Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 05:05:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone With Hoof Problems?  (Read 1251 times)
Punkie

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2010, 04:47:38 PM »

I've searched, and found no prior reference to this forum, which is basically Farriers Helping Horse Owners with White Line Disease, Thrush, Abscesses, and other hoof problems and conditions.  Some may find it of value:

http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Sorry if it's been previously mentioned!
Report to moderator   Logged
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:27:36 PM »

If it was, I didn't catch it so thanks for posting.  Interesting site.  I think a large percentage of lameness problems originate in the foot.  A large percentage of attitude problems, too.....

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:23:12 PM »

http://o
No foot no horse. I think it is the most importan t thing that we have to tend to. Thanks for the link,

Happiness is consiously chosen and hard-won!
tankin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 03:03:38 PM »

ok,lets say you have a horse with sore feet.what would good horseman do to help relieve this problem?
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 07:10:39 PM »

Lots of things. I have cushion heel pads on three of  my horses. THe pad seems to absorb the shock and help increase circulation,  Spend some time in the blacksmiths shop and make sure that you are getting what you order.  Be especially demanding when it comes to shoeing the horses hoof level.

sparky

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 09:01:42 PM »

Not many thoroughbred people use Keratex Hoof Hardener but this is an awesome product.  It runs about 50 bucks for a bottle but I, personally, have watched quarter cracks heal in a matter of 10 days or so.  Its great for dry hoofs that are brittle and bruised feet.  An all around great product.  Not crazy about the pad idea as it tends to trap too much moisture on the bottom of the foot.  Generally all my horses I use Keratex on their feet about once or twice a week depending on the weather and daily plus if there is a problem.   I learned the hard way, feet are EVERYTHING.  You are sunk without a good blacksmith and even better groom.
samstar

Harness racing is fun

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 09:38:11 PM »

Not many thoroughbred people use Keratex Hoof Hardener but this is an awesome product.  It runs about 50 bucks for a bottle but I, personally, have watched quarter cracks heal in a matter of 10 days or so.  Its great for dry hoofs that are brittle and bruised feet.  An all around great product.  Not crazy about the pad idea as it tends to trap too much moisture on the bottom of the foot.  Generally all my horses I use Keratex on their feet about once or twice a week depending on the weather and daily plus if there is a problem.   I learned the hard way, feet are EVERYTHING.  You are sunk without a good blacksmith and even better groom.
The therapeutic heel pad has a hole in it allow the moisture to escape.  Not many people are aware of the benefits of this pad but every blacksmith that has seen my shoeing compliments it. 

OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 08:18:27 AM »

I'll be looking into those pads.  I think I have a good candidate for them.  (No John, not your colt)

Check out my Facebook Page:  Flo Browne Horsemanship Training
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: