unlimited PPs to sending out a ginormous ZIP file every day?  Then the people receiving it have to download this huge file, unzip it, find the pages they want and print them.  Versus paying a couple bucks to get a small file of just what they want.  Not everyone is that technical.  What about those who don't print it out, but just view it on their laptop?

This is just too much work for a basic product that is easy enough and cheap enough to purchase legally.  Most of those who would be committed enough to take part in something like this are more likely to want the value-added products.

Formulator isn't portable because it has so much information.  It's all the historical data that's behind it that you are paying for, and the ability to manipulate it in the way you want.

As far as contests go, many of them do offer free or discounted PPs.  Do some paid versions get passed around?  Of course, but how many of those people would have bought them themselves if they couldn't get them free?  Don't fall for the music industry's logic.

Free product is also a way to get new customers.  BRIS used to offer unlimited free Ultimates in January and February, it was a way to get people to try them.  It certainly worked for me, and I know I'm not the only one who signed up because I got used to the free ones.  DRF also offers free races.

So basically while there may be some people doing what you say, it just doesn't make sense that it would be so widespread.

ZENYATTA

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2010, 11:07:10 AM »

I do believe it also widespread.I am part of a group that gets all the pp's for most harness tracks.It is up to me to decide which ones to use.
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2010, 12:20:38 PM »

What is the benefit to the person buying unlimited PPs to sending out a ginormous ZIP file every day?  Then the people receiving it have to download this huge file, unzip it, find the pages they want and print them.  Versus paying a couple bucks to get a small file of just what they want.  Not everyone is that technical.  What about those who don't print it out, but just view it on their laptop?

This is just too much work for a basic product that is easy enough and cheap enough to purchase legally.  Most of those who would be committed enough to take part in something like this are more likely to want the value-added products.

Formulator isn't portable because it has so much information.  It's all the historical data that's behind it that you are paying for, and the ability to manipulate it in the way you want.

As far as contests go, many of them do offer free or discounted PPs.  Do some paid versions get passed around?  Of course, but how many of those people would have bought them themselves if they couldn't get them free?  Don't fall for the music industry's logic.

Free product is also a way to get new customers.  BRIS used to offer unlimited free Ultimates in January and February, it was a way to get people to try them.  It certainly worked for me, and I know I'm not the only one who signed up because I got used to the free ones.  DRF also offers free races.

So basically while there may be some people doing what you say, it just doesn't make sense that it would be so widespread.

Let me try to respond

1) the benefit is money......they recoup part or in many cases way more then they spend on the subscription for 5 minutes work a day

2) you dont have to carry a ginormous zip file around with you.....like I said it takes 5 minutes to create......you attach multiple PDFs to an email and the email provider automatically sends them as a zip file......

3) any e-mail provder automatically unzips the file in a matter of 3 seconds and puts all the individual forms in a neat little folder for you

4) what difference does it make if they print it or view it.....it still costs the same to download

5) you act as if nobody bets more than one track once a week.....there are people who play 10-12 tracks a day on the weekends......and people who love to look for certain conditions on races.....I have a friend who scans almost every track every day looking for certain types of races he historically has a big edge in....

If one subscriber sends it to 5 people and they all send it to 3 and those to 3 more......which is a very small chain......thats 66 people getting PPs off of one account.....And you're right not all those epeople would have bought the print edition (especially on a slow day)......but on Saturdays many of them would have to have bought 3 editions to get all the tracks that they play
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:23:18 PM by HarnessFanDE » Report to moderator   Logged

SHOWTIME!!!
tautog

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2010, 02:18:59 PM »

Where have you guys been it's been $7 on Saturday for around 6 months or so. Plus if you buy it at a newsstand any day but Saturday there was only 4 tracks it has been increasing.

You wouldn't believe how many people who wager hundreds and refuse to buy a subscription that's their choice. I like the ability to get what I want WHEN I WANT and not depend on anyone. I believe theft is widespread and I'm not criticizing it as it's no different than downloading a song.

I have a link somewhere that will give you 10 DRF basics online for $10 you have to use it within 10 days (not sure) works out to $1 a track. If you want me to post it leave me a PM because it's becoming harder and harder to sort out the "hatred" here haven't been logging on so much. This is a good thread all racing stuff wish that ratio would be at 100%  thumbs up
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 02:58:32 PM »

What would a breezy day on the apron of Anytrack, USA, be, without those unbound oversized pages of the DRF constantly blowing away?

I NEED my DRF complete form.  If I had to end up just printing PPS, I'd give up on horse racing.  It's just all part of the tradition for me. 

I'm not into any high tech stuff.  I mean, I have one of those Little round things that run around like a robot and clean under my bed and furniture when I'm not home, and I have  a cell phone for emergencies, a GPS in my car, but that's as far as I want to go.

I LOVE the DRF and don't mind the ink all over me.
bello

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 04:04:51 PM »

Well the day may be approaching you will not get the print copy any more.

In the State of Virginia, whether it be the Colonial Downs racetrack ot the OTB's if you want a DRF card you have one of 2 choices.

1. Buy it online and print it yourself

2. Use a DRF Kiosk and print it for $1.50 a card.

The day they eliminate the print DRF in August in Saratoga should be the day they end thorughbred racing. Nothing like buying the form Downtown and preparing the night before or all morning for the races. Yeah, I guess the Kiosk will offer the same data.....but the Spa without a real form is no Spa at all
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 04:14:01 PM »

I SO agree.
ChrissyTina

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 10:53:40 PM »

I love my ink running copy of the DRF! I feel naked without it at the track or the OTB. Everything I need to know for the days races right there in my hands. No need to spend time searching on the web, followed by printing page after page of pps eating up my printer ink. Besides the articles and past performances I always love to compare my picks with the pro handicappers in the DRF.

Brian has seen my DRF. He knows how serious and COLORFUL I can make the form. LOL

"Never let a win get to your head, or a loss to your heart."
brianwspencer

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 10:58:23 PM »

I love my ink running copy of the DRF! I feel naked without it at the track or the OTB. Everything I need to know for the days races right there in my hands. No need to spend time searching on the web, followed by printing page after page of pps eating up my printer ink. Besides the articles and past performances I always love to compare my picks with the pro handicappers in the DRF.

Brian has seen my DRF. He knows how serious and COLORFUL I can make the form. LOL

Lol, colored tabs on the side to specific races, all kinds of notes...it's really a treat to see Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: