Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 09:58:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst Race Meets  (Read 1269 times)
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:51:05 AM »

We have a thread on the best race meets, what about the worst. Here are my top 5.

1) Mountaineer: They're open mostly all year and I put them #1 because of the backside. It's horrible! Stalls too small, can barley hot walk a horse back there. Hurt horses and crooked trainers. Hard to get to. Safety of the horses is my concern, IMHO. Lots of break downs.  No Blackjack tables last time I was there! I just don't like it there. 

2) Hoosier: See above. Back side a little better.

3) Turfway Park: Have you guys ever seen a "dry" day at the meet? Snow, sleet, rain, wind. Worst race caller of all time (Mike Battaglia).

4.) Fairmont Park: You guys knew it was gonna be on this list. lol.

5.) Gulstream Park: I haven't been to the new one yet but it makes this list based on what others have said. "Terrible racing atmosphere" and it "looks like a mall."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:55:09 AM by ChitownSteve75 » Report to moderator   Logged

ZENYATTA THE GREAT! NOT RA!
brianwspencer

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:53:31 AM »

5.) Gulstream Park: I haven't been to the new one yet but it makes this list based on what others have said. "Terrible racing atmosphere" and it "looks like a mall."

I never got to go to the old one, but the new one is terribly unfriendly for horseplayers. Tiny grandstand, very strangely laid out....not a fan at all.
Report to moderator   Logged
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 12:33:26 PM »

1.Aqueduct (inner track)
2.Beulah
3.Hoosier
4.Hawthorne(both),Calder(summer)TIE
5.Louisiana Downs
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »

The worst I have ever attended has to be the Brown County, SD, fair.
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 02:06:46 PM »

Santa Cruz County Fair, Sonoita, Arizona.
I swear 90% of the time there's a dust storm there.
Also Calder, Charles Town and all the tracks in Texas bore the crap out of me.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »

Santa Cruz County Fair, Sonoita, Arizona.

Really? I had a great time there. Beautiful day, fun crowd, fantastic scenery, and of course, Anna Barrio.

In Texas, Sam Houston's not bad, and the Fredericksburg Fair can be good at times.

Lone Star is the only track in America more generic whitebread than Arlington, with even worse Mexican food if you can believe that. Retama is just sad ... such a nice place, and so lifeless. Manor Downs - forgettable, but the only game in Austin, so what else can you do?
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 10:56:54 PM »

I'll say Sunland.   
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 12:19:24 AM »

Calexpo harness embarrassing.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 04:55:56 PM »

dunno how u can put hoosier in there steve being a handicapper/owner that you are. they beefed up security on the backside a few years so who in the hell doesnt want a level playing field in any aspect of the game? while fairmount definately is nothing special to look at(actually quite sad) and the backstretch is horrible and the purses are cheap you can still have a good time out there on a friday/saturday night(day racing shouldnt be allowed, lol way too ugly for it) and get drunk cheap in the process. turfway park im guessin youre referrin to the winter meet only? nnslim i agree on your top 2, i despise the inner meet@aqu and beulah park is dreadful this time of year as it is with the weather but even worse they make 2500 claimers run two mile races for their horrific pots
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:05:00 PM by afitzpatricks#1fan » Report to moderator   Logged
Moni for free

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 05:03:03 PM »

Calexpo harness embarrassing.
Don't pick on Scott E.. good peeps...

really.. the worst racemeet?  the Northampton Mass. fair... where else could Zippy Chippy be 2/5 in career race #100 with a career record of 0-99
cashman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 07:38:47 PM »

Don't pick on Scott E.. good peeps...

really.. the worst racemeet?  the Northampton Mass. fair... where else could Zippy Chippy be 2/5 in career race #100 with a career record of 0-99

Did Zippy Chippy ever win a race? I remember seeing that horse race at Finger Lakes a couple times.
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 12:40:07 AM »

Wings I would never pick on Scott I find his race calls funny and very entertaining. I can't understand why he is so picked on.
I should have said ashamed. I have never seen so many off or lame horses on a card. Just pathetic.
I just can't understand people in the racing industry putting up with it.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
mel4600

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 01:16:06 AM »

Without a doubt, Blue Ribbon Downs.
The_Knight_Sky

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »

From the oh-how-the-mighty-have-fallen category:

The Meadowlands Thoroughbred meet.

This used to be an exciting Labor Day to mid-December meet
when I first started out in the 1980's.   This meet had quality horses
stabled on the grounds.  Now the meet proceeds with no backstretch stabling
but with everyone vanning in on race day.

Over the past 15 years, the NJ thoroughbred horsemen,
the riders, the tracks, the state have all but ruined
what attracted me to thoroughbred racing at my home track.

Sad but true.  And I'm not going to hide my displeasure.  Undecided

The travels and travails of a 25 year racing  fan: http://www.theknightskyracing.blogspot.com
Moni for free

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 04:01:17 AM »

Did Zippy Chippy ever win a race? I remember seeing that horse race at Finger Lakes a couple times.
no.. in that race #100, a 2500 mcl in which he was 2/5 on wallet day at Nmp he had a 6 length lead heading into the stretch only to get beat a nose on the wire.. the Northampton Fair track is a half miler...it was a 2 turn 4 1/2f race..
Moni for free

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 04:03:48 AM »

Wings I would never pick on Scott I find his race calls funny and very entertaining. I can't understand why he is so picked on.
I should have said ashamed. I have never seen so many off or lame horses on a card. Just pathetic.
I just can't understand people in the racing industry putting up with it.
there is no harness industry in California.. you race there or nowhere.. why do you think the Planos go back every year.. its easy pickings.. I laugh when people at forums like horseshit bash them.  Their barn is VERY competitive in upstate NY when they come.  Next time you go to the CalX try to stop in and tell Scott Wings said hi
sporthorse

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 01:47:45 AM »

horse
   I just KNEW FP would be in here somewhere! LoL! Our meet is kinda like that song that goes "the girls all get prettier at closin time!" And your right we sure shouldnt be putting on day races to show our "do I look fat in these?" side. I love that crappy little track any way its home.
                                            dude     
BirdBrain

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 08:34:11 AM »

horse
   I just KNEW FP would be in here somewhere! LoL! Our meet is kinda like that song that goes "the girls all get prettier at closin time!" And your right we sure shouldnt be putting on day races to show our "do I look fat in these?" side. I love that crappy little track any way its home.
                                            dude     

I couldn't have said it better myself!  We go to Arlington several times over the season because of the in-laws, and it is a beautiful track.  Beautiful horses and well maintained.  But I come back home to FP, and I love it even more.  I can walk right up to the back of the stalls in the paddock.  I don't have to go downstairs and out back.  I am right on the track watching the race and feeling that power thundering under my feet.  I don't have to drink Miller beer, and the chicken fingers are the best ever.  I have to admit often times I feel like bringing a bucket of paint and brush with me, but I always think "I love this place." heart
Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 11:20:46 AM »

I disagree that Charlestown is bad.

We only race a few TBs, but we have done well there. As far as I'm concerned the Admin there, both front office and Race-side, are the best.

And I hit the biggest tri I ever had-with my horse on the front.

TS

IT IS BETTER NOT TO ARGUE WITH A FOOL. HE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.
Moni for free

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 12:19:45 PM »

We only race a few TBs, but we have done well there. As far as I'm concerned the Admin there, both front office and Race-side, are the best.

TS
TS that track surface sucks.... they have alot of breakdowns there... too many.... and ugly ones to boot....
Tidy Sister

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »

TS that track surface sucks.... they have alot of breakdowns there... too many.... and ugly ones to boot....
I'm not disagreeing there are some issues, but from spending a pretty fair amount of time there, a good portion of the breakdowns are due to the wreck quality of a lot of the horses racing there. "If you can't do any good anyplace else, be they crippled or crazy, race them there. You can get rid of anything there."

That is the by-word in the race community.

You want a blast----stake out the barns of the highest percentage trainers, get close to the highest % trainer ship-ins.

Take real interest in the highest % trainers breakdown %.

I claimed three top of the ladder claimers there. None ever made another start because of fractures.

TS

IT IS BETTER NOT TO ARGUE WITH A FOOL. HE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 05:55:11 PM »

TS

well chuck town has a reputation of being very cut-throat, but then again what place in this biz isnt. wonder what their med rules are like there
Moni for free

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 06:36:24 PM »

My friend will only ship there as a last resort and trust me, shes at the last resort
Jackson

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 09:59:33 PM »

Hawthorne.  They had small large fields today, but to me the management seems so cheap and the place is pretty run down.  I know there are a lot of other tracks also in poor shape, but I have not been to many tracks- Churchill, Oaklawn, Arlington, Prairie Meadows, Keeneland, Hoosier Park, Balmoral (for harness) and in my opinion Hawthorne is the worst. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: