Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 17, 2014, 02:43:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lasix and cold weather...  (Read 1009 times)
Harness fan

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2006, 04:52:58 AM »

Does anyone have any opinions as to lasix having a better effect during cold VS. warm weather ie, recent lasix horses performing better during the winter months as opposed to the Summer ones...thanks
Report to moderator   Logged
justpacinby

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 07:45:46 AM »

I have found that horses tend to bleed over lasix more during the winter than in the summer.  It seems like lasix does not work as well when the cold air is blowing down a horses nose.  I am a big beleiver that the cold air makes bleeders.  I have had several young horse whom never bled all summer and as soon as winter comes, they bleed.   I am also a big believer that you should supplement horses with Vitamin K to thicken the blood and prevent bleeding during the winter.  IT WORKS.  I even had a horse that was allergic to lasix and Vitamin K kept him from bleeding.
LVd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 10:29:35 AM »

I agree with justpacinby. But, you have to remember ,it seems the horse is more susceptible to mucous in the colder months. when the mucous is there they will bleed more.
  I had an incidence about 20 or so years ago where one of my horses was administered Lasix on a very Hot summer day and I believe it was the reason he died. he never made it to the race paddock. He got wobbly. What had happened was that his kidneys, for some reason, had shut down.We couldn't save him thru all of the vets and my efforts.
DawgPound

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 06:03:43 PM »

It is likely that lasix works better in hot or warmer weather than cool or cold weather, but maybe not.   

The possibility that a horse could bleed over lasix may be due to the moisture in the air and not due to an actual "bleed".  Cool or cold air is dry air, thus less moisture to for airways (nasal passages, gutteral pouches, trachea, bronchii, etc).  The airway (trachea - whether it be horse or human) needs moisture otherwise the tissue becomes too dry bringing capillaries (small blood vessels near the suface of tissue) closer to the surface of the tissue.  When the dried out tissue is irritated via forced excercise, environmental contaminates like dust or limestone, the capillaries could "bleed through" similar to getting a nose bleed, which are more likely during cold weather. 

Cold weather also dehydrates a horse (or human), in that the horse is likely to drink less water (either not thirsty or the bucket is frozen, therefore water is not available).  I believe it is just as important to provide electrolytes in the winter months as the summer months.  The electroyte added to the horses water will allow the water to remain unfrozen longer therefore available for the horse to drink and when ingested the horse will retain more water due to the salts in the electrolyte. 

Also I think horses tend to be warmed up less when they race in the winter, thus increased stress on muscles and tendons.  This additional stress could possibly lead to increased "bleeding" in the winter.

I've had horses that raced worse on lasix, possibly due to allergic reaction to the drug, or as in the case of LVd horse, kidney damage.  In that case I would also suspect the liver was also involved as one of the body's two filters.  If either of these organs shut down or don't function properly, toxins in the system build quickly and will lead to the demise of the animal rapidly.

Sorry to hear about your horse LVd, its happened to me as well.
Harness fan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 06:50:56 PM »

Sorry that this post brought up such tragic stories, I am sorry for your losses. The posts however are very informative and and not just for horses but humans as well! Very intelligent posts...
bettor2belucky

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 07:46:12 PM »

DawgPound,
   You are dead on with your statements..........usually lower water intake during the winter months

Bettor

"A government big enough to give you everything you want,is a government big enough to take away everything you have."  Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the President I can afford better." Barack Hussein Obama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: