Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 29, 2014, 11:27:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT: Canine Oral Surgery  (Read 805 times)
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2010, 12:21:30 PM »

Besides my beloved horses, I have beloved dogs.  The oldest stray which I have had for many years required Oral Surgery today.  His teefeths have been bad since I've inherited him and despite (pretty routine) maintenance surgery was required.  The bill was quoted at $665; I'll know the actual damages when I pick him up later today.

Good news is he survived.  Bad news is the bill and he needs dentures.
Tell me I'm not the only animal lover that would do this for a 16 YO dog. 
Report to moderator   Logged
King Nothing

Goodtimes

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:19:20 PM »

Congrats on getting him to 16 first and foremost. My girl has some growth on her back, it was a cyst that was under the skin, got hard for years and started to grow recently. Tested the cells and it's a keratin based growth, not cancer but needs to be removed because it's ruptured the skin. Bottom line tests and antibiotics $200, surgery $400, so yeah i get it. My boy has auto immune disease, treatment hasn't been too expensive but it adds up. He's just come off the prednisone and doing well, fingers crossed. Just spent $900 saving a mare who had a terrible reaction to banamine (mouth swelled up like a cantaloupe) when she had some colic issues, if i hadn't gave her the banamine it wouldn't have cost me nothing. The dogs have been fairly inexpensive for years so i guess over 7 years it's not too bad. Good luck with him, i get it, my boy and girl are like kids and every day with them is a blessing from now on i have learned. Bless you for your caring and your loved ones ...
 thumbs up thumbs up

Then it all crashes down
And you break your crown
And you point your finger
But there's no one around

King Nothing
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »

Thanks King ... your post sure did inspire me and gave me perspective too.

I wish the best for all the ones you care for -- holy moly -- we putting our paws and hooves together and sending pet prayers your way!

I've lost so many pure bred dogs during my life to diseases that I swore off dogs for a long time.  Now I've got two strays and this older hound dog just keeps going and going and going.  I think it's the survival instinct of a stray and/or the comfort of finding a good home.  I'm happy to keep him and hope he doesn't leave me any time soon.  Teeth or no teeth. Grin

Tx.
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »

I spent over $500 for a floppy ear that still flops ;-)  But at least it doesn't hurt her anymore.

Haven't had teeth problems with the dogs, just the cats.  Cats do fine without teeth, can even eat dry pellets although they are more likely to pop out and clutter the floor around the dish.  Can't you just soak the dry food or switch to a moist diet for the dog?

Our old dog had a fatty tumor on his chest that ruptured.  Don't remember how much that cost, he was @11 at the time and lived another 3 years, even with a heart murmur so bad the vet used to call in the interns to listen.
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 06:56:03 PM »

Another inspiring post ... Thanks Janine!

I imagine one floppy ear gives your dog character, sounds adorable.  Dogs have a real high tolerance for pain so you have to be proactive about what is hurting them.  My hound has been on moist food for awhile and until his wounds heal I'm making him a mash with cheese toppings (he loves cheese).  I'm sure he'll manage, he's tough.  The pain pills make him walk like a drunken sailor and he just stops frozen totally disoriented.  Very cute.

I'm allergic to cats so don't have any at home.  Just the barn cats that seem to live forever and eat everything and are immune to everything! LOL.

Sorry about your old dog, sounds like you took good care of him for a long time.  It will be hard to lose this one for me, but I'm prepared.  We've a good long run. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: