Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 21, 2014, 11:17:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sears gets ticket  (Read 2823 times)
njhorseman

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2006, 07:46:18 PM »

Paul, don't feel bad sooner or later all owners bust out of the business. Speaking of tips. I would tip Morgan 3 or 4 hundred and then the next week he would tank me with the same horse at 3-5. It happened a few times. I learned my lesson and stiffed Morgan out of a tip on Super Night when he won with Broadway Baby.

Dan:
Why is it that you describe an owner who retires from the business as a "bust out," but when you retired from the business you were, well, retiring, because "it's dead game laddies"?  A little inconsistent, don't you think?  Huh
Report to moderator   Logged
njhorseman

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2006, 07:48:35 PM »

Paul, don't feel bad sooner or later all owners bust out of the business. Speaking of tips. I would tip Morgan 3 or 4 hundred and then the next week he would tank me with the same horse at 3-5. It happened a few times. I learned my lesson and stiffed Morgan out of a tip on Super Night when he won with Broadway Baby.

Dan:
By the way, I NEVER tipped drivers, who get 5% for 2 minutes of work. The trainers and grooms do all the work to prepare the horse for racing, and they got the tips.
Dan Nance

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2006, 08:07:53 PM »

Dan:
By the way, I NEVER tipped drivers, who get 5% for 2 minutes of work. The trainers and grooms do all the work to prepare the horse for racing, and they got the tips.

Paul, most of my owners all tipped the drivers. The tips for the grooms were set up like this and agreed to by all my owners.

Win....$100
  Second..$50
  Third... $25   

The tips for the grooms were added on the training bills at the end of the month. I told my owners don't worry about tipping me. Some tipped me anyway some didn't.
njhorseman

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006, 08:31:28 PM »

Paul, most of my owners all tipped the drivers. The tips for the grooms were set up like this and agreed to by all my owners.

Win....$100
  Second..$50
  Third... $25   

The tips for the grooms were added on the training bills at the end of the month. I told my owners don't worry about tipping me. Some tipped me anyway some didn't.

Dan:
I usually tipped the groom an additional amount beyond what was added to the bill, which was only for a win, by the way. If the groom had done an exceptionally good job all year, I'd also give an additional gift at Christmas.
Dan Nance

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006, 08:45:42 PM »

Dan:
I usually tipped the groom an additional amount beyond what was added to the bill, which was only for a win, by the way. If the groom had done an exceptionally good job all year, I'd also give an additional gift at Christmas.

Paul
         You wouldn't believe what SN and I did for our grooms and how much we put out of our own pockets above and beyond what the owners did. And then only to have alot of them run around and backstab us and and talk about us behind our backs. One groom busted one of our horses on the head with something and put the horses eye out becuase we had to fire him for charging stuff at Siegal's and giving the stuff to his dad who was a trainer.

Great people living great lives.   
njhorseman

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2006, 09:42:43 PM »

Paul
         You wouldn't believe what SN and I did for our grooms and how much we put out of our own pockets above and beyond what the owners did. And then only to have alot of them run around and backstab us and and talk about us behind our backs. One groom busted one of our horses on the head with something and put the horses eye out becuase we had to fire him for charging stuff at Siegal's and giving the stuff to his dad who was a trainer.

Great people living great lives.   

Dan:
Nothing that bad ever happened to one of mine, but one night we were shipping a mare I owned down to Garden State Park, and when we got there the paddock judge told us to call the presiding judge immediately. It seems that a disgruntled groom, who mistakenly thought I had ratted him out to the trainer for something he did, had called in a scratch of the mare. However, to prevent false scratches, NJ required that you give the trainer's  social security number to the judge when you called in a scratch.  The groom didn't quite get the number right, and the judge didn't scratch the horse based on the phone call.
Dan Nance

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2006, 09:47:01 PM »

Dan:
Nothing that bad ever happened to one of mine, but one night we were shipping a mare I owned down to Garden State Park, and when we got there the paddock judge told us to call the presiding judge immediately. It seems that a disgruntled groom, who mistakenly thought I had ratted him out to the trainer for something he did, had called in a scratch of the mare. However, to prevent false scratches, NJ required that you give the trainer's  social security number to the judge when you called in a scratch.  The groom didn't quite get the number right, and the judge didn't scratch the horse based on the phone call.

It's amazing all the nonsence that goes on in the business.
SUPERMAN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2006, 09:59:37 PM »

Dan:

Next time pay the groom on time.
clown town

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2006, 02:40:38 AM »

HEEDE,
SPEAK THE TRUTH, WAS ANDY PISSED THAT NOBODY EVER GIVES HIM A TICKET IN THE CIRCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE THING IS FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 CLAIMER OF THE BARN TO WIRE STABLE, WOULD NEVER PASS A TICKET TO ANY DRIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS CHEAP *** IS LOOKING FOR THE DIME THAT FELL OUT OF HIS POCKET, WHEN HE WENT TO TIP THE WAITRESS A "WHOPPING $5.00 ON HIS 200.00 BILL AT HUGO'S IN NAPERVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTHING PERSONAL , JUST GOOD  HUMOR  maroon maroon rat
swoodall

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2006, 04:08:33 AM »

Are we talking about tipping after every win and the owner betting every start or are we talking about tipping after a win that the trainer gave us a heads up that the horse would race good?  I tipped Marvin right in the winners circle with a $50 win ticket and Flapper paid 30 to win once(most of his wins were around 7-9 dollars).  I was told by Earl before the race that Flapper should race good and was worth a bet.  Earl would give me money to bet for him to win and place and I bet for the grooms myself.  If I had bet the same way every start though I would be in a soup line right now.

Eric never told me when one of my horses would win and neither did Ryan Dailey or Greg Powell.  Their lips were sealed.  Erv always gave me an honest opinion on how he thought my horse would race but he never said directly that they would be worth a bet.  If he thought that they should "Race well with this bunch"  then I took that as a sign to bet since he rarely was wrong with his assessments.  I didn't have many wins total with Erv and Eric but I did get a lot of purse checks.  I would of been much better off had I tipped after a rare win instead of buying grooms win bets.  Live and learn the hard way,  that's my motto.
njhorseman

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2006, 09:55:30 AM »

Next time pay the groom on time.

Superschmuck:
This groom didn't take care of any of my horses, and it's the trainer's job to pay him.
Heede

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2006, 04:43:31 PM »

I saw John Carver give Lavern 2k in the winners circle at spk on Governed Angel.  Carv make 35k through
the windows that night.

Heede
Harness fan

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2006, 12:11:31 AM »

Congrats on the little post that could...over 1000 hits and rolling!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: