Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 23, 2014, 11:25:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uveitus/Moon Blindness  (Read 1381 times)
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2010, 07:30:06 AM »

Over the years there have been 3 riding horses in my area that got it. This new farm I'm at has several old horses that certain people (a couple from the track) have boarded and then essentially dumped on this old man.  One is a gorgeous jet black Connemara pony, blind in both eyes.  An elderly Standardbred recently started tearing in one eye and now I see the cloud and he appears blind in it.  The owners are aware.   Before you start jumping on me like it's my responsibility, just know I am now feeding out of my pocket the 3 oldest ones who were really getting poor looking.  I carry hot water to the barn, bring them into stalls, and make them each a mash with alfalfa cubes/bran/and beet pulp.  I don't think they can chew the poor quality hay the old man feeds.  (Old man is totally broke and overwhelmed with these horses that CERTAIN RACETRACK PEOPLE HAVE DUMPED ON HIM AND I HOPE YOU SCUMBAGS ARE READING THIS 'CAUSE YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND THE WHOLE WORLD WILL KNOW ALSO PRETTY SOON!)
   Anyway, don't get me started on that just yet.
   The point of this topic is:  I did a lot of research on uveitus several years ago when a friend's horse got it.  I've never seen this theory anywhere, but I'm wondering if it could be caused by a vitamin/mineral deficiency?  Always seems to occur at the end of winter to undernourished unhealthy looking horses.  (My friend's horse was one she "rescued", I guess too late)  I feed my personal riding horses a small amount of grain so they eat the vit/min supplement I add to it.  Other than that they are on decent quality timothy hay and they are very healthy including the 27 year old who can spot a cat on the hill on the other side of the pasture.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:57:36 AM by OGM » Report to moderator   Logged

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 07:49:05 AM »

Ok I can't help it 'cause now I'm wound up.  What do you think of someone who "totally LOVES my horses", yet has only shown her face once in the 3 months I've been here (lives less than 5 miles away).  Her horses are the 2 bullies who get all the feed.  Both of them pick on that blind pony, one actually backs across the field just to kick him even after he's already been chased from the hay.  (I hay him in the arena when I'm done with it and turn one of my Standardbreds, who is very kind, out there to keep him company.  I tried stalling him, but he starts to panic).
  This woman takes the attitude that since her horses have decent weight, she has nothing to be concerned about.  The problem is the other horses don't get their fair share, but she doesn't care about that and why should she?  She doesn't have to see it every day.
  We bring her one horse in a stall at night so the others can get some relief... which means since I'm trying to get this place cleaned up, I have to clean that stall every day.
   The one day she showed up with her big mouth flapping away, I had all I could do not to smack her with the shovel.  She's one of these people who thinks if she talks loud and long enough she can just bulldoze over everyone.  Has this old man totally cowed.  When the track re-opens and I have to see her every day, this shit is going to come to a head real soon.  The old man may be cowed, I'm a different story.
  I also think from comments the old man has made, that she is one of the ones behind in her rent, but I don't want to openly accuse her of that until I know for sure.
  All I know is, when I see her horses go after that pony, if I had a gun I could shoot both those pigs with no remorse.
Report to moderator   Logged

samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »

Ok I can't help it 'cause now I'm wound up.  What do you think of someone who "totally LOVES my horses", yet has only shown her face once in the 3 months I've been here (lives less than 5 miles away).  Her horses are the 2 bullies who get all the feed.  Both of them pick on that blind pony, one actually backs across the field just to kick him even after he's already been chased from the hay.  (I hay him in the arena when I'm done with it and turn one of my Standardbreds, who is very kind, out there to keep him company.  I tried stalling him, but he starts to panic).
  This woman takes the attitude that since her horses have decent weight, she has nothing to be concerned about.  The problem is the other horses don't get their fair share, but she doesn't care about that and why should she?  She doesn't have to see it every day.
  We bring her one horse in a stall at night so the others can get some relief... which means since I'm trying to get this place cleaned up, I have to clean that stall every day.
   The one day she showed up with her big mouth flapping away, I had all I could do not to smack her with the shovel.  She's one of these people who thinks if she talks loud and long enough she can just bulldoze over everyone.  Has this old man totally cowed.  When the track re-opens and I have to see her every day, this shit is going to come to a head real soon.  The old man may be cowed, I'm a different story.
  I also think from comments the old man has made, that she is one of the ones behind in her rent, but I don't want to openly accuse her of that until I know for sure.
  All I know is, when I see her horses go after that pony, if I had a gun I could shoot both those pigs with no remorse.

An anger management program sound like the solution.  (The question is do the horse need it or do you need it?)

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »

Maybe people who take responsibility for their horses would do it.  Sorry, I'm sick of this weather, and I'm sick and tired of taking care of other people's horses who would starve otherwise.
  How about the fact that I had to spend time last night after feeding my horses to thaw out a water pipe so the old horses would have water in their water tank?  The person who is supposed to be taking care of these horses stated they could just eat snow. 
  You wonder why I'm f***king pissed?  I'm digging out of the snow, too, I still take care of my animals.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:37:37 PM by OGM » Report to moderator   Logged

Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:52:12 PM »

Maybe people who take responsibility for their horses would do it.  Sorry, I'm sick of this weather, and I'm sick and tired of taking care of other people's horses who would starve otherwise.
  How about the fact that I had to spend time last night after feeding my horses to thaw out a water pipe so the old horses would have water in their water tank?  The person who is supposed to be taking care of these horses stated they could just eat snow. 
  You wonder why I'm f***king pissed?  I'm digging out of the snow, too, I still take care of my animals.
I understand the frustration.

Day before yesterday four horses, two paints and two bays, as well as a red bull--Santa Gertrudis type--showed up at my hay feeders. They broke down one of my range fences to get here. Looked like it was a good idea--real skin and bones--all five. Too much winter hair to read their brands. So they will share with ours until I can figure who they belong to. Because it is the right thing to do.

Everyone and everybody has to be somewhere.

For the most part we are in this business because we truly care for our animals. We may get totally frustrated, completely pissed, somewhat murderous and slightly suicidal. But at the end of the day the true horsemen and women are going to do the right thing. And fantisize about getting even with with the ***hole. After everyone is fed and watered.

At least in my humble opinion.

And above all DON"T LET THE BASTARDS GET YOU DOWN. 

TS

IT IS BETTER NOT TO ARGUE WITH A FOOL. HE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:44:48 AM »

Hang in there OGM, winter will be over soon.  The snow will melt and everything will get green before you know it.  I heard that the more animals you care for on earth, the more pets you get to have in Heaven. 

Love your post TS ... and generousity 

I understand the frustration.

1st Half of Quote:

Day before yesterday four horses, two paints and two bays, as well as a red bull--Santa Gertrudis type--showed up at my hay feeders. They broke down one of my range fences to get here. Looked like it was a good idea--real skin and bones--all five. Too much winter hair to read their brands. So they will share with ours until I can figure who they belong to. Because it is the right thing to do.

Everyone and everybody has to be somewhere.
Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 07:55:59 AM »

Hang in there OGM, winter will be over soon.  The snow will melt and everything will get green before you know it.  I heard that the more animals you care for on earth, the more pets you get to have in Heaven.  
Love your post TS ... and generousity  

Thank you! AND Thank you!

TS
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:58:01 AM by Tidy Sister » Report to moderator   Logged

IT IS BETTER NOT TO ARGUE WITH A FOOL. HE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 08:05:54 AM »

Thank you! AND Thank you!

TS

You inspired that ... and yes it was meant for you too!
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 06:20:27 AM »

thumbs up 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:23:05 AM by OGM » Report to moderator   Logged

oldschool

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 12:59:26 PM »

good posts. When you need to vent like that we understand. We jokingly (but not really) call our farm Full Moon Farm, home to throw aways and toss aways, be it horse, dog, cat or goat. Not sure how many I want to see in heaven though, I was thinking that's when I'd actually get a real vacation!!!!
Suicide_Mare

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 07:53:02 AM »

good posts. When you need to vent like that we understand. We jokingly (but not really) call our farm Full Moon Farm, home to throw aways and toss aways, be it horse, dog, cat or goat. Not sure how many I want to see in heaven though, I was thinking that's when I'd actually get a real vacation!!!!

The way I understand it oldschool is that when you get to Heaven you have choices about pets because you were such an earthly caregiver.  The more you took care of the more you are allowed.  But, if you don't want any ... that's fine too.  Your old pet can be a "starter pet" for someone else.   Grin   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: