Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 01, 2014, 11:18:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Deal For Pari-Mutuel Wagering  (Read 494 times)
Sea Biscuit

Member Since Dec 17-2006

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:27:46 AM »

This may have been put up on this site before of which I am not sure. If it has my apologies to the original poster.

This guy Pat Berry who I believe is the Publicity Director at Vernon Downs makes a whole lot of common sense.

Is it the the only solution to harness racing problems? I am not sure but what he talks about is a step in the right direction. All track owners should heed his advice. Here is his message which was originally posted on ustrotting.com

http://www.ustrotting.com/absolutenm/anmviewer.asp?a=34435&z=56

I would love to have the input from all members at this site.

Report to moderator   Logged
bello

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 09:51:12 AM »

Small correction on the author....John Berry not Pat Berry.....Maybe not that small of a correction.

This is great "outside the box" thinking and if any tracks can manage to make a go of it I believe it would be the Jeff Gural racinos of Vernon Downs and Tioga Downs. Goral's racino's, in particular Tioga are racing friendly, unfortunately it is in the middle of a sparsely populated and depressed area. Venue and racing are first class but the handle is anemic. I would love to see this tried at Tioga. Two impediments though.

1. Will there be resistance from simulcasting sites in this idea. They may not agree with the "lower takeout" philosophy and may not take the signal.

2. New York State with it's archaic rules and regulations and inability to move may be an impediment.

Would love to see this pushed through and if any track does this they would get the majority of my betting dollars.
JBCSFL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 09:55:36 AM »

SB, Excellent proposal which I could support. This model would, in theory, lead to increased handle..........unfortunately the track ownership groups of whom I am familiar with are too greedy and are accustomed to taking .......not giving.
Sea Biscuit

Member Since Dec 17-2006

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:08:41 AM »

SB, Excellent proposal which I could support. This model would, in theory, lead to increased handle..........unfortunately the track ownership groups of whom I am familiar with are too greedy and are accustomed to taking .......not giving.

Thanks for your input Bello. I stand corrected on the name.

JB I agree with you that the track owners are greedy but I will take hamburger analogy and a quote form his article.

"“Would you rather sell one hamburger for $8.00 and make a net profit of $3.28 or sell four hamburgers at $6.00 and net $1.28 on each? The answer, of course, is obvious, because the total net profit on the sale of four hamburgers is $5.12, or 64% more"

If this theory is actually put into practice I think the track owners will profit more in the long run. The question is how long. Now this is a difficult thing to answer but at least we should try in my IMHO

Ball And Chain

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 12:28:24 PM »

What if you only sell two hamburgers?
Sea Biscuit

Member Since Dec 17-2006

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 02:00:40 PM »

What if you only sell two hamburgers?

Business is all about taking some risks just as in wagering.

You will find out only when you try.

Maybe you will sell 10 hamburgers who knows.
JBCSFL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »

SB, I agree with Mr. Berry's idea and I also realize the many ramifications involved as bello pointed out in his/her post. It will take all parties involved to come to an agreement to reduce their share of the pie. This will be an uphill battle to which our Chicago friends on this forum can attest to with the current situation of recapture in the Land of Lincoln.
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 02:17:08 PM »

How about 80% pay out, 10% to the purses, and then management can do whatever they think they can with the other 10+ OTB surcharges. Value people for comint TO the track. It has been and will remain my focus to say that WHERE the best comes from is immaterial, it's that the ebt is MADE is what matters.  There is and would be much more to the story, but the way I see it, if the industry helped itself, there would be no ridiculous "transmission" fees , but an agreement that says, all monies bet into any track from any outlet would be divided this way, and a realistic surcharge will be taken off track. The way I figure it, the purses of each track would get 10% of the TCH and that will turn things around in a BIG hurry.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
Sea Biscuit

Member Since Dec 17-2006

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 02:52:28 PM »

SB, I agree with Mr. Berry's idea and I also realize the many ramifications involved as bello pointed out in his/her post. It will take all parties involved to come to an agreement to reduce their share of the pie. This will be an uphill battle to which our Chicago friends on this forum can attest to with the current situation of recapture in the Land of Lincoln.

JB I think it will take one bold owner of a track to take the first leap and like the wilder beast herd that we see on National Geographic the rest will follow.

I know I am being too simplistic but somebody has to take the risk otherwise we are all sitting ducks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: