Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 02:06:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whoa read this right now.  (Read 1517 times)
tankin

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2010, 06:07:04 PM »

now i got your attention,i need help.i have a horse ive had all winter.skinny when i got him.hes ready to qualify but still a little skinny.he gets a half a scoop of trotter and half a scoop of pacer in the am,same at lunch with a scoop of mash and a scoop of trotter and a scoop of pacer at nite.i feed him enuff hay so he turns some down.what the *** do i have to do to put weight on this cockroach?
Report to moderator   Logged
Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:14:20 PM »

Worming??

TS

IT IS BETTER NOT TO ARGUE WITH A FOOL. HE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.
tankin

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »

yes i wormed him but maybe not enuff.in october when i got him,prolly around dec and then 1st week in march.maybe not enuff?whats more important pounding the feed to them or worming?pacer good feed?
Flirty Flo
Flirtologist

I'd introduce myself but you already know who I am

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:24:35 PM »

Send him to me...I'll fatten him up. ...lol...JK   That grain is TERRIBLE!!! get yourself a better quality hay and grain...try adding ricebran which is a high fat supplemental grain...it averages out to about a dollar a day...check   his teeth.   does he carry a low red count??? Ulcers???

melodyjordanracingstable.com "In it to win it"
King Nothing

Goodtimes

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:09:25 AM »

Worming makes a huge difference on some, make sure he's had the tapeworm wormer as well. If he'll eat it the cheapest and safest way to put weight on is to add corn oil, a little at a time and build up to 1/4 cup twice a day. No protein/carbs so horse won't tie up or get hot or colic, corn oil is supposed to be good for the stomach as well. Horses on oil tie up less as well and it burns when the carbs are gone later in the mile they say so they have more reserve. Cocosoya and rice bran work as well but corn oil is the cheapest. Start slow, can give them the runs if you give too much to soon but i never had a problem.

Then it all crashes down
And you break your crown
And you point your finger
But there's no one around

King Nothing
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 07:49:29 AM »

Try top dressing with Calf Manna.  High fat, probiotics, biotin... all included.  Since you called him a cockroach, I assume your attitude around him.... (oh  WTF!!!???   I just noticed this is tankin!)  well there ya go, maybe he's just stressed out because he has an idiot taking care of him.  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:52:22 AM by OGM » Report to moderator   Logged

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 07:58:53 AM »

Ulcers maybe?

You can order Stomach Soother (papaya juice) from Big Dee's or make your own from fresh papaya. Rice bran, beet pulp, cocasoya or corn oil as mentioned all good. Worming with the tapeworm stuff is important. Do pull blood.
Good luck.

I know one thing for sure.  Indecision may or may not be my problem.
sparky

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 04:07:27 PM »

Get him a 5 day power pac wormer, they sell them at big dees..about 50 bucks.  Makes a world of difference in a short time.  Also maybe check thyroid.  plays a big role in their weight. I power pac EVERY horse before I put them back in training and keep most on a rotating basis of thyroid.  I feed Ultium, purina product.  Expense but well worth it.
tankin

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 04:56:39 PM »

Try top dressing with Calf Manna.  High fat, probiotics, biotin... all included.  Since you called him a cockroach, I assume your attitude around him.... (oh  WTF!!!???   I just noticed this is tankin!)  well there ya go, maybe he's just stressed out because he has an idiot taking care of him.  
hey ogm,i was wondering,do you have some groundworking program you probably think would work to put weight on?kind of like the one that you said can calm an aged racehorse down,you *** whack job.i really feel bad for any owner who is paying you a training bill.you should go but your nose into some one elses business that you dont think is taking care of their horse properly.hey let me give you just a little advice.stick to the riding horses cause you should not be any where near a racehorse.
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »

Hey, I'm not the one coming on here asking how to fatten a horse up....  LOL 

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »

hey ogm,i was wondering,do you have some groundworking program you probably think would work to put weight on?kind of like the one that you said can calm an aged racehorse down,you ***in whack job.i really feel bad for any owner who is paying you a training bill.you should go but your nose into some one elses business that you dont think is taking care of their horse properly.hey let me give you just a little advice.stick to the riding horses cause you should not be any where near a racehorse.

Hmmm Cannae Barron Meadowlands last night (26th) race 4.  Methods seem to have worked on him.  Read the magazine article in January Hoofbeats.  
  Ask Jimmy or Donna Marshall what a nice horse he is now to be around.. off and on the track.  That owner still calls me and thanks me.... and I thank him for allowing me the time necessary to do the job right.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:03:54 PM by OGM » Report to moderator   Logged

fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 11:26:16 PM »

After you power pac him  have your vet do a fecal on him to see if he still has worms. If so power him again.
Feed fat cat. (Big D)Also get him on ulcer guard. Some vet will have the generic tubes for about 20 dollars.
Does he like his grain cooked. Cook the oats lots of water.
Has some one had him on Epo?Huh
Check his blood count to see if he is an anemic and his thyroid. If he has hypo thyroid his metabolism is not working properly.
Call the tooth fairy to get his teeth done.
Lots of time in the pen does he have a friend?
Take down a board in the stall and give him a friend you would be surprised how well this works. Take him home a couple of days and see if he likes green grass.With his friend.
Make sure you look in his mouth good for ulcers if he has them in his mouth he has them in is stomach.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: